Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Calling 911: Ok/ Calling 911 because your power is out and you're missing Leno: Bad

Although some might view missing Jay Leno as an emergency, officials with the Mesa Police Department definitely don't agree.

But that didn't stop one Mesa man from calling 9-1-1 during Tuesday night's severe storm to report that he was missing the popular late-night comedian's show.

Click this .mp3 file link to listen to the 911 call

Here's a snippet of the conversation
    Caller: Do you have any information about the blackout?
    Dispatch: No, I don't. Do you have an emergency, though?
    Caller: Yeah, I couldn't watch Jay Leno.

This non-emergency call has left police officials urging the public to keep in mind that 9-1-1 is solely for emergencies, according to a Wednesday morning press release.

"During thunderstorms like the one we experienced last night it is imperative callers speak with their utility provider, rather than 9-1-1 when there is a power outage, unless they have a police or fire emergency," according to the press release.

The storm brought a surge of 9-1-1 calls into Mesa dispatchers, tripling the call volume, according to Mesa Police.

Dispatchers received 441 9-1-1 calls and 901 non-emergency calls totaling 1,342 calls Tuesday night between 9 p.m. and 2 a.m. A week ago Tuesday, 472 calls were received; 121 9-1-1 calls and 351 non-emergency calls.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    duh
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    It's not on fire I know I will call the police it's their job to sort stuff out

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    last shift I worked we had two 911 calls for "someone knocking at the door" guess they never heard of answering the door?
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I question normally went something like "Is the power out?", "When will it back on?" You know what you would just love to say.

Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CountyFourteen
    last shift I worked we had two 911 calls for "someone knocking at the door" guess they never heard of answering the door?
    I work a security job in the neighboring richer than average city of Germantown, TN. They get calls all the time from residents for stupid stuff like that...

"There's a man with a clipboard and a MLGW Utility Company Shirt going door to door ringing peoples doorbells and looking in their side yards, can you send police? I think he's casing the place."

No one ever answers the door, no one asks through the door what they need, they just pretend no one is home and call the police.

Often times, they'll call just on skin color.

I've often heard the call go out "caller reports several hispanics in his neighbor's backyard, and one of them just took a lawnmower out of the backyard and put it in their truck"

I've always found it amusing that the caller has a tendency to neglet to mention that the truck is a landscaping truck, and his neighbor doesn't own a lawnmower. It's also amazing that the caller wouldn't call his neighbor first.

Yes, it's possible that those calls could be a clever ploy and a true need for police is warranted, but these calls go out everyday, and I haven't seen just cause for the call yet!
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcementForums
    Although some might view missing Jay Leno as an emergency, officials with the Mesa Police Department definitely don't agree.

But that didn't stop one Mesa man from calling 9-1-1 during Tuesday night's severe storm to report that he was missing the popular late-night comedian's show.

Click this .mp3 file link to listen to the 911 call

Here's a snippet of the conversation
    Caller: Do you have any information about the blackout?
    Dispatch: No, I don't. Do you have an emergency, though?
    Caller: Yeah, I couldn't watch Jay Leno.

This non-emergency call has left police officials urging the public to keep in mind that 9-1-1 is solely for emergencies, according to a Wednesday morning press release.

"During thunderstorms like the one we experienced last night it is imperative callers speak with their utility provider, rather than 9-1-1 when there is a power outage, unless they have a police or fire emergency," according to the press release.

The storm brought a surge of 9-1-1 calls into Mesa dispatchers, tripling the call volume, according to Mesa Police.

Dispatchers received 441 9-1-1 calls and 901 non-emergency calls totaling 1,342 calls Tuesday night between 9 p.m. and 2 a.m. A week ago Tuesday, 472 calls were received; 121 9-1-1 calls and 351 non-emergency calls.
    Ehm, your link is missing ...
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    When my wife worked at the Information Desk for another city, she got transfers from 911 operators who got calls about Cable TV going out during the O.J. Trial - A truck had hit a power pole along I-35

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information