Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Thumbs up My town makes the news again: Suburban Teen Burglary Ring Busted

Good for the parent who turned his son in - Shows that some parents in my town do have their values straight, and believe in letting their kids learn from the consequences of their own actions!

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/...Y&pageId=3.2.1

Suburban Teen Burglary Ring Busted

Last Edited: Thursday, 31 Aug 2006, 8:29 PM CDT
    Created: Thursday, 31 Aug 2006, 8:29 PM CDT

Photos:
    http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/photo_...005&isP16=true

Clockwise from top left: James Thompson, Matthew Patrick, Sean Jordan, Kenneth Rawls Kenneth Rawls,Flower Mound police arrested four teenagers Wednesday in connection with dozens of crimes in this affluent North Texas suburb.

Detectives say the suspects, plus four others who have not been caught, are responsible for stealing goods worth at least $50,000, as well as causing damage to more than $54,000 worth of property.

The teens are charged with felony arson, as well as burglary of homes, vehicles, criminal mischief, possession of prohibited weapons, and theft. Police say they're tied to at least 30 cases.

The teens are: Kenneth Rawls, 17, of Flower Mound; Matthew Patrick, 17, of Flower Mound; Sean Jordan, 18, of Lantana, and James Thompson, 17, of Flower Mound.

Detectives didn't learn of the teens' alleged involvement until one of their parents contacted them. They say one suspect's father asked his child where some goods came from, and the teen allegedly confessed.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 09-01-06 at 10:41 AM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

1UNDER1 is offline BANNED
    OMG wow
    MIKee 1UNDER1 Remember Our fallen Brothers and Sisters. On 9-11-01 All Gave Some & Some Gave All

Thumbs down FM Mayor's Shameful Defense of Delinquents

Another Letter to the Editor that I wrote

In a column of the Dallas Morning News: "Teens accused in long theft, vandalism spree"
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....53989a9f.html

Mayor Jody Smith is quoted as saying that she knows two of the teens, and "These are not lowlifes of society, these are bored high schoolers."

SHAME ON YOU, Jody, for defending these delinquents in any way whatsoever. I do not want our public officials excusing major property destruction and theft - I don't care if Jesus Christ himself did the crime.

Bored teens play video games, watch TV, hang out with friends, or at the worse TP someone's trees - These teens destroyed people's property, and could have caused the death of bystanders or firefighters in the case of the burned vehicles.

By the way, some of these crimes are offenses that the Texas Penal Code allows homeowners to use deadly force to stop, especially at night - Teens need to be advised of that for their own safety.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 09-02-06 at 05:54 PM.

(\__/)

Talking Published!!! - And what a turnout!!!

By the way, the Mayor told me that's not what she meant... She claims that she told the reporters that these are acts of terrorism, even though these are not lowlife boys - but I told her if the reporters did her wrong, that's between her & the Editors of the Dallas Morning News (somehow I doubt that they printed the exact opposite of what she said).

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.3f39dd6.html

Letters from Highland Village, Flower Mound
    08:40 AM CDT on Thursday, September 7, 2006

If the definition fits ...

Re: "8 teens accused in spree – 4 arrested in burglaries, arsons; losses exceed $100,000," Friday Metro story.

Mayor Jody Smith was wrong when she said the Flower Mound teens were not "lowlifes," but just "bored high schoolers." I live in this community and don't know the kids identified in the paper, but several years ago my family was the victim of this type of activity from three privileged youths in this area.

"Lowlife" is a term assigned for character and behavior, not poverty and bad grades. The people who did these crimes are lowlifes. I don't want to see anyone offer one excuse for these boys unless the parents want to stand beside their children and admit that they should have been supervising them better.

Paula Wernette, Highland Village

Adults to blame, too

I suppose if it had been eight kids from some other ZIP code outside of Flower Mound perpetrating these criminal endeavors, Mayor Jody Smith would be calling for their heads on a platter, particularly if she was one of the victims. But instead, we hear, "These are just bored high schoolers." Perhaps in an earlier time, she would have been among those who would just dismiss the whole affair as a bunch of good ol' boys just out for a little fun.

Well, Ms. Smith, I would suggest that it is just that sort of complacent, irresponsible – dare I even say naïve – attitude on the part of elected officials and parents that leads to this sort of criminal behavior.

George Bueton, Highland Village

'Bored' is no excuse

Bored teens play video games, watch TV, hang out with friends or, at the worst, toilet-paper someone's trees. These teens destroyed people's property and could have caused the death of bystanders or firefighters in the case of the burned vehicles.

By the way, some of these crimes are offenses that the Texas Penal Code allows homeowners to use deadly force to stop, especially at night. Teens need to be advised of that for their safety.

Charlie Barrett, Flower Mound

Try some creativity

I imagine that a lot of teens and people in general get bored from time to time, but thank goodness they don't commit felonies for some excitement.
    I really enjoyed reading in The Flower Mound Messenger about the four teens and a dog who hiked 30 miles around Grapevine Lake.

It took them 28 hours. They generated some good, healthy excitement for themselves that didn't hurt anyone, destroy property or create police records for themselves. I commend them for being so creative and adventuresome.
    Kathleen Hawkins, Flower Mound

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.3f07503.html

Boredom is no excuse

Re: "8 teens accused in spree – Flower Mound: 4 arrested in burglaries, arsons; losses exceed $100,000," Friday Metro.

Flower Mound Mayor Jody Smith said she knows two of the teens involved in the recent crime spree that included burglary, arson and vandalism. Ms. Smith goes on to dismiss their outrageous behavior by saying, "These are bored high schoolers."

Considering the dramatic increase in our town's crime rate, especially thefts, it is discouraging to have the mayor excuse felony crime as boredom. This completely disregards the many victims and sends the wrong message to our young people.

If it had been her property stolen and vandalized, I doubt she would have had the same reaction.
    Sherillyn Flick, Flower Mound

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.3e2fbd4.html

Boredom fuels arson?

Re: "8 teens accused in spree – 4 arrested in burglaries, arsons; losses exceed $100,000," Friday Metro story.

It seems like Flower Mound Mayor Jody Smith should reconsider the remarks she made about the kids involved in the burglaries and arsons being good kids, just bored. How stupid is that? They were not bored; they just don't care for anything or anyone except themselves. Their parents must never look in their rooms either, if they had all that loot in their rooms. My kids get bored also, but they never go out and commit crimes.

They deserve everything they are going to get. They should do time for this and repay all they destroyed and stole. Who do they think they are? They must think they are better than everyone else or are entitled to everything they did.

The mayor should show strength, not wimp out and say they were bored. What if they would have done this to her? It wouldn't be so easy to drop it then, right?

Alice Dodson, Mesquite
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 09-07-06 at 03:10 PM.

(\__/)

Thread Information