Welcome to the APBWeb.
    refusetostop is offline Special Operations

Angry Taser Taser Taser

Suspect Shocks Officer With His Own Taser

POSTED: 11:46 am EDT July 19, 2006

DARLINGTON, S.C. -- Darlington County authorities say a suspect managed to remove his handcuffs and shock a Hartsville police officer with his own Taser.

Authorities say 30-year-old Steve Lee Menius was arrested at his home yesterday on a charge of violating his probation.

Hartsville Police Chief Tim Kemp says Menius tried to climb in the front seat of the officer's car and grabbed the officer's Taser and shocked him.

Menius drove off in the patrol car but was arrested again when he jumped from the cruiser after a train blocked his way.

Menius has been charged with assaulting a law enforcement officer and failing to stop for police.

This guy is lucky he is still alive!
    Obedience of the law is demanded; not asked as a favor.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That would have been deadly force here...
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

refusetostop is offline Special Operations
    Yes here you could have used deadly force against him as well. But I guess if you have been tased you would not be able to shoot. Damn glad the officer got away with only the shock.
    Obedience of the law is demanded; not asked as a favor.
    Theodore Roosevelt

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    How in the hell was he able to climb over the backseat? If their dept. had tasers, I would hope that they would have dividers between the seats as well.

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    They probably spent all their money on their tasers; couldn't afford screens.
    When you find yourself in a hole............QUIT DIGGING!!!!!!!!!

OK guys time to come clean. I am not only a police officer but I am also a big time movie star. I am using my real photo as my avatar now. Please NO autographs!!!!

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Only a little more info... http://www.morningnewsonline.com/mid...7-18-0008.html

A Hartsville man shocked a police officer with a Taser and drove off in a police car after being arrested Tuesday morning, Hartsville Police Chief Tim Kemp said.

Steve Lee Menius, 30, of 432 W. Richardson Ave. faces charges of assaulting a law enforcement officer, violating his probation and failing to stop for a blue light, according to Darlington County booking reports.

Police arrested Menius after arriving at his residence with a search warrant. While in the back seat of a police car on the way to the Darlington County Detention Center, Menius somehow removed his handcuffs and then tried to get into the front seat, Kemp said.

Menius grabbed the officer's Taser as the two struggled, and although the officer managed to remove the Taser's cartridge, Menius shocked the officer by pressing the weapon against him, Kemp said.

The officer pulled onto the side of S.C. 151 just outside Hartsville and stepped from his vehicle as he continued to fight Menius, Kemp said.

That was when the suspect jumped inside the officer's car and drove off.

The incident happened about 6.5 miles west of the Darlington County Detention Center.

Menius was apprehended a second time after he jumped from the police car because he could not pass a train carrying trash across U.S. 15, Kemp said.

The Darlington County Sheriff's Office and the S.C. Highway Patrol also were involved in the chase.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well, in light of new information, I don't think getting a stun drive is justifiable deadly force.

Stun drives only deliver pain compliance, not immobilization (as you all assumingly know)
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information