Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Bodies of missing soldiers found

Fuck them. Pull out our troups and make the whole country one big smoking radioactive hole in the ground.

Bodies of missing U.S. soldiers recovered
    AP - 6 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The bodies of two U.S. soldiers reported captured last week have been recovered, and an Iraqi official said Tuesday the men were "killed in a barbaric way." Al-Qaida in Iraq claimed responsibility for killing the soldiers, and said the successor to slain terror leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi had "slaughtered" them, according to a Web statement that could not be authenticated. "Coalition forces have recovered what we believe are the remains of the soldiers," U.S. military spokesman Major General William Caldwell told a news conference in Baghdad.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/iraq
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    Damn it..
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    This has happened before in every other war. The response is going to be the same, too. The joke-of-the-week that happens to be in power at the time will say some good words to the public while figuring out a way to turn a profit in the back. Hate politics, hate good guys dying. Need to just get in there, do the job and get the frick out.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    BROWNSVILLE, Texas — As the families of two missing soldiers waited to hear if two bodies found Tuesday were their loved ones, the uncle of one lashed out at the government, saying it didn't do enough to bring the men home safe.

"Because the U.S. government did not have a plan in place, my nephew has paid for it with his life," Ken MacKenzie, uncle of Army Pfc. Kristian Menchaca, told NBC's "Today" show.

U.S. Maj. Gen. William Caldwell said the military has recovered what are believed to be the remains of two missing soldiers, but he said the cause of death was "undeterminable at this point." Click here to read the story.

A member of the Army's casualty assistance office was meeting with Menchaca's mother Tuesday morning and said it could take two or three days for DNA tests to be completed.

Menchaca's mother, Maria Vasquez, was sobbing when she answered the door of her Brownsville, Texas, home. Her niece, Felipa Gomez, said the family had been watching television news reports of the Iraqi military announcement.

"She's hanging in there," and still holding on to hope that Menchaca will make it back alive, Gomez said. "She might be frightened, but she won't show it."

(Story continues below)

ADVERTISEMENTS
    Advertise Here

Sgt. 1st Class Jesus Rolnmedina, who spoke with her, said the bodies "had a lot of trauma."

The first report that the soldiers had been found came from Iraqi Maj. Gen. Abdul-Aziz Mohammed, who announced that the bodies of Menchaca, 23, of Houston, and Army Pfc. Thomas Lowell Tucker, 25, of Madras, Ore., had been discovered on a street in Youssifiyah, just south of Baghdad.

The two soldiers had been manning checkpoints when they were attacked Friday and another soldier with them was killed.

A group that includes Al Qaeda in Iraq claimed Monday it had kidnapped the two soldiers, but it did not name them and the U.S. military was skeptical of the claim. The group posted another statement found on the Internet Tuesday saying it had killed the two.

"I think the U.S. government was too slow to react to this," MacKenzie said Tuesday. "They should have had a plan in place."

MacKenzie said the government should have offered a $100 million reward and offered to exchange mujahideen detainees for the soldiers' lives. The government seized enough money from Saddam Hussein to afford it, he said.

The military has said more than 8,000 U.S. and Iraqi troops were searching for the missing men.

In Tucker's hometown in Oregon, yellow ribbons adorn the trees and store reader boards offer prayers of hope for his safe return.

A spokesman for the Tucker family, Oregon National Guard Sgt. Randy Everett, said Tuesday they had not heard any specifics from the military but that they were expecting the worst.

Tucker's relatives declined interviews but released the text of a phone message Monday that Tucker recently left on an answering machine, telling his mother to be proud of him.

"I'm defending my country," Tucker says on the recording. "Tell sis and my nephews hello for me, I'm OK, I'm on my way."

The family said in a statement Monday that their son had joined the military because he wanted to "do something positive." They also sent their sympathy to the family of Spc. David J. Babineau, 25, of Springfield, Mass., who was killed in the attack.

Lyndsay Kowaleski, a high school classmate of Tucker's, described "a sense of helplessness" after learning Tucker was missing.

"Our hearts are broken with our friend being in this situation," she said.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I understand wanting your family member back safely, but in the interest of the other soldiers and their families, paying off terrorists is never a good idea. In this case, they probably didn't want money in the first place, and the soldiers probably wouldn't have been released even if money had been offered. Had they been paid off, it would only encourage the same activity again. What we need to do is hunt these people down and capture or kill them, and send a message to the populace who might give us information that they will be protected if they do so.

CopsRCool302 Guest
    I say, drop a bomb on them all and end it.. bring our guys/gals home...

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CopsRCool302
    I say, drop a bomb on them all and end it.. bring our guys/gals home...
    Bring the troops home, yes. Drop a bomb? Then you'd be no better than them. There are millions of innocent people there, who just want a normal life. Not everyone from a Middle Eastern country is actually a terrorist, or do you not know that?
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Those "innocent people" need to stand up and take their countries back from the people who are doing this kind of thing. As it is, the region has been filled people who are willing to die for their nutcase causes of hatred and intolerance, and moreover, they're willing to take everyone else with them. The innocents are allowing this to happen. It has the feel of a prison run by the inmates.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

CopsRCool302 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42
    Bring the troops home, yes. Drop a bomb? Then you'd be no better than them. There are millions of innocent people there, who just want a normal life. Not everyone from a Middle Eastern country is actually a terrorist, or do you not know that?

Just so dang angry at this whole mess.. I know there is alot of innocent people, I feel bad for them to, OK I will take the Bomb back, and say LET'S GET OUR PEOPLE OUT! but now, in doing so, that country can't defend themselves.... what a mess, what I hate about the media is, they should never go into details about the deaths, "how mangled their body's where"

I think where gonna be their for years, it's gonna be another Vietnam, Bush wants to get the bad guys, it will never happen, it's like saying to a police officer "sir, we don't need you anymore, crime has ended" crime will always be with us ti'll the end of time.

I have family Members severing, so it's hitting home with me.. I'm just very angry and sad over the whole deal.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Get our men and women out of that hell hole and let them keep blowing each other up. We have been there long enough. Or at least let the ones that WANT to come home, come home.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    If we left now, we'd be in a position worse than we were with Saddam in power. It would be a terrorist haven, like Afghanistan was. We have to finish what we started. It's going to cost lives, but that's what happens in combat. Leaving could cost thousands more lives, because it could allow terrorists to organize and base out of Iraq.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    The two soldiers that were killed were from my sister battalion. I was in the 3/502nd and they were from the 1/50nd INF. While I didnt know the soldiers personally, it still tugs at the emotions as they were doing a job that a year ago I was doing.

People have this slanted view of lets just pull the troops out and leave. Yes, that is a plan, however that would create a huge power vacuum and we would have the likes of Somalia all over again. (With the warlords taking over sections of the areas and running like it was their own empire).

Was it a mistake to go over there? I'm not sure, but that point is moot. We are over there, might as well do the job as best as able.

Have there been improvements over in the Iraqi world? Most def. It has gone from a country with little infrastructure to one that can now at least produce its own power, water and provide basic health care for its citizens.

Do the citizens want us gone? Yes, and believe me, the soldiers there dont want to be there any more than we want them there. Are the Iraqi people standing up for themselves? Yes, for the most part. Keep in mind how many people are signing up for the Iraqi police forces and military units. Majority of the insurgents get turned in by their neighbors, in fact it was a neighbor that turned in the Al-Quda (know I spelled it wrong) leader that got killed.

This will not be a quick fix area. It took decades to get this way, it wont take a few weeks or a year to fix it. In my humble opinion, it will take a good while, long enough for the Allied troops there to stabilize the situation, get the fledling Iraqi security forces on their feet and working before we can leave.

Falcata is offline UK police officer
    I see the British troops are still standing shoulder to shoulder with their American colleagues..

'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
    but because of those who look on and do nothing.'

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Exactly why I feel like you guys are our brothers, Safety Nice to know we can count on each other.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety1st
    I see the British troops are still standing shoulder to shoulder with their American colleagues..

It's nice to know that we're not alone in this fight for freedom. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone serving. God bless...

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42
    Getting to the point that I don't care.
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Thread Information