Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

Judge Waives Elderly Woman's Jaywalk Fine

Judge Waives Elderly Woman's Jaywalk Fine
    By Associated Press
    Sat Jul 8, 2:26 PM

LOS ANGELES - An 82-year-old woman who was given a jaywalking ticket for taking too long to cross a busy street had her $114 fine waived by a court commissioner.

Mayvis Coyle became a media sensation after the case drew publicity. Camera crews showed up at her trailer unannounced and senior citizen advocates were outraged.

Last week, Coyle received by mail the June 20 ruling from Superior Court Commissioner Jeffrey Harkavy who found her guilty of jaywalking but suspended the fine.

"It sounds like a compromise, like they're trying to save face," Coyle's son, Jim Coyle, told the Los Angeles Daily News, which first reported the incident. "We're grateful for everyone's support."

Coyle was vacationing in Colorado and was unavailable for comment.

Police officials said Coyle entered a busy San Fernando Valley intersection on Feb. 15 after the red "Don't Walk" sign began blinking. Coyle maintained she walked across the intersection with her cane in one hand and groceries in the other on a white "Walk" signal.

Coyle said a motorcycle officer who stopped her said, "You're obstructing the flow of traffic," before issuing her the ticket.

Police officials maintained throughout the case that the officer acted appropriately and was looking out for Coyle's welfare. The department subsequently launched a series of pedestrian-safety workshops at local senior centers.

"How could she have gone any faster?" said Bill Daniel, chief executive officer of ONEgeneration, a senior-services agency. "It just seems like we have to be more patient."

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    The officer was worried that a bunch of assholes were going to be late to pick up their lattes' because this old lady couldn't walk fast enough?

I don't blame senior groups for being ticked. That's what pisses me off about traffic nazis, everything is so fucking black and white. And a lot of traffic guys I know work traffic just because they have no idea about how to do police work. Any moron can write tickets, this is a perfect example.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    I don't blame senior groups for being ticked. That's what pisses me off about traffic nazis, everything is so fucking black and white. And a lot of traffic guys I know work traffic just because they have no idea about how to do police work. Any moron can write tickets, this is a perfect example.
    +1. Hearing stuff like this reinforces negative feelings toward all cops - Little things do matter. If the cop had offered to help her, and pulled into the intersection with his lights, it would have been much better P.R. (at least for the people who witnessed it, since good deeds rarely make the news).

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information