Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

New Orleans mayor wants national guard

New Orleans mayor wants national guard to patrol city after deadly weekend

ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW ORLEANS, June 19 — Mayor Ray Nagin asked the governor Monday to send National Guard troops to patrol his city after a violent weekend in which five teenagers were shot to death.
    City leaders convened a special meeting to voice outrage after the killings Saturday in an area near the central business district.

''If we don't have wind knocking us down, we have shooters knocking us down, and that's unacceptable,'' said City Council President Oliver Thomas.
    The shootings brought this year's murder toll to 52, raising fears that violence was back on the rise in a city that had been plagued by violent crime even before Hurricane Katrina drove residents away last year.
    Saturday's incident was one of the bloodiest in this city's turbulent history.
    Nagin asked the governor to send up to 300 National Guard troops and 60 state police officers to patrol the city. The City Council said it also would consider increasing overtime for police to put more officers on the street.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I'll volunteer, I know the city pretty well after Katrina.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

National Guard Ordered to NOLA
    Associated Press | June 20, 2006
    NEW ORLEANS - Acting at the mayor's request, Gov. Kathleen Blanco said Monday she would send National Guard troops and state police to patrol the streets of New Orleans after a bloody weekend in which six people were killed.

"The situation is urgent," Blanco said. "Things like this should never happen, and I am going to do all I can to stop it."

One hundred National Guardsmen with law enforcement experience and 60 state police officers were to be sent to the city Tuesday. Up to 200 more troops would be deployed after that, said Denise Bottcher, the governor's spokeswoman.

Earlier Monday, Mayor Ray Nagin had asked for as many as 300 National Guardsmen and 60 state police officers.

It was the first time the National Guard has been used for law enforcement in the United States since the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Nagin had sought the troops after five teenagers in an SUV were shot and killed in the city's deadliest attack in at least 11 years. Police said the attack was apparently motivated by drugs or revenge. Also, a man was stabbed to death Sunday night in an argument over beer.

"Today is a day when New Orleanians are stepping up. We've had enough," Nagin said. "This is our line in the sand. We're saying we're not going any further."

Nagin said he would not allow criminals to take over when the city is still trying to recover from the hurricane. The mayor said troops should be posted in heavily flooded neighborhoods to free police to concentrate on hot spots elsewhere.

Community leaders have raised fears that the violence could discourage people from moving back to New Orleans.

The National Guard had as many as 15,000 Soldiers in the city in the weeks after Katrina. As many as 2,000 stayed until February, said Louisiana National Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Pete Schneider.

Blanco said plans were being crafted last week to step up anti-crime efforts, but the weekend slayings forced authorities to move faster. She said she was talking with New Orleans Police Chief Warren Riley about his exact needs.

Riley assured residents that the Guard was "not coming in and taking over the city."

"You will have to look for them to find them," Riley said. "They will not be uptown, downtown or in the French Quarter. Our people will be there. This will allow us to have more of our people there."

The police force has been operating with depleted ranks. It has about 1,375 officers, compared with about 1,750 before Katrina. The city's pre-Katrina population of 465,000 has rebounded to about half its size.

The governor urged the mayor to put a juvenile curfew in place. New Orleans has a curfew for juveniles, but Riley said it is not being enforced because there is no place to put young offenders.

Blanco offered two warnings: "First, to parents, keep your teenagers off the streets and out of trouble. Second, to judges, I am urging you to keep hardened criminals where they belong - in jail and off the streets. We must protect our citizens."

Nagin's request for help had been backed by the City Council.

"If we don't have wind knocking us down, we have shooters knocking us down, and that's unacceptable," said City Council President Oliver Thomas.

Reaction to the mayor's request was mixed.

"As we tell people to come home, we have to keep these areas safe," said LaToya Cantrell, president of the Broadmoor Improvement Association, a heavily flooded neighborhood. "It's long overdue. Neighborhoods should not have been left alone to begin with. Pulling out was a mistake."

But Sherman Copelin, president of the New Orleans East Business Association, cautioned that handing over some neighborhoods to troops unfamiliar with those areas could be a mistake, saying officials should not "let someone come in and be a housekeeper."

The killings over the weekend brought this year's murder toll to 53, raising fears that violence was back on the rise in a city that was plagued by violent crime before Katrina drove out much of the population last year.

Crime has been creeping back into the city: 17 killings in the first three months of 2006, and 36 since the start of April.

At least three other people, ages 16 to 27, have been fatally shot in the same area where the five teenagers were killed early Saturday.

In addition to Nagin's request for troops and state police, the City Council said it would consider increasing overtime for police to put more officers on the street. It also called for a "crime summit" within two weeks.

"We have to deal with it now," Councilman Arnold Fielkow said. "If we don't make people feel safe in their homes, nothing will happen. Let's make this priority No. 1."
    between you

Violence continues in Richmond
    By From NBC12 News
    WWBT-TV
    Police say they found a man suffering from gunshot wounds in the 800 block of Overbrook road near Chamberlayne Avenue last night. Officers say the man was found lying on a front porch. The victim told police he had been shot in a nearby alleyway. His injuries are not considered life-threatening. So far, no word on a suspect.

Police released the name of Richmond's latest homicide victim. The body of 33-year-old "Darrell Emanuel Scott" was found in the 1100 block of Saint Paul Street early Monday morning. It's the city's third homicide since Friday night.

Where the tanks, we need tanks rolling down Main St.; that'll restore order.

But don't hurt anyone or infringe on anyone’s civil rights.
    Oh yes everyone on patrol tie one hand behind your back.

Why don't they just put the mayor and city concil of New Orleans on patrol they know exactly what to do?

between you

nitestokker is offline Banned

Thumbs down

Who are the morons that re-elected this clown? He only seems to be able to operate smoothly with a microphone in one hand, the red phone to the White House in the other hand and MY tax money in his pockets. Did anyone in that town not ever hear of the words corruption or incompetence? Jeez! Maybe if you took better care of your cops, Ray, they could kick some ass on these pukes and you wouldn't need the Big Green Machine to bail your ass out. Here's a thought: Hire some of the baddest, meanest MF'ers from LAPD who work NIGHT SHIFT in South Central. Turn your back for a couple of weeks and I bet you get your peeps in line quick, fast and in a hurry Ray! C'mon now! I've never been to Mardis Gras and I'd like to go one day. But if it's gonna be Little Bahgdad, I'm takin' my money to Vegas!

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    Maybe he should hire Willy-Wonka and some Umpa-Lumpas as Police Officers. Then he could begin to police his city the way he wants it rebuilt....Chocolate!!
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut Aficionado
    Maybe he should hire Willy-Wonka and some Umpa-Lumpas as Police Officers. Then he could begin to police his city the way he wants it rebuilt....Chocolate!!
    Not in good taste. That has all kinds of things implied that ain't cool. Beyond that, that place was a shithole before. Why did he think anything was going to change?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Verified LEO
    NOT IN GOOD TASTE?? Willy-Wonka makes the best Chocolate!!

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    This is a sign! We are becoming a police state! Save the Children?

Notice how they say "teenagers" and not "Gang members". How much are you willing to bet this is PC bullshit ?
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    PC bullshit from the Associated Press?? Impossible!

nitestokker is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    This is a sign! We are becoming a police state! Save the Children?

Notice how they say "teenagers" and not "Gang members". How much are you willing to bet this is PC bullshit ?

Someone could make a fortune publishing a PC=Plain English translation guide! Don't steal my idea guys! Dammit, I gotta figure some way to retire. It damn sure ain't gonna be on the monster salary I make now.............matter of fact: New thread idea! Bye.

Verified LEO
    As long as you dont say anything in "bad Taste".....

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly
    Violence continues in Richmond
    By From NBC12 News
    WWBT-TV
    Police say they found a man suffering from gunshot wounds in the 800 block of Overbrook road near Chamberlayne Avenue last night. Officers say the man was found lying on a front porch. The victim told police he had been shot in a nearby alleyway. His injuries are not considered life-threatening. So far, no word on a suspect.

Where the tanks, we need tanks rolling down Main St.; that'll restore order.

But don't hurt anyone or infringe on anyone’s civil rights.
    Oh yes everyone on patrol tie one hand behind your back.

Why don't they just put the mayor and city concil of New Orleans on patrol they know exactly what to do?

Damn the tanks! We need the A-Team!!!

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    I'm of two minds on this one. My first mindset is New Orleans is shit and to let it sink. Yes, I've been there and its a nasty place. OTOH, when Katrina ran out all the criminals, some of them came to MY community. Yes, I pulled security for Katrina refugees. I also arrested a shitload of em for various things.

So here's my solution. Fix New Orleans and let the criminals go home.......THEN sink the place. The mayor can go with them.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash
    I'm of two minds on this one. My first mindset is New Orleans is shit and to let it sink. Yes, I've been there and its a nasty place. OTOH, when Katrina ran out all the criminals, some of them came to MY community. Yes, I pulled security for Katrina refugees. I also arrested a shitload of em for various things.

So here's my solution. Fix New Orleans and let the criminals go home.......THEN sink the place. The mayor can go with them.
    I agree, get them out of our places and send them the frik back south, and let it sink.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    The scary thing to me is that the National Guard is not trained nor was it ever designed to do LE. The rules of warfare are a hell of a lot different than those of LE. Using the N.G. is what caused Kent State decades ago. Some 19 year old kid from the suburbs with a loaded M-16 is going to get scared when some street denizens get in his face. The dumbshits will think that he's trained to use the same restraint that cops are and "boom". Unfortunately, the kid will suffer for it.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    I bet he won't get in a person in uniforms face again will he?
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Thread Information