Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

"student Busted For Taking Cop Pictures"

STUDENT BUSTED FOR TAKING COP PICTURES

The charge against Cruz was based on a new law, allegedly prohibiting people from taking pictures of police officers with cell phones.
    Anyone have similar laws where they work/live?

A Penn State college senior was arrested after he pointed his camera cell phone at police activity in his neighborhood. A Philadelphia NBC News Channel 10 report says the family of Neftaly Cruz, 21, is claiming the cops had "no right to come onto their property and arrest their 21-year-old son simply because he was using his cell phone's camera."

Cruz had heard a commotion outside his parents' home and walked out the door to investigate it. When he saw the street lined with police, he flipped his phone open to take a picture. Within moments, an officer came to his back gate, put him into a police car, cuffed him and took him to jail. According to a neighbor's report, the cop spoke only once during this process, allegedly saying, "You should have just went [sic] in the house and minded your own business instead of trying to take pictures off your picture phone."

The charge against Cruz was based on a new law, allegedly prohibiting people from taking pictures of police officers with cell phones. Cruz is quoted as saying, "They threatened to charge me with conspiracy, impeding an investigation, obstruction of a investigation..." Larry Frankel of the local ACLU chapter, reportedly said, "There is no law that prevents people from taking pictures of what anybody can see on the street," adding that, "it's rather scary that in this country you could actually be taken down to police headquarters for taking a picture on your cell phone of activities that are clearly visible on the street." - ST

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    No laws here as of yet but I have seen a lot more people taking pics of me at work.

I guess I should start wearing more clothing at work.

When you find yourself in a hole............QUIT DIGGING!!!!!!!!!

OK guys time to come clean. I am not only a police officer but I am also a big time movie star. I am using my real photo as my avatar now. Please NO autographs!!!!

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Bad law, but that is pretty annoying. My sarge was telling me about a riot they had where he had one guy in his face the whole time snapping pictures with his phone.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Anybody that was in LE right after the Rodney King deal, probably got video-taped a lot.

Easy to handle. Face them and give them a big smile and a wave. Been there, done that. Aggravates the crapola out of them. They're thinking that they're gonna catch you pounding the doo-doo out of somebody, and you just wave to them. Ruins their whole day.

Besides, if people are doing things "by the book", there should be no problem with having their picture taken.
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I typically don't take pics of someone if I don't have permission, but I guess that's why I'm not a reporter. I prefer the smiling and waving pics.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlefdal
    No laws here as of yet but I have seen a lot more people taking pics of me at work.

I guess I should start wearing more clothing at work.

The gun belt and shades are more than enough; what more do you need?

Well, maybe steel toed boots.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Don't forget, he needs his hat to make his stops legal.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    What a coincidence if it's some of the same states that make it illegal to record your own conversations

Anything within public view or public earshot should be recordable for personal use, including legal defense - But distribution is another totally separate issue, in my mind.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 08-02-06 at 03:16 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    No law over here.

This is dam annoying especially when some drunk idiot gets himself arrested and all his idiotic mates start filming or taking photos with phones. Usually it would work in our favour as they show how many people there are around and their behaviour.

Depending on the law where you are you could always sieze the phone as evidence or take the persons details to obtain an evidence or witness summons at a later date.

Thread Information