Welcome to the APBWeb.
    1*girl Guest

Great Grandmother Guilty On All Counts

Having spent time working in Geriatrics, I find some amusement in this story...

ATLANTA -- A jury convicted 79-year-old Lena Driskell of murder today in the shooting of her 85-year-old former boyfriend, rejecting her plea of insanity.

The judge sentenced her to life in prison plus five years, and did not say when she would be eligible for parole.

The jury convicted her on all four counts -- malice murder, felony murder, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm. Prosecutors did not seek the death penalty.

In closing arguments, Driskell's attorneys said her belief that her ex-boyfriend was a geriatric gigolo was a delusion that became the motive for shooting him to death.

But prosecutors argued that Driskell could not plead insanity, since she admitted she knew she was wrong when she shot Herman Winslow.

Defense attorney Deborah Poole told jurors Winslow was too old to have affairs with dozens of women, as Driskell claimed.

Poole said -- quote -- "There is no other woman. "Mister Winslow was 85 years old."

In considering a verdict of not guilty by reason of mental defect, Poole described Driskell's erratic behavior towards the end of the relationship: Watching Winslow's door for hours at a time, calling his apartment and disguising her voice. Poole said that when Driskell thought she was being stood up so Winslow could see other women, he was more likely taking a nap or feeling ill.

Poole said Driskell and Winslow were in love, but her delusions drove her to "a distrust that grew and grew and grew until it eventually put Miss Driskell in the state you find her today."

Driskell rocked in her chair as Senior Assistant District Attorney Fani Willis cautioned jurors not to confuse a jealous rage with temporary insanity. Willis said Driskell knew what she was doing when she shot Winslow on the couch in the lobby of the apartment building where the former couple lived.

Willis said -- quote -- "Her mind is sharp as a tack."

deputy29 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Listening to my mother and her friends, who are in their 80's and 90's, their biggest complaint is that men their age can't perform. So that fact that she claimed her 85 year old boyfriend was cheating on her is bull! Good thing my guy is 11 years younger than me.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon

Talking Suga Mama

Quote Originally Posted by deputy29
    Listening to my mother and her friends, who are in their 80's and 90's, their biggest complaint is that men their age can't perform. So that fact that she claimed her 85 year old boyfriend was cheating on her is bull! Good thing my guy is 11 years younger than me.
    So you like em young, I could use a suga mama
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by fscf3801
    I'm telling M. Day that you are trying to find a new Suga Momma.

"Stupid should hurt."

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by fscf3801

You could use a lot of things.. A woman other than one with the name of brad, a sane mind, and a green card....

Thread Information