Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO

Two federal officers robbed, carjacked on way to MB

By Allison Klein
    The Washington Post
    Two federal law enforcement officers and another man were carjacked Wednesday morning at a Prince George's County (Maryland) gas station as they prepared to go on vacation in Myrtle Beach, according to police and a source with knowledge of the investigation.

The law enforcement officers -- one from the Secret Service and one from the Drug Enforcement Administration -- were gassing up a red Hummer with two motorcycles attached to the back at 4:30 a.m. when they were approached by a pair of gunmen, said police and the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the case is open.

The three victims were on their way to Myrtle Beach, the source said.

The gunmen took money from the law enforcement officers, then demanded the keys from the Secret Service officer, who was the driver of the Hummer. He handed them over. Nothing was taken from the third man, police said.

The assailants took the Hummer and left the gas station, which is in the Forestville area, in the 7600 block of Marlboro Pike. None of the victims was harmed, police said.

Prince George's police spotted the Hummer and followed it into the District. The gunmen drove it into an embankment next to an apartment complex at 51st and Fitch streets SE, then jumped out of the vehicle and ran off.

The Secret Service officer, who is 44, and the DEA officer, who is 33, are residents of the county, the source said.

Prince George's and D.C. police were looking for the assailants yesterday
    http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld...s/14675067.htm

JohnnyRotten is offline Rentacop trainer
    What is your opinion of the agent's reaction? I tend to think there's no property worth deadly force but I'm sure there are other opinions out there.

Discuss.
    "My motivation is slipping, people bug me, and I'm tired of wasting my time on drivel."

- Rep. Otis Pike (D - NY)

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    when they were approached by a pair of gunmen,
    They have guns... they pointed them at me..

If I see the chance.. they die..
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

BigBossMan is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    I think they did the right thing.... Under these circumstances. I wonder if the officers had weapons on their person? Thats prob why they just gave up the car... Who knows, would it have turned out different if they were armed?
    Last edited by BigBossMan; 05-31-06 at 05:41 AM.

Verified LEO
    Just Like at work my goal for the day is, I GO HOME. It is easy to sit here and second guess but none of us were there. Maybe they were not armed. Is a car really worth dying? Im glad they were both safe!

JohnnyRotten is offline Rentacop trainer
    I have to agree with Reca in that any circumstance you can walk home from is, by definition, a success.
    "My motivation is slipping, people bug me, and I'm tired of wasting my time on drivel."

- Rep. Otis Pike (D - NY)

Verified LEO
    The Grave yards are full of heros

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRotten
    What is your opinion of the agent's reaction? I tend to think there's no property worth deadly force but I'm sure there are other opinions out there.

Discuss.
    Break into my house or take my car and find out what deadly force is all about. Give an inch and they will take you for every thing you got.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern
    Break into my house or take my car and find out what deadly force is all about. Give an inch and they will take you for every thing you got.

Exactly...
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    If my buddy decided to draw on two armed men and I wasn't armed, he sure as hell better get both of them. I'd rather call my insurance company for a new Hummer than have someone else call my wife from the morgue.

Sheriff is offline Banned
    Let's read the other version of this story...... the hero version....

the fiction version....... the "what if they were armed" version......

it ain't pretty.

--------------------------------------------

Two federal law enforcement officers were killed and another was critically injured during a carjack Wednesday morning at a Prince George's County (Maryland) gas station as they prepared to go on vacation in Myrtle Beach, according to police and a source with knowledge of the investigation.

The law enforcement officers killed -- one from the Secret Service and one from the Drug Enforcement Administration -- were gassing up a red Hummer with two motorcycles attached to the back at 4:30 a.m. when they were approached by a pair of gunmen, said police. As soon as they saw the suspects approaching with weapons in hand, the agents attempted to pull their own weapons. They were fired upon immediately according to the clerk at the gas station. "They didn't have a chance," said clerk Wally Smith, "the gangstas had the jump on them , it just happened so fast!"

After the shootings, the gunmen pointed their weapons at other customers and made them get to the ground. They took wallets, badges and the guns from the law enforcement officers hands -- and the keys from the driver of the Hummer.

The suspects took the Hummer and left the gas station, which is in the Forestville area, in the 7600 block of Marlboro Pike.

Prince George's police spotted the Hummer and followed it into the District. The gunmen drove it into an embankment next to an apartment complex at 51st and Fitch streets SE, then jumped out of the vehicle and ran off.

Funeral arrangements are pending for the Secret Service officer, who is 44, and the DEA officer, who is 33. Both are residents of the county, the source said.

Prince George's and D.C. police were still looking for the assailants yesterday.

FishTail Guest
    I'd rather not start a gunfight in a gas station. Backstop anyone?

Detective7653 is offline Police Detective
    I guess they will be caring off duty all the time now. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Detective7653
    I guess they will be caring off duty all the time now. Who knows.
    They were probably carrying when this robbery took place. But for most officers, the thrill of wearing badges, guns and law enforcement caps of some type ~~WHILE~~ off-duty wears off real quick. Most..... but not all.

This guy here has 10+ years on the job. He still wears his badge, gun and law enforcement hats EVERYHERE he goes though........ a 10+ year rookie. The below picture was taken during a meeting of Crown Victoria fanatics. If the gangstas had seen his gun and badge while approaching him at this gas station, they might shoot first without even thinking about it. Reflex. (I also have images of this same person having guests over for the Memorial Day weekend..... out in his yard playing in a police uniform off-duty. When he visited my city last I asked him politley to leave all his police shirts and police caps at home, and not to wear his badge and gun in a public restaurant.)

Here's the same person, off-duty at the drag strip. Wearing his badge, gun and hat so people will know he is a cop. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    The way I see it, that's his choice. If he wants to put himself at risk by wearing his gun and badge (or NOT wearing his gun and badge), that's his right. Personally, I find comfort in seeing officers when I go out, whether they be on duty or not. I wouldn't advertise like he does, but that's his choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    I wouldn't advertise like he does, but that's his choice.
    I wouldn't either. You grab a gallon of milk and a loaf of
    bread and walk to the front cash reigster. You look up
    and discover a robbery in progress, and the bad guys
    already have the drop on you.

narc is offline Dope Destroyer
    I carry my badge, creds and gun where ever I go...... especially when my hair was long and I looked like a dirtbag. IF YOU HAVE to take action YOU need be prepared to ID yourself.....to incoming officers and other armed citizens. you still need to think about when and IF there is an appropriate time to take action.
    "Here's to us and those like us .....damn few left"

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    Hard to say. If I get a chance to defend myself, I will. That is a far better way to go out than face down on the ground with a round in the back of the head. Then again, not all shootings are fatal. Excecutions are.

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff
    Let's read the other version of this story...... the hero version....

the fiction version....... the "what if they were armed" version......

it ain't pretty.

--------------------------------------------

Two federal law enforcement officers were killed and another was critically injured during a carjack Wednesday morning at a Prince George's County (Maryland) gas station as they prepared to go on vacation in Myrtle Beach, according to police and a source with knowledge of the investigation.

The law enforcement officers killed -- one from the Secret Service and one from the Drug Enforcement Administration -- were gassing up a red Hummer with two motorcycles attached to the back at 4:30 a.m. when they were approached by a pair of gunmen, said police. As soon as they saw the suspects approaching with weapons in hand, the agents attempted to pull their own weapons. They were fired upon immediately according to the clerk at the gas station. "They didn't have a chance," said clerk Wally Smith, "the gangstas had the jump on them , it just happened so fast!"

After the shootings, the gunmen pointed their weapons at other customers and made them get to the ground. They took wallets, badges and the guns from the law enforcement officers hands -- and the keys from the driver of the Hummer.
    Do you every have anything positive to about the profession?

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I agree with RECA and Virginian, in that it is easy to couch quarterback. Can't really know what happened or the best way to react unless you are there. Maybe these guys were administrative feds. On the other hand, aren't the feds supposed to be armed all the time now? And most of us carry stuff in our POV's that is job related. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Sheriff, yet again, you are right on the border of pissing me off. Maybe it is the way you say stuff and not the message you try to convey. Some of the stuff makes sense and I even agree with, except that you have put such a negative spin on it I want to scream obsenities. As far as the cop you are showing in the pics, Okay, he is a little bit too much, but that is his choice. Like Virginian said. But like Narc said, and I am paraphrasing correct me if I have the wrong idea, you have the training and responsibility when you took the oath. In a robbery situation, you have been trained to respond to that situation. You are the professional. Look at it like this... if you are a paramedic and you happen to walk into a post gunfight situation, you would act. You have a duty to act. You have a responsibility to act. To the best of your training and ability. This job is no different. There is no real on/off -duty. There is uniformed and not. This job is not nine to five. You can be called at anytime to respond to a need for more officers. You walk into the office to pick up something or drop something off and they need you, guess what? You win. Get your head out your butt and stop acting like "this is just a job, ho-hum, just checking in and out, assembly line action, no different than the burger flipper at McD's." Sorry all, he got me going.
    Last edited by conalabu; 05-31-06 at 12:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information