Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Drug War Police Tactics Endanger Innocent Citizens

Drug War Police Tactics Endanger Innocent Citizens

Feel free to read this liberal whiner's crap and respond to him using the link at the bottom of the article.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    You know, the article actually started out pretty good, IMO. He brought up some valid points that should challenge the way one thinks.

Then, his logic starts to unravel.

Therefore, police have to rely on informants to tip them off to whose dealing, and where. These informants are notoriously unreliable.
    Excellent point. Strangers or people you've only just met can be very unreliable...

As I've begun to write about this issue, many more victims of these raids have called or emailed to tell me their own stories - most of which never made it into the newspaper.
    Unless of course these strangers are people that email you stories that fit your agenda, then they must be true.

Of course, even if the suspect is guilty of small-time dope use or dope dealing, I would argue that that doesn't mean there's justification for kicking down their doors and invading their homes as they're sleeping.
    I've often argued that illegal drugs should be legal. But, the reality is, they aren't. Everyone knows they aren't. So if you are "small time dealing" and you get your door kicked in at 3am, consider it cost of doing business.

It's just a bad article all around. The writer's agenda is clearly drug prohibition, but he's using the wrong platform. If you want drugs legalized, just write an articale about that.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

2525 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I've always found FOX news to be unreliable. They routinely bring on people with opposite viewpoints to their right-wing bias; and these people usually hold opinions that are in the minority and these people obviously cannot articulate well enough to defend themselves. What I'm saying is, FOX regularly brings on dummies with an opinion that makes no sense.

Then the newspeople at FOX rag on these idiots and belittle them on live television. It's sensational television and leaves little room for facts. In my opinion, it makes for poor news-telling and is tabloid-esque. I am of the opinion that FOX "news" broadcasts are skewed, biased and they do not make any effort to have objective and factual stories.

CNN used to be pretty good, but I've found lately they like to make sensational stories as well.

I'll stick to BBC or CTV for my news sources.
    Last edited by 2525; 07-23-06 at 01:57 PM.
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer. "

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Libertarian would be a better description for the author; he does work for Cato after all.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    IMHO, most of the people who manage to get airtime, on either side, tend to represent the extreme. I can't say I'm fond of extremists of any kind, I'm really more of the "middle of the road" viewpoint. Hence, I do tend to avoid talk shows, debates and quasi-news reporting. If I want someone else's opinion, I ask someone I respect, not some random inflamitory nutjob that the media has elected as their spokesidiot.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    ...and of course, as this guy talks about knocking down doors, dragging people out of bed at 3am, and cuffing them at gunpoint... he fails to mention that this is done so the dealers cant get to their guns fast enough for a counter-attack...
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    "Violence in the name of evil only begets more violence... But violence in the name of justice brings peace".

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

TwanimusPrime is offline Moving on up...to the east side!
    The thing to most notice about this article is how he barlly glosses over the fact these are only done with Search Warrants. Says that its based on routinely unreliable information. But doens't at all mention that a Judge has to agree that the information is reliable enough for a warrant.

Nor does he mention that the increase in the use of SWAT teams has correlated with the increase in the violence in drug crime. Its all easy for him to say when its not his life on the line when serving these things.

While its only a guess, its obvious this guy comes from the legalize drugs crowd (as many Libertarians are.) If we can't legaize it, we can try to lax enforcement by saying its harming innocent civilians. The same way California legalized medical marijuana by saying it was for terminally ill cancer patients. While now doctors are writing blank check pot prescriptions for back pain.

***This is off topic, but I patrol right on the AZ side of the AZ/CA Border. I LOVE catching people with pot and they say "but I have a prescription." Thats nice, but not only does AZ not recognize prescription marijuana, possesion is a felony here***

Sorry, got off on a tanget there But yeah, I prefer Fox News to the other news outlets, but thats not saying much.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I think its like any media article, they pick and choose to make it sound good from their point. As a SWAT Team commander for over ten years and working with other teams in our area, I'm aware of one time another team hit the wrong house. Safety records have been great.

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    Let me summarize this article:

click HERE !!!

click HERE !!!
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Thread Information