Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO

Another Atta Boy for Sheriff Joe..

From Arizona Republic Paper.....

Kool-Aid is being phased out for county inmates

Michelle Park
    The Arizona Republic
    Jul. 31, 2006 12:00 AM

Come the end of July, there won't be any Mountainberry Punch served at certain Valley dinner tables.

Instead of it, and other flavors of Kool-Aid, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio will limit his 10,000 inmates' drink choices to water. He began phasing out Kool-Aid, which the inmates call "bug juice," last week.

Discontinuing the powdered, sugary soft drink will save $43,000 a year, Arpaio says. And Kool-Aid has little nutritional value, he added.

"When you're in jail, you should not live better than you do on the outside," he said. "That's an extra kind of thing, as far as I'm concerned."

He's thinking ketchup may be next.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Cool. If they don't like it, they won't want to come back. The threat of prison used to be a deterrent, now it's looked on as three hots and a cot, where someone can be a big fish in a little pond.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

pc830cop is offline Just another squirrel looking for a NUT
    Verified LEO
    i wished i worked for someone like him. our management are penny pinching administrators who forgot what it is like to be out on the streets.

Angry Mexican is offline Angry Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by pc830cop
    i wished i worked for someone like him. our management are penny pinching administrators who forgot what it is like to be out on the streets.

Me too!!!! We need more like him.

sflcop is offline They pay me to play 12 hours a day!
    From all that I have read, he is an amazing Sheriff, with even more amazing approval ratings.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

sflcop@LAWENFORCEMENTFORUMS.CO M

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

mainedawg is offline da dawg
    Joe's Da Man.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I think the most admirable quality in his "reforming" of the jails system is in it's simplicity. All he cares about is driving the criminal element out of his county, and it's those kinds of tactics that will do just that.

I wish Joe would run for Sheriff in my county. When I worked at the jail, our Sheriff allowed a Jewish inmate to have his "Kosher" meal delivered from a local deli, just because he threatened to sue the Sheriff if he didn't.

Nevermind the fact that the inmates in the jail are never served pork anyway.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Centurion, was it ever tempting to tell him that whatever he did to land in the pokey was probably against his faith, too? In for a penny and all that.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

zpd307 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    makes you wonder how he treats his deputies.
    MANNNNN.... YOU MUST BE FAST, BECAUSE I WAS HAULIN ASS WHEN I PASSED YOU!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by zpd307
    makes you wonder how he treats his deputies.

I have yet to read or hear of any of his deputies complaianing. His beef is strictly with inmates who contniue to come back and want to take the system for a ride. Me personally, I have no problems with pink underwear!!!

TwanimusPrime is offline Moving on up...to the east side!
    Sheriff Joe has lost all support from me. Yeah, he runs his department well, but he played some serious quid pro quo in the 2002 Governors Election.

Joe, as you know, is a Conservative Republican. Well, in 2002, he endorsed the liberal Democrat Janet Napalitano for Governor. She won a very close election, and his endorsement no doubt swayed a lot of moderate conservative voters. She is a very liberal democrat, but tried to run as a "moderate"

Why would Joe do such a thing? Well, Napalitano was the AZ Attorney General for a while before she ran for Governor. And she swept quite a few complaints and suits against Maricopa County Sheriff and Joe himself under the rug.

You cover me as Attorney general, I'll support you for governor *scratch scratch scratch*

As for her being a moderate Governor? Well, in her 3.5 years so far as Governor, she has vetoed more bills from the Legislature (Republican Controlled) than any Governor in AZ HISTORY. The record was last held by Bruce Babbit. And by the way...it took him two terms to build the old record. Thanks Joe.

Verified LEO
    Ah, and now we have it. Somone from the painted desert themselves. Interesting that he would take that scratch scratch apporach. Appears that he runs his own show.

Thread Information