Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

Sheriff Puts Dogs in Jail

Sheriff Puts Dogs in Jail (It's a good thing

by Annii Van Shaick Associate Editor allpets.com

Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Arizona, is famous all right. He's famous for doing things like constructing a "tent city" jail in the middle of the Arizona desert and using it to house his toughest prisoners, saving taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars. While the ACLU and Amnesty International were not amused by the spartan conditions, tough daily regimentation and lack of air-conditioning in tent city, polls show 90% of Arizona residents are pleased with the Sheriff's no-nonsense response to crime. But that's not the half of it. To prevent the black-market theft of prison underpants, Arpaio has ordered all regulation underwear to be dyed pink, and he's got his prisoners wearing old-fashioned striped uniforms with the words ESCAPEE emblazoned on the inside (in case they get any bright ideas about trying to fashion a runaway disguise by turning their clothes inside out).

His latest move has animal-lovers all over America cheering: aside from severely cracking down on animal abuse in the area, Arpaio has moved the dogs and cats who are victims of abuse, or being held as evidence in domestic violence cases, into the air-conditioned, spacious First Avenue jail. And their caretakers? A corps of female prisoners who are busy hugging, petting and looking after these previously unfortunate creatures; painting the insides of the jail with pictures of trees, flowers and fire hydrants, to make them feel at home. allpets.com is proud to present an interview with a man who cheerfully brags about feeding these animals better than his human prisoners, and who believes that every animal deserves a chance at a good life.

A: What made you decide to house abused and abandoned pets in the First Avenue Jail?

SJ: When you do a law enforcement investigation you have to keep the animals as evidence, sometimes until a judge will rule on whether the person should get the dog back. So where do you put all those pets in the meantime? About eight months ago, I removed all of the inmates from our oldest jail, because it had some plumbing problems. So I got the idea to put all the dogs and cats in those empty cell blocks, which happen to be air-conditioned! Now they have a beautiful place to live - it has beds and everything in there. And inmates look after the pets!

A: Do you think it's therapeutic for the inmates to do this?

SJ: The inmates painted the walls so the animals wouldn't think it looked too much like a jail! They love it. They love taking care of the animals.... they even said "we did wrong and we deserve to be in jail, but these dogs do not deserve to be abused."

A: What do you think it is about living with animals that can help us become better people?

SJ: Well, I love this quote from Gandhi: "The greatness of a nation in its moral progress can be judged by the way people treat animals." Think about that! I did this because I wanted to send a message to everybody that people should stop abusing our dogs and cats. I take risks and I publicize what I do because people need to know what the problems are.

Copyright 2000, allpets.com

I really like Joe.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    thats good
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Cool!
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

katiemh Guest
    I think I saw this a long time ago on Animal Planet . Apparently some of the inmates are really taking to their dog. I'm sure it helps their time go by quicker, too.

I like Joe too.

1*girl Guest
    He's awesome! On a side note, I don't about y'all, but who really cares if it's therapeutic for the inmates?

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1*girl
    He's awesome! On a side note, I don't about y'all, but who really cares if it's therapeutic for the inmates?
    It's a great idea, and the fact that the inmates are coming away from it with a new found sense of responsibility and (possibly) a better outlook on life "outside" may help them to keep from reoffending. It's the same concept that is behind training programs behind bars (like what dla4079 is looking to set up.) It helps the animals and gives inmates purpose and direction that is outside of the typical prison atmosphere. Think of that old saw about idle hands. If you give them something to do, it helps keep them out of trouble. And if it's something they enjoy doing, they'll want to continue with it. It's positive reinforcement.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Gotta love Sheriff Joe...

Might as well keep em calm and care for the animals ( the 4 legged ones) at the same time.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1*girl
    I don't about y'all, but who really cares if it's therapeutic for the inmates?
    Ever heard of giving someone, anyone a second chance? We all know what positive roles animals play in our lives and these cats and dogs make a difference, first to the inmates who may have never experienced the love or the need that these animals can offer, and, second, to the animals themselves. Picture this: the inmates learn joy, compassion, responsibility; have the opportunity to enjoy unconditional love, and hugs and kisses with their special cat or canine. I see this as the beginning to a new lease on life for someone who most likely needs it, and an animal, which otherwise, would have been abused and/or killed. It’s a win/win situation for everyone involved. Think about it!
    Last edited by Crimebytes2; 07-30-06 at 04:32 PM.

dla4079 is offline Corporal
    Verified C/O

Way to go Joe!!!!!

Way to go Joe!!!!!!

Capt. D. Larimore
    NTISF Gang Unit

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    It's a great idea, and the fact that the inmates are coming away from it with a new found sense of responsibility and (possibly) a better outlook on life "outside" may help them to keep from reoffending. It's the same concept that is behind training programs behind bars (like what dla4079 is looking to set up.) It helps the animals and gives inmates purpose and direction that is outside of the typical prison atmosphere. Think of that old saw about idle hands. If you give them something to do, it helps keep them out of trouble. And if it's something they enjoy doing, they'll want to continue with it. It's positive reinforcement.

I agree. Caring for animals is often the first time crooks have ever thought of anyone but themselves. If it's a side benefit, great.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

1*girl Guest
    Ok. Both Ducky and Crimebytes made good points. That's fine and dandy, good for them, woohoo. (sorry not trying to sound like a smartass, I just woke up from a nap lol) Some people yes deserve a second chance. I'll go with what y'all said. But, in my own personal opinions (and no one has to agree), there are those that don't deserve a second chance. Murderers and child abusers are my 2, uh, soapboxes and I just have no sympathy for them. But like I said, that's just me and nobody has to agree.

Thread Information