Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

LAPD Officer Shot by 3 Year Old Son

Boy, 3, Shoots Father, an LAPD Officer, With Service Weapon

By Garrett Therolf and Richard Winton, LA Times Staff Writers
    July 12, 2006

The two are at an Anaheim intersection in the family pickup when the child fires the handgun. The police veteran is in critical condition.

The 3-year-old son of a Los Angeles police officer got hold of his father's service handgun Tuesday and shot him as they sat in the family's pickup at a traffic light near their home in Anaheim, police said.

The boy, who was in the back seat, fired a single round into 35-year-old Enrique Chavez's upper back, and the bullet went out through the officer's chest, police said. Still stopped at the light, Chavez passed his terrified son, Colin, to a stranger at a bus stop nearby and asked for help.

Paramedics rushed Chavez to UCI Medical Center in Orange, where doctors listed him in critical condition.

Los Angeles Police Department sources said there is a threat of paralysis from the injury to the 10-year veteran officer.

Capt. Bill Murphy, one of Chavez's commanding officers, said the bullet hit several vital areas.

"It is a terrible tragedy," Police Chief William J. Bratton said after visiting the family at the hospital. "It is a reminder to anyone that has a firearm that you have to be conscious about keeping that firearm secure and keeping it away from children."

Department spokesman Lt. Paul Vernon said officers are allowed to carry their guns during off hours but with the mandate that they "maintain control of their weapon at all times."

The boy was not wearing a child restraint, according to Anaheim Police Sgt. Tim Schmidt. Investigators were unable to say where he took the 9-millimeter gun from or whether it was locked up.

Chavez was also carrying a backup weapon in the truck, but Schmidt would not say where it was stored or what kind of weapon it was.

It is a crime in California if a child finds a loaded gun in a place one controls and shoots someone with it. The law is in the state's basic training manual for police.

The law also requires children riding in a car to be placed in safety seats until they are 6 years old or weigh 60 pounds.

Anaheim police began a criminal investigation into the shooting that will determine whether those laws were broken.

Schmidt said the department had not yet learned whether the bullet flew out of the truck during the 11:45 a.m. shooting at La Palma Avenue and Harbor Boulevard. The adjacent La Palma Park was filled with children playing and people eating their lunches on benches.

The LAPD will also conduct a review to determine whether policies were violated, Vernon said.

Chavez patrolled one of the department's toughest divisions, Newton, which includes a portion of South Los Angeles between downtown and Florence Avenue. He had recently returned to street patrol after an assignment to the gang unit.

Anaheim Police Sgt. Rick Martinez, a department spokesman, said most police officers carry their guns off duty.

Officers said LAPD personnel generally pursue two approaches to gun safety at home.

One group tells their children about the danger a gun poses but says the parent has to carry it. These officers tells the child that if for some reason the parent leaves the weapon in the open, the youngster should not touch it and should tell an adult immediately.

Other officers immediately secure their guns in a lock box when they return home.

Nevertheless, Chavez is the third Los Angeles area police officer to be shot by a relative with his or her service weapon in recent weeks.

On Monday, Pasadena police said Officer Karen White, contrary to initial reports, did not attempt suicide in Compton last month when she was shot in the face but was wounded when she tried to wrestle her gun from her suicidal 18-year-old son.

White, a 10-year department veteran, spoke to investigators about the incident for the first time Friday. The same day, her son admitted the accidental shooting last month and turned himself in to sheriff's investigators in Compton.

On July 2, LAPD Officer Ronald Cade was shot and wounded off duty with his service weapon by Yolanda Cade, his wife of two weeks. She had seen a text message on his phone that he had sent to someone else, according to the district attorney's office.

Ronald Cade is the subject of in internal affairs investigation in connection with the shooting. His wife has been charged with three counts of attempted murder.

Times staff writers Patrick McGreevy and H.G. Reza contributed to this report.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

1*girl Guest
    I only skimmed through the first half of this story, but...I'm sorry there's a threat of paralysis and all but a veteran of 10 years? Why wasn't the gun out of the child's reach? And why wasn't the child in a safety seat/belt?

Quote Originally Posted by 1*girl
    I only skimmed through the first half of this story, but...I'm sorry there's a threat of paralysis and all but a veteran of 10 years? Why wasn't the gun out of the child's reach? And why wasn't the child in a safety seat/belt?
    I think those issues are under investigation.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg
    One group tells their children about the danger a gun poses but says the parent has to carry it. These officers tells the child that if for some reason the parent leaves the weapon in the open, the youngster should not touch it and should tell an adult immediately.

That was my approach, but I kept all my guns out of my kids' reach until they were old enough to understand that concept. All my grandkids are under 8 years old so all my guns are put away or locked up when they come over.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    That was my approach, but I kept all my guns out of my kids' reach until they were old enough to understand that concept. All my grandkids are under 8 years old so all my guns are put away or locked up when they come over.
    I was raised the same way. We always knew where the guns were, and not to touch them on pain of death!

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    When is LAPD going to stop being the whipping boy of the media and start getting some pride back? Jeez.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Threads Merged!

AgentParsons is offline I'm no damn "Bounty Hunter"; I'm a Professional

I feel bad for this Officer; this is a tragic accident that could most certainly been avoided. But wow the kid was 3! I wasn't much older then that the first time I pulled the trigger.

I was 5 years old and at my Uncles with my father watching the plinking and thought it looked like fun so I picked up a first gun I saw pointed it at the barrel and pulled the trigger ending up with 3 stitches in my head after the 8" barrel of the Colt .357 King Cobra came up and smacked me in the face!

I've been shooting ever since but knew enough to leave a gun alone if an adult wasn't around. Then again my uncle was a Detroit Police Officer and drunk who would come over have a few beers with my father then unload his .38 cal snug nose revolver and let me run around playing cops and robbers with my friends in the house!

Hindsight being 20/20 and all I now know this was not a wise idea. I have started my daughter shooting when she was 8; now at 13 she’s a 10 ringer at 20 feet with my Beretta 92f .40cal.

I'm one that believes that telling a kid not to touch a firearm will only deepen the curious factor and make them want to play with it and shoot it just once to see what it's like. So not only do I teach my kid, niece and nephews to stay away from firearms and let an adult know if they see out laying loose some place. I each them basic handgun safety and how to shoot. This so far has worked wonders.

They have reported other kids to myself and adults with firearms and only shoot at the range under proper supervision and while wearing body armor. That’s right I make them put on a vest while they are on the line and allow one at a time to the line!
    Last edited by AgentParsons; 07-16-06 at 06:34 AM.
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion!

1*girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentParsons
    I'm one that believes that telling a kid not to touch a firearm will only deepen the the couris factor and make them want to play with it and shoot it just once to see what it's like. So not only do I teach my kid, niece and nephews to stay away from firearms and let an adult know if they see out laying loose some place. I teach them basic handgun safety and how to shoot. This so far has worked wonders.
    Exactly. My dad started me shooting when I was tiny, but decided to wait with my brother since he has a short term attention span and very clumsy personality. Sooo of course later my brother became curious and one day ended up shooting a hole in the floor, and another time through a wall. At 17, he now knows how to properly handle a firearm lol.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I was raised the same way. We always knew where the guns were, and not to touch them on pain of death!
    What I did was tell my kids that anytime they wanted to touch them or look at them, just let me know and they could. They only asked once and when they found out they could, that lost the fascination, I guess. I took my stepsons shooting now and then and I never had a problem with them bothering them either.

But three years old is way too young to let kids have access.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

I guess I need to clarify - I was being a little flip with the "pain of death" thing.

We were taught that a gun should be handled with care and respect. That every gun is loaded, and should be handled that way - even if you opened the barrel to check. That the only time you handle a gun is to clean it, or use it - never to "play." And that you NEVER, EVER pointed one at anyone - unless you were planning on killing them.

AgentParsons is offline I'm no damn "Bounty Hunter"; I'm a Professional
    And that you NEVER, EVER pointed one at anyone - unless you were planning on killing them.
    I was always told not to point a weapon and anything I didn't intend to destroy ... right along with my life!
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion!

Thread Information