Medley Officer Involved In Accident Is Promoted

A Medley Police Officer who was the victim of a hit and run rollover accident Tuesday recovered quickly enough to make it to his promotion to sergeant the next day, but what makes the case odd is that his parents stumbled upon his accident on their way to Miami to attend his promotion.

Sgt. Bill Eckels' marked SUV flipped over in the southbound lanes of I-75 at Northwest 138th Street in Miami Lakes Tuesday. Robert and Josephine Eckels saw the SUV roll over and over again after an accident troopers say was caused by a car that swerved into a lane of traffic.

"Something told me it was him when I saw his car flying," said Josephine Eckels. "I knew it was my son."

Wednesday, Josephine and his father, Robert Eckels, had the honor of being able to pin the stripes on their son's uniform at his promotion ceremony.

The Florida Highway Patrol says the driver of a green Honda veered into the right lane of traffic on the expressway, forcing other drivers to go into the officer's path. FHP later reported the driver of the car was Renaty E. Garcia of Hialeah. She left the scene of the accident, claiming she didnít know that the accident had occurred.

FHP charged Garcia with Improper Lane Change and Leaving the Scene of an Accident.

The officer was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center where he was treated.