Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

No charges against McKinney in scuffle with Capitol Police

WASHINGTON - A grand jury declined to indict Rep. Cynthia McKinney on Friday in connection with a confrontation in which she admitted hitting a police officer who tried to stop her from entering a House office building.

The grand jury had been considering the case since shortly after the March 29 incident, which has led to much discussion on Capitol Hill about race and the conduct of lawmakers and the officers who protect them.

"We respect the decision of the grand jury in this difficult matter," said U.S. Attorney Kenneth Wainstein.

His statement, released late Friday, also included support for the officer involved, Paul McKenna, and the Capitol Police. He said, "This is a tremendously difficult job, and it is one that Officer McKenna and his colleagues perform with the utmost professionalism and dignity."

With that, Wainstein closed a case that has simmered with racial and political tension.

The encounter began when McKinney tried to enter a House office building without walking through a metal detector or wearing the lapel pin that identifies members of Congress.

McKenna did not recognize her as a member of Congress and asked her three times to stop. When she ignored him, he tried to stop her. McKinney then hit him.

McKinney described the encounter as "racial profiling," insisting she had been assaulted and had done nothing wrong.

McKinney is black. McKenna is white.

She received little public support for that stance, even within the Congressional Black Caucus.

Wainstein, meanwhile, referred the matter to a federal grand jury, which then subpoenaed several House aides thought to have witnessed the encounter. McKenna, too, testified.

Members of the CBC privately urged McKinney to put the matter behind her. The next morning, she appeared on the House floor to apologize.

"I am sorry that this misunderstanding happened at all, and I regret its escalation" McKinney, D-Ga., said April 6. "There should not have been any physical contact in this incident."

link
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    And who all is surprised?

No one stands up to "Communist" McKinney when she plays that race card.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

dlocke1419 is offline Officer First Class
    This is BULLSHI*, he should have maced her atleast she would have got something.

FishTail Guest
    Sounds like there was a prima facie case to answer to me. Should have indicted her and left it to a trial jury to consider whether her actions were unlawful.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I bet if you look at the makeup of the G.J., you might get a clue..... The race card works every time..... It worked for O.J., why not her?
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What a crock. Her "apology" was nothing more than her saying the officer had no right to stop her. He was doing his job in protecting members of Congress, she was being a bitch.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information