Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Trial Underway for Elderly Driver

I wonder if his lawyers hoped he would die before this came to trial?

Jury Selection Begins in Deadly Farmer's Market Crash
    KTLA News
    September 5, 2006, 4:45 PM PDT

Jury selection began today in the trial of an elderly driver blamed for killing 10 people and injuring another 63 at a farmers market in Santa Monica.

George Russell Weller was 86 on July 16, 2003, when he drove his Buick LeSabre through a crowded Santa Monica Farmer's Market at 60 miles an hour, and kept going for several blocks

He faces 10 counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence.

Among the 10 people killed that afternoon were two children, including a 7 month old baby.

Lynne Ann Weaver, the 47-year-old daughter-in-law of actor Dennis Weaver, was also killed.

Weller's attorneys said the crash was a tragedy, but that his client should not face criminal prosecution because he accidentally hit the gas pedal instead of the brake- something experts call pedal error.

But prosecutors are expected to call witnesses who will testify that Weller said, right after the crash: "If you saw me coming, you should have gotten out of my way."

They say Weller got into a fender bender just down the street and sped through the market because he was trying to flee.

Weller himself probably won't testify at trial. But in an interview with police obtained by the Los Angeles Times, he said he was sorry for what happened: "God almighty, those poor people. Poor, poor, tragic people... and what a tragic ending to their outing, and I contributed to it, which just almost more than I can figure out."

The National Transportation Safety Board faulted the city of Santa Monica for failing to have a barrier to keep Weller's car from going down the street where the market was set up.

Victims' families have filed wrongful death lawsuits against the city as well as Weller.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Wrongful death lawsuits againts the city for not having a barrier up omg... people from big citys please dont come to small town america cause when we close off a street we put up little orange cones if that.

Thread Information