Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

Letís hear it for the pos.

Screw the cop who puts his ass on the line every day.

By From NBC12 News
    WWBT-TV
    June 30, 2006
    Richmond's Police Chief will testify in a lawsuit over a deadly police shooting. It happened four years ago when an officer shot and killed Verlon Johnson. Chief Rodney Monroe wasn't even chief when Johnson died. But, attorneys for Johnson's widow believe a remark the chief made back in February will help their wrongful death lawsuit against the city.

It all stems back to public statements Chief Monroe made this past spring about deadly force training.

In a newspaper article, the chief admits there was “no actual use of force training at the police department before he became chief.”

Now, a judge agrees that the statement needs to put on record in a deposition. Johnson’s family attorney Steve Benjamin says, “All along the city has said in this lawsuit that their use of force training was perfectly adequate and that they aren't responsible for what the officer did or didn't do.”

Johnson was killed on May 17, 2002 while standing on his porch.

Officer David Melvin, who was acquitted on second degree murder charges, has always said he believed Johnson was armed and that he refused to raise his hands out his pockets. Benjamin says, "It's finally speaking plainly and honestly and that is what we hope to get in this deposition.”

The police department isn't commenting on this new development since there is still an ongoing federal investigation into the department's police shootings over the past five years.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Don't y'all get most of your "Use of Force" training in Police Academy, anyway???

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Don't y'all get most of your "Use of Force" training in Police Academy, anyway???
    Depends on the officer and the agency responsible for his training. Unfortunately, I believe more departments than not believe UoF training begins and ends in the academy. But the truth is, like any other training, it's something you need to refresh yourself on often and sadly, as with my personal experience, you have to keep re-reading your department's policies on your own time (I keep important chapters out of our policy manuel under my bathroom sink to "refresh" myself when I'm caught without reading material).

That's why I can never encourage officers enough to constantly suppliment and practice your DT training and how it applies to UoF policy.

That's not to say anything wrong was done in the above scenario. Whenever someone dies in a shooting- and it's not the police- it's not a matter of if the department gets sued, it's a matter of when.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

AGalCop is offline Between Rookie and Ol' Timer
    We have use of force training a couple times a year, along with defensive tactics, handcuffing, etc. I don't think you can train too much, especially not the hands on stuff.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion44
    But the truth is, like any other training, it's something you need to refresh yourself on often and sadly, as with my personal experience, you have to keep re-reading your department's policies on your own time (I keep important chapters out of our policy manuel under my bathroom sink to "refresh" myself when I'm caught without reading material).
    That's a good point...

And it sucks to be out of reading material when everything else is a "go"

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information