Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul

Reuters admits altering Beirut photo (You really have to see this to believe it)

Reuters admits altering Beirut photo

Close ups and details

Reuters withdraws photograph of Beirut after Air Force attack after US blogs, photographers point out 'blatant evidence of manipulation.' Reuters' head of PR says in response, 'Reuters has suspended photographer until investigations are completed into changes made to photograph.' Photographer who sent altered image is same Reuters photographer behind many of images from Qana, which have also been subject of suspicions for being staged

A Reuters photograph of smoke rising from buildings in Beirut has been withdrawn after coming under attack by American web logs. The blogs accused Reuters of distorting the photograph to include more smoke and damage.

The photograph showed two very heavy plumes of black smoke billowing from buildings in Beirut after an Air Force attack on the Lebanese capital. Reuters has since withdrawn the photograph from its website, along a message admitting that the image was distorted, and an apology to editors.

In the message, Reuters said that "photo editing software was improperly used on this image. A corrected version will immediately follow this advisory. We are sorry for any inconvience."

Reuters' head of PR Moira Whittle said in response: "Reuters has suspended a photographer until investigations are completed into changes made to a photograph showing smoke billowing from buildings following an air strike on Beirut. Reuters takes such matters extremely seriously as it is strictly against company editorial policy to alter pictures."

"As soon as the allegation came to light, the photograph, filed on Saturday 5 August, was removed from the file and a replacement, showing the same scene, was sent. The explanation for the removal was the improper use of photo-editing software," she added.

Earlier, Charles Johnson, of the Little Green Footballs blog , which has exposed a previous attempt at fraud by a major American news corporation, wrote : "This Reuters photograph shows blatant evidence of manipulation. Notice the repeating patterns in the smoke; this is almost certainly caused by using the Photoshop “clone” tool to add more smoke to the image."

Johnson added: "Smoke simply does not contain repeating symmetrical patterns like this, and you can see the repetition in both plumes of smoke. There’s really no question about it."

Speaking to Ynetnews, Johnson said: "This has to cast doubt not only on the photographer who did the alterations, but on Reuters' entire review process. If they could let such an obvious fake get through to publication, how many more faked or 'enhanced' photos have not been caught?"

A series of close ups are then posted on the blog, showing that "it’s not only the plumes of smoke that were 'enhanced.' There are also cloned buildings." The close ups do appear to show exact replicas of buildings appearing next to one another in the photograph.

The Sports Shooter web forum , used by professional photographers, also examined the photo, with many users concluding that the image has been doctored.

'Looks so obviously doctored'

"I'll second the cloned smoke...but it looks so obvious that I don't know how the photographer could have gotten away with it," wrote one user.

After further research, Johnson posted a photograph he says is the original image taken before distortions were made, showing much lighter smoke rising.

Other blogs have also analyzed the photographs, and reached similar conclusions, such as Left & Right , which states: "The photo has been doctored, quite badly."

The author of the Ace of Spades blog wrote: "Even I can see the very suspicious "clonings" of picture elements here. And I'm an idiot."

The Hot Air blog also looked at the photo, describing the image as "the worst Photoshop I have ever seen."

Adnan Hajj, the photographer who sent the altered image, was also the Reuters photographer behind many of the images from Qana – which have also been the subject of suspicions for being staged.

"A photographer who would blatantly falsify an entire 'news' image would certainly not be above posing and staging photographs of rescue workers," Johnson concluded

http://www.ynetnews.com/Ext/Comp/Art...6966,00.html#n

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Reuters may have job openings for some of the Photoshop whizzes on this forum....

The damning stories just keep rolling in that expose the members of the worldwide mainstream media as the frauds that they are. And what bothers me most about this story, which was alluded to above, is that this particular photo can be very easily and clearly proven to be faked and altered.

But what about scenes that are staged, like those taken at Qana as the story referenced? That story has been pretty well exposed by some very good investigative work on the blogs, but how many other stories and photos have been staged to advance an agenda? How many bodies have been arranged in certain ways to try and elicit an emotional response against one side? It'll be a lot harder to prove that a scene has been staged when its documented with unaltered, genuine photographs. I don't think it's ever really been more clear that there's not a single, prominent news organization that can be trusted to tell the truth.

timatoe127 is offline NorCal Po-Po
    "The explanation for the removal was the improper use of photo-editing software,"

I guess "proper use" would be OK. I think that means you don't get caught.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them.

Jimmy Hoffa

timatoe127 is offline NorCal Po-Po
    The pics on this page are relatively graphic but they show exactly what's going on and how we are being told a storyline rather than the news.

http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/200...ilking-it.html
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them.

Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by timatoe127
    The pics on this page are relatively graphic but they show exactly what's going on and how we are being told a storyline rather than the news.

http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/200...ilking-it.html

Thanks for posting that timatoe, I was just about to go and try to find that link again. I saw that a few days ago and combined with this, I think any news editor out there has a responsibility reject any story coming out of the region from Reuters.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Good god, that took about 1.2 seconds to see it had been altered. Way to undermine what little credibility the media has Reuters.
    Last edited by MisterK; 08-06-06 at 07:53 PM.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Look at Beirut while it exists - After this morning's attack on Haifa, I fear that Israel is nearing the point of a massive attack on the country - They have not seen what Israel can do to them yet. Not that it would be a bad thing.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That doctored pic is pretty bad. Unfortunatly some of the propaganda put forward is of much higher quality. Watch this video to see what I mean. It is 18 min. long but you wil get sucked in very easily...trust me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_B1H-1opys&eurl=

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    It happens with Main Stream newspapers here too! At a police shooting, where 2 were killed, 1 wounded and a police officer hit in the leg; the picture in the paper, taken from above just after the incident, showed 6 of us in a line all holding rifles. There was only 1 rifle used the others had been added! Never trust the media.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    I hate to talk politics, but....I hate seeing children getting hurt, Isreal is the problem, that whole region has been a powder keg ever since the Brits gave the land over in the 40's. They kicked people out of their land/homes and started a war that will last as long as that territory flies an Israeli flag. I am a former Marine, and I can say that if I and one of my comrades were captured and not released by the deadline the US would not have started throwing rockets over the border to force them to free us. It would have been the same as the men who were captured in Nam, and forgotten. That is a sticky situation over there that could result in the start of WWIII, if you ask me we should be calling up Israel and saying "Sorry, we aren't with you on this one." Just my opinion. And on topic that is f'ed up that the photo was photoshopped.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Does anyone REALLY believe everything they see or read in the newspapers??? The main stream media are trying to minipulate the public like nothing since Hitler or Stalin. If the media thought that they could dupe the public into thinking it was Sunny during a thunder storm, they sure would.
    Remember, Reuters is a leftist British news agency that has no love for the Isreals or US.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56
    I hate to talk politics, but....I hate seeing children getting hurt, Isreal is the problem, that whole region has been a powder keg ever since the Brits gave the land over in the 40's. They kicked people out of their land/homes and started a war that will last as long as that territory flies an Israeli flag. I am a former Marine, and I can say that if I and one of my comrades were captured and not released by the deadline the US would not have started throwing rockets over the border to force them to free us. It would have been the same as the men who were captured in Nam, and forgotten. That is a sticky situation over there that could result in the start of WWIII, if you ask me we should be calling up Israel and saying "Sorry, we aren't with you on this one." Just my opinion. And on topic that is f'ed up that the photo was photoshopped.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Isreal is the problem... They kicked people out of their land/homes and started a war
    And I guess all the Jews who got kicked out of the Arab countries and had nowhere to go before Israel was formed don't count?

Israel is the problem only because the damn Arab countries make it a problem. And I'm not Jewish, by the way.

I think WWIII has already started, we just don't realize it yet.

(\__/)

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I hate to talk politics, but....I hate seeing children getting hurt, Isreal is the problem, that whole region has been a powder keg ever since the Brits gave the land over in the 40's. They kicked people out of their land/homes and started a war that will last as long as that territory flies an Israeli flag. I am a former Marine, and I can say that if I and one of my comrades were captured and not released by the deadline the US would not have started throwing rockets over the border to force them to free us. It would have been the same as the men who were captured in Nam, and forgotten. That is a sticky situation over there that could result in the start of WWIII, if you ask me we should be calling up Israel and saying "Sorry, we aren't with you on this one." Just my opinion. And on topic that is f'ed up that the photo was photoshopped

I guess they should just march off to the Gas Chambers like good little jews. Europe didn't try to stop it the last time, and they sure as hell arn't going to this time.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern
    I guess they should just march off to the Gas Chambers like good little jews. Europe didn't try to stop it the last time, and they sure as hell arn't going to this time.
    WTF The Polish, British, some of the french, Danish, Czech, sloviac were there from the start last time I checked the maps they were in Europe.

President Chirac of France is playing a major part in negotiations over the current conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave
    President Chirac of France is playing a major part in negotiations over the current conflict.
    Oh, great - There's some "good" news

The only negotiations that need to take place is which weapons the terrorists will be killed with and who will do the killing.

(\__/)

A good Bill O'Reilly quote about this..

"If the Arabs laid down their arms today there would be peace in the middle east tommorrow. If Israel laid down their arms today they would be destroyed tommorrow"
    Theodore Roosevelt

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    i am disappointed. do you feel the same way when a fellow officer gets hurt/threatened, ''if he/she had left the bad guys alone they wouldn't have got hurt.''
    me personally, if a fellow officer gets hurt/threatened i do whatever it takes to stop/prevent it from continuing/happening again.
    semper fi

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information