Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Doctor Allegedly Told Patient To Shoot Self

Maybe he shouldn't be diciplined, but I think his bedside manor needs some work

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/9481716/detail.html

Judge Orders Disciplinary Proceedings To Stop

POSTED: 6:58 am CDT July 7, 2006

CONCORD, N.H. -- A judge has ordered the state Board of Medicine to stop disciplinary proceedings against a doctor accused of telling a patient she was so obese she might only be attractive to black men and advising another to shoot herself following brain surgery.

Judge Edward Fitzgerald made clear in a ruling released Thursday that he did not condone remarks attributed to Dr. Terry Bennett and found them unnecessary, but ruled Bennett had a right to speak bluntly.

"It is nonetheless important ... to ensure that physicians and patients are free to discuss matters relating to health without fear of government reprisal, even if such discussions may sometimes be harsh, rude or offensive to the listener," he concluded in the ruling Wednesday.

The complaints against Bennett included charges that he told a white patient that she was so obese she might only be attractive to black men.

"Let's face it, if your husband were to die tomorrow, who would want you?" the board has said Bennett told the overweight patient in June 2004. "Well, men might want you, but not the types you want to want you. Might even be a black guy," it quoted him as saying, based on the woman's complaint.

Bennett, 68, has denied making the comment, but has said he's seen polls supporting that position.

"If you look at the polling, nobody likes fat women," he said last year. "Is it right? No. Is it sensible? No. Is it true? Yeah ... Black guys are the only group that don't mind that. Is that racist to say that?"

A 2001 complaint accused Bennett of telling a woman recovering from brain surgery to buy a pistol and shoot herself to end her suffering. The doctor was also accused of speaking harshly to a woman about how her son might have contracted hepatitis, according to the ruling.

Bennett claimed victory.

"If you look at the polling, nobody likes fat women," he said last year. "Is it right? No. Is it sensible? No. Is it true? Yeah ... Black guys are the only group that don't mind that. Is that racist to say that?"
    -- Dr. Terry Bennett

"The question now is: Will the board waste more of your and my tax dollars and appeal this, or accept done as done?" he said in a telephone interview.

Fitzgerald also ruled that state and American Medical Association requirements to treat patients with "compassion and respect for human dignity and rights" are so vague they are unconstitutional. Bennett probably would have won his challenges before the board, the judge said.

Bennett said he planned to sue everyone involved for "malicious prosecution."

"I am not inclined to be forgiving about it," he said. "It's been devastating and infuriating."

Assistant Attorney General Elyse Alkalay, who represented the board in the court case, said she was reviewing the ruling and had not decided whether to appeal.

Bennett could have faced penalties ranging from a written reprimand to suspension or revocation of his medical license.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 07-07-06 at 11:37 AM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Once again, you have no right to not be offended. I agree with the judge. Want a second opinion? Okay, you're ugly, too.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sounds like this guy was the role model for House.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Now that man has fine taste in wimmenz.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Love that show!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

moggsp98 is offline Press HARD, 5 copies
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Why is it that when someone speaks the truth these days, everyone wants to cut thier nuts off in retribution?

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Because it's more fun to point out flaws in others than it is to deal with the truth.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I don't remember the details, but about a year ago here in Oregon a doctor got in a wringer for being "rude" to an obese woman when he told her something like she was a slob.

I agree with them, there is no excuse for the way some people balloon up and then expect the rest of us to pick up their medical bills via taxes or our insurance. I have to buy my own health insurance through the city and it went up 25% this year. Mostly because of people like this woman!
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What used to piss me off was the people I'd work with who took a 10 minute smoke break every half hour. I don't smoke, so I got a break at lunch. That's it. I got told once "But I HAVE to have a cig!" Now, you freaking don't. Ass.

/rant
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Getting back to the doctor, pretty damn unprofessional.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewtx
    That's the beauty of our free market economy. Don't like it? Go somewhere else.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion44
    That's the beauty of our free market economy. Don't like it? Go somewhere else.

I sure would.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewtx
    I suspect he was getting tired of dealing with this individual and was trying to shock her into doing something about her weight.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    I suspect he was getting tired of dealing with this individual and was trying to shock her into doing something about her weight.

Maybe so, although I'm most disturbed by the allegation that he told a woman to shoot herself in the head following brain surgery.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I somehow suspect that it may have been more along the lines of "if you (insert behavior here) after the surgery, you may as well shoot yourself in the head. It'd have the same effect," and the patient didn't want to hear that.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    I somehow suspect that it may have been more along the lines of "if you (insert behavior here) after the surgery, you may as well shoot yourself in the head. It'd have the same effect," and the patient didn't want to hear that.
    quite possible... some people have a bad habit of taking things out of context.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    Now that man has fine taste in wimmenz.

Of course he does. He's English.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Once upon a time, in a land far far away, well not far for me, obviously, A certain officer, who looked a bit like me, was out running in the forest, with 16 Body Guard Students and 5 other Instructors. Nearing the end of the run the 22 Police Officers ran out onto a little used farm track that led back to the Training Camp and found a car. The engine was running and a hose ran from the exhaust and in through the window which was taped up. The man inside was surprised find 22 police officers smashing his windows and dragging him out. They took him back to the camp and called out the local police to deal with him. While waiting the man explained that his life was over as his wife had left him for another man and his business in France was failing. Hearing shooting he asked where he was and was told he was in the Metropolitan Police Firearms Training School. The Officer, who looked a bit like me, said that's what he should have done. Not driven all the way to England and tried to gas himself, but stayed in France and shot himself, far quicker. The man was taken away by local police. A couple of months go by and a message is received, from the local police, that the man had been released, gone back to France and shot himself. The message also said it couldn't be a very good Firearms Training School, as the man had missed with the first barrel of his shotgun.

Oops
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42
    Of course he does. He's English.
    I still can't quite get over his characters in Blackadder though. Pinky of Pinky and the Brain reminded me of him.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Thread Information