Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Should the Boy Scouts be allowed to exclude certain types of people from joining?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 81.48%
  • No

5 18.52%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Supreme Court allows Boy Scouts to continue to exclude certain people from joining

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court rejected an appeal Tuesday from an atheist father over Boy Scout recruiting at his son's public school.

John Scalise had asked the court to bar public schools from opening their doors to Boy Scout recruiters and promoting membership, arguing that the group discriminates against nonreligious boys and parents by denying them membership if they don't swear to religious oaths.

Scalise's dispute with the Scouts dates back to 1998, when his son was a third-grader in Mount Pleasant, Mich.

He claims he and his son were barred from a Scout program at the elementary school because they would not pledge "to do my duty to God and my country." They are nonreligious Humanists.

Michigan courts ruled that the school-Scout partnership did not advance religion in violation of constitutional dictates.

Attorneys for the Scouts and Mount Pleasant school system told justices that the appeal was frivolous.

A Michigan appeals court said that Mount Pleasant schools allowed other organizations to use class facilities, including a hospital group, an Indian tribe, a Baptist church, and a hockey association.

Scalise argued that his son, Benjamin, was taunted by classmates and humiliated by a Boy Scout recruiter in front of other students. Benjamin Scalise is now 17.

The Supreme Court's last Boy Scout case was in 2000. Justices ruled 5-4 at the time that the Boy Scouts can bar gays from serving as troop leaders. The ruling was written by Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, who died last year.

Scalise's attorney, Timothy Taylor of Mount Pleasant, said taxpayer-funded schools are too cozy with the Boy Scouts.

"It's going on all over the country and has been for decades," he said.
    Last edited by Terminator; 05-31-06 at 11:59 PM.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    It is People like this that gets my blood boiling!
    John Scalise had asked the court to bar public schools from opening their doors to Boy Scout recruiters and promoting membership, arguing that the group discriminates against nonreligious boys and parents by denying them membership if they don't swear to religious oaths.

He claims he and his son were barred from a Scout program at the elementary school because they would not pledge "to do my duty to God and my country." They are nonreligious Humanists.
    Good If you can't follow the Rules your out! We have let people like this ruin what this county was founded on! First they take prayer out of schools, then the try to take God out of the pledge. I don't understand why the courts will side with one person ... Nevermind Don't get me started on this!

JohnnyRotten is offline Rentacop trainer
    I thought that the United States was founded on the idea of religious freedom? How come Christians aren't allowed to display their faith in a public forum? Near as I can tell, the Constitution does not demand rejection of religion.
    "My motivation is slipping, people bug me, and I'm tired of wasting my time on drivel."

- Rep. Otis Pike (D - NY)

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Totally with Reca on this one and likewise daren't even get started on the subject! If you can't meet the criteria, you don't get in!

Quote Originally Posted by Reca
    Good If you can't follow the Rules your out! We have let people like this ruin what this county was founded on! First they take prayer out of schools, then the try to take God out of the pledge. I don't understand why the courts will side with one person ... Nevermind Don't get me started on this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo523
    Totally with Reca on this one and likewise daren't even get started on the subject! If you can't meet the criteria, you don't get in!

Now, what if I told you that the Boy Scouts was a public funded group, that your tax money goes to (which is in fact true). Now, is your opinion still the same?

Verified LEO
    Yes I would say the same. This county was founded on christian principles. We need to take our country back. The founders of this country would go crazy if they were here now!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcementForums
    Now, what if I told you that the Boy Scouts was a public funded group, that your tax money goes to (which is in fact true). Now, is your opinion still the same?
    Now that I answered this Go ahead and let me have it. I feel like that was a loaded question!

Talking

Now that I answered this Go ahead and let me have it. I feel like that was a loaded question!

HAHAHAHA....nope, just trying to stir up some thought and conversation and playing Devil's advocate since most don't know that the Boy Scouts are a publicly funded organization.

How can a public organization exclude certain people based on religious beliefs or sexual preferences?

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Now, what if I told you that the
    Boy Scouts was a public funded group that your tax money goes to (which is in fact true). Now, is your opinion still the same?
    \
    How you figure that, where do the funds come from?

Verified LEO
    HAHAHAHA....nope, just trying to stir up some thought and conversation and playing Devil's advocate since most don't know that the Boy Scouts are a publicly funded organization.

How can a public organization exclude certain people based on religious beliefs or sexual preferences?

Your question can be answered easily.

Since the birth of Scouting in 1907, all Scouts and Guides around the world have taken a Scout (or Guide) promise or oath to live up to ideals of the movement, and subscribed to a Scout Law.

The Oath
    On my honor, I will do my best
    To do my duty to God and my country
    To obey the Scout Law;
    To help other people at all times;
    To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

The Law
    A Scout is:

Trustworthy.

A Scout tells the truth. He is honest, and he keeps his promises. People can depend on him.
    Loyal.

A Scout is true to his family, friends, Scout leaders, school, and nation.
    Helpful.

A Scout cares about other people. He willingly volunteers to help others without expecting payment or reward.
    Friendly.

A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He offers his friendship to people of all races and nations, and respects them even if their beliefs and customs are different from his own.
    Courteous.

A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows that using good manners makes it easier for people to get along.
    Kind.

A Scout knows there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. Without good reason, he does not harm or kill any living thing.
    Obedient.

A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobeying them.
    Cheerful.

A Scout looks for the bright side of life. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.
    Thrifty.

A Scout works to pay his own way and to help others. He saves for the future. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.
    Brave.

A Scout can face danger although he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at him or threaten him.
    Clean.

A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He chooses the company of those who live by high standards. He helps keep his home and community clean.
    Reverent.

A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.

Now I can tell you that a Gay person or someone who does not believe in GOD does not belong in the scouts. The rules have been around since the scouts were founded. If you decide to go against the laws of the scouts then you do not belong.

A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.
    The God part came only after the Mormons became heavy financial supporters of the group. The Boy Scouts used to be mostly Mormons.
    Last edited by Terminator; 06-01-06 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bayern
    \
    How you figure that, where do the funds come from?

Tax money and government funds. It's all public info.

Verified LEO
    That is only after the Mormons became heavy financial supporters of the group. The Boy Scouts used to be mostly Mormons.
    And what year did this take place?

If I wanted to Join LEF but hated cops do you think they should have to change the rules for me? NO as the Scouts should not have to change rules to appease the liberals!

And what year did this take place?
    The year has slipped me, I would have to research it....though it hasn't been a real, real long time.

If I wanted to Join LEF but hated cops do you think they should have to change the rules for me? NO as the Scouts should not have to change rules to appease the liberals!
    My answer would be, is LEF funded by the public?

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    My bet is these people are just trying to raise a stink because they crave attention. I was in scouts, and they accept all kinds of different morons. I'm sure the dad saw "God" mentioned in the oath/pledge and decided to go be a bitch to the scoutmasters, then they got sick of him and tossed the family out. Good riddance.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    "A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others."

It's kind of like terrorists, the good guys have to follow all the rules the bad guys make them up or not as they go along.

The Scouts respect other beliefs, other beliefs donít respect the Scouts.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Verified LEO
    Who Funds Military in the us?
    Who Funds Schools in the US?
    who Funds Youth Baseball in the US?

The govt does. and if you want to be a part of any of these then you have to follow there laws. No different then the Scouts!

Who Funds Military in the us?
    Who Funds Schools in the US?
    who Funds Youth Baseball in the US?

The govt does. and if you want to be a part of any of these then you have to follow there laws. No different then the Scouts!

And all of the above accept individuals, reguardless of their religious beliefs or sexual preferences.

Again, the Boy Scouts are publicly funded. If a school or a high school baseball team didn't allow a person in solely because they were an atheist, or homosexual, what would happen?

Verified LEO
    And all of the above accept individuals, reguardless of their religious beliefs or sexual preferences.

Again, the Boy Scouts are publicly funded. If a school or a high school baseball team didn't allow a person in solely because they were an atheist, or homosexual, what would happen?

You are right BUT>>>>> If you Joined a baseball team and wanted to run the wrong what do you think they would do? they would tell them to run to first and if you continued not to listen you would be thrown off.

The scouts would accept the kid who did not believe in GOD. But he would have to say the pledge as it is part of being a scout. and that was your original argument

You are right BUT>>>>> If you Joined a baseball team and wanted to run the wrong what do you think they would do? they would tell them to run to first and if you continued not to listen you would be thrown off.
    Apples and oranges. The baseball team would allow you to join if you're an athiest or homosexual. The Scouts wouldn't.

The scouts would accept the kid who did not believe in GOD. But he would have to say the pledge as it is part of being a scout. and that was your original argument
    Nope, they sure wouldn't. Not if they knew about it. In fact, a television show I watch sent in some letters to the Boy Scouts of America, using a fake family (Dad was a Doctor, Mom was a lawyer), asking if their son, who was an athiest, could be accepted in. They were told no. I know of one case where a Boy Scout was kicked out when they found out he was an athiest. Again, the God part was not added in, until the Mormons pressured the Scouts to do it, after financially backing them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information