Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Dumbass politician waved weapon at utility workers

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/15057768.htm

S.C. lawmaker arrested after gun brandished at utility workers

Monday, July 17, 2006

CHARLESTON, S.C. - A South Carolina lawmaker was arrested after his pistol fired when he went to investigate utility workers checking for storm damage in the backyard of his parents' home.

Rep. Wallace Scarborough, R-Charleston, was charged with two counts of assault with intent to kill after the 47-year-old brandished and pointed a pistol at utility workers and then fired his gun about 9:45 p.m. Saturday, according to an affidavit.

Scarborough, who was house sitting for his parents, was released from jail Sunday on a personal recognizance bond, according to jail officials.

Two South Carolina Electric and Gas employees were checking electric equipment after a series of storms passed through the area, SCE&G spokesman Eric Boomhower said.

Scarborough's lawyer, state Rep. John Graham Altman, said Scarborough asked the workers to leave and when they told him they had a right to be there, the lawmaker returned to the house to call police.

On the way, the gun accidentally discharged and a bullet hit the porch, said Altman, R-Charleston.

One of the workers said the lawmaker shined a flashlight on the pistol and said, "You see what I have? Get off my property," according to the incident report. The workers fled when the gun went off, the report said.

Altman said he wants the charges dismissed and an apology from the electric company.

"I don't think it's against the law to fire a pistol into your own back porch. It's absolutely obscene to think that a judge would uphold these charges," Altman said.

Altman said the workers had "no right to be in his backyard at 9:30 at night. You ought to knock on the door."

Boomhower said the storm cut power in the area but Altman said the lights stayed on at Scarborough's parents home.

"It's not uncommon for our employees to go into areas where damage has been done and implement repairs," Boomhower said. "I don't know without consulting some of our legal folks if there are any restrictions as to where they can go."
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I don't think it's against the law to fire a pistol into your own back porch.
    It is here!

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    wow... and he doesn't understand why he got arrested?
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Staci is offline Rookie
    Ha ha ha ha ha... Well, when the politicians have the potential to be this dense, clarifies the foundational problems of the school systems...

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    HAHA! I knew it.. this guy graduated from The Citadel as well. Lordy....
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    ...On the way, the gun accidentally discharged and a bullet hit the porch, said Altman, R-Charleston.

...Altman said he wants the charges dismissed and an apology from the electric company.
    What a dumbass - He wants an appology? I would be so embarassed I'd never think to ask for an appology.

And there's almost no such thing as an accidental discharge, just careless handling
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 07-17-06 at 10:18 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Wonder if I could sign a personal recognizance bond if my weapon had an "accidental discharge" if this lawmaker was in my backyard?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I wonder what he'd think if someone waved a gun at him while he's pounding his campaign signs into someone else's property.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    And there's almost no such thing as an accidental discharge, just careless handling
    indeed... Perhaps a firearm safety course should be required for those who wish to purchase one.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Thread Information