Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO

Exclamation Stupidest Woman Alive

I may have posted this before, but I am reposting because she has made a reply to what Chicago Coppers Think of the stupidest woman alive.

The scars you don't see
    Susy Schultz

From the editor
    I pulled up to the stop light the other night. It was a crisp summer night. I rubbed the side of my head. My finger rested in a small dent and my mind went back to a night many years ago.

I had pulled up to the same stop light and three boys, ages 10 or 11, called to me through the open windows. "Please, we need a ride. We don't know what to do. Our home is just a mile or two down the road."

I was in Oak Park. Just a mile or two down the road was Chicago's Austin neighborhood-not a safe place to be at 11 p.m. on a Friday.

But I looked at the boys-they looked much like my son when he wanted something, with those beautiful, big pleading eyes. What were they doing out so late? Where were the people in their lives who cared?

I invited them into the van, drove on and began chatting. "Tell me your names, boys. How old are you?"

Slowly, I coaxed their stories out. I was excited to hear about the books they liked, the teachers they didn't. I barely noticed where the car was heading.

"Boys, where are your folks? Where are we going?"

My questions were ignored. Red flags went up. But I hoped I was wrong. We arrived at the second address they gave me and the boys got out.

One boy stood near my door. He had a deep scar over his eye running down the side of his face and etched into his left temple. I stroked his close-cropped hair. "Boys, there has to be some adult somewhere where I can take you. We have to find someone who cares and I need to take you there. I have to go home to my boys."

The boy with the scar closed his eyes and leaned into my strokes. At this point, three other boys appeared. Then I knew it was too late. Both the car doors were open and one of the boys leaned into the driver's side. I had already locked my purse into my seat belt-something I do naturally when I get into the car. The boy tried to unlock the seat belt. I looked at him. "Don't do this boys. I know you're good people."

One of the boys looked at the third one in the car. "Don't do her," he said. "She was nice to us. Let her go."

The little boy with the scar reached in and punched the side of my head. It wasn't a hard punch. He looked at me and he looked confused. But with the second punch he forgot sentiment-he threw three more punches at my face. Another boy tried to grab the keys. "Get her car," another boy said. I had one thought: I'm going to die if I stay here.

My glasses were gone. I couldn't see, but I stepped on the gas and pulled away. The six boys tried to jump in the car but fell to either side of the street. I was horrified--not about what could have happened to me-but that one of the boys might have been hurt.

Yet the worst part of the evening was to come. I dialed 911 and tried to tell the dispatcher what had happened, only sobs came.

"It's over now," she said. "You're safe. Getting hysterical doesn't help."

"I think there is a child hurt and I don't know what to do. I don't even know where I was and I can't see," I said.

As I told my story, her tone changed, "How could you let those boys into your car? What were you thinking?"

I silently screamed, "I was thinking these are children, out late at night who needed an adult to help them."

The dispatcher said she would send a squad car. I pulled over and found my contacts. The world became a little clearer. I saw a squad car and approached the officer, still sobbing. Surrounded by people, the officer never stopped his conversation. He looked over at me twice before finally saying, "Yeah?"

"I just called 911 and ...." I said.

But when I told him about the boys, the officer started yelling, "What were you thinking? Do you know where you are? Besides, what do you want me to do?"

I looked at him. The tears stopped and outrage took over-not only did he not care about me, he cared less about the boys. "I taught my children if there is a problem, you go to the police. Am I wrong? Aren't I supposed to tell you if a crime was committed or a child is hurt?"

The police officer got angrier. "Yeah. But what do you want me to do? Are you hurt?"

"I got punched a few times. I just need ice but what if a little boy is hurt?" I said. "Shouldn't someone check?"

The police officer shifted his weight. "These guys are not going to call the police and report they were injured while trying to steal your car. They are animals. They get what they deserve. They were trying to hurt you."

"That's on their conscience," I said. "If one of them is hurt, that's on mine."

"Give me your number, if I hear something, I'll call."

I gave him my card, which identified me as a member of the news media and, surprise, the officer's tone changed. All of a sudden, I wasn't an idiot.

"You wanted to help people and I'm not saying everybody who lives in this neighborhood is bad but you can't take that chance. You really meant well."

It wasn't about me. I drove home. I never got a call. But I never got those boys out of my head, either.

Whether it is those boys in my van or that beautiful, haunting girl staring out at you from the cover of Chicago Parent, can we, as people or as parents, afford to throw away our children?

These are not just other people's kids. These are our children, our future. When I rub that spot on my temple, a permanent reminder of those boys, I remember what Jane Addams, a reformer and social advocate, once said:

"The child becomes largely what he is taught; hence we must watch what we teach, and how we live."
    Last edited by Pedro56; 09-11-06 at 12:16 PM.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Here is Stupids reply.

Serve and protect
    From the editor - August 2006
    Susy Schultz

Last month, I wrote about a rough experience I had-an attempted carjacking. I picked up three 10- and 11-year-old boys late one night when they asked for a ride home. It was a scam.

They led me on a wild ride through the Austin neighborhood. Three other boys showed up at our final stop, I took a beating and I was lucky to escape with my life.

Still, when I drove away, I was sure one of the boys was hurt. And when I called 911 and then later talked to a Chicago Police officer, I was treated to the harsh reality that not only was I stupid-OK, I deserved that-but that no one cared about these kids. That is not OK, no child deserves that. The kids, I was told by the officer, were animals and deserved whatever they got.

He was not concerned about finding these kids to make sure they were OK, or to make sure they were prosecuted, something I would have done.

It horrified me that these children could be so easily dismissed. They were not worthy of attention. Clearly, they were not getting any attention from their parents, so what did that mean for their future? I found that more upsetting than the carjacking.

My point was that if adults don't care about our children-and yes, I believe all children are our children-then who will?

I received a number of calls and letters from readers who wanted to tell me what they thought.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to write or call. Whether we agree with one another or not, you felt strongly enough to tell me what you thought and that is important.

Some of the letters were very sympathetic to the whole situation. Your kind words were tonic.

And I also received a number of letters from people who thought I was way off. Why would I risk my children living without a mother on these kids?

Some observed that I got what I deserved and perhaps, if justice were to be served, I deserved something much more harsh, a la to be culled from the pack for stupidity, selected out in the Darwinian process of evolution.

The worst note I received came from someone who identified himself as a retired Chicago Police officer. He told me that while I was probably a compassionate person, I was really stupid and if I wanted to find out what cops really thought I should visit:
    http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com

I did. That's me on the July 13, 2006 entry, titled the "World's Stupidest Human Being." (Personally, I think I could easily rank up there for doing stupid stuff-although my guess is I don't deserve top honors. But I was OK with that. I've been called far worse.)

I don't care that cops have a place to blow off steam about the frustrations of their job. Everyone needs that. But this blog is disturbing.

One of the comments about my column reads: "When you look at a gaping bullet wound in one of these angel's little heads and smile...that's when you realize you're a COP."

There are 96 comments responding to the blog entry about my column and some of them take me to task for being a tree-hugging liberal and all sorts of other names that aren't fit to print here. But some of them riff on such racist and vitriolic statements that I am going to choose to believe that these people are talking trash rather than truth.

I won't believe what the entries on this blog reflect-that the men and women who are cops don't take seriously their oath to serve and protect. I can't believe they select who they are going to serve and decide who they are not going to protect.

I guess reading the blog adds fuel to the idea that the recently released report outlining the systematic torture of suspects under the watchful eye of Chicago Police Commander Jon Burge is not just a fluke. It's a department standard.

I don't buy that. All cops are not racist. I would never paint all the people in Austin with one broad brush based on what happened that night. Nor would I paint all cops with one broad brush either. The cops I know are amazing men and women. Perhaps that's why the way I was treated on that carjacking night and the way those kids were treated-no one even wanted to find or prosecute them-seemed so off.

I just wonder what these people spewing on that blog think they are doing? How can anyone think it is right to be peddling vitriol and racism? What are people supposed to believe after reading this stuff?

I asked Craig Futterman, clinical professor of law at the University of Chicago, who heads the Civil Rights and Police Accountability project, to read the site and tell me what he thought. I'll give him the last word.

"It's frightening," Futterman says. "You can't ignore the real racism that exists in society or on the police force. The moment we start labeling our children as animals or juvenile predators, instead of children, we have a real serious problem.

"But the moment we choose to disreguard them completely and label them as someone worth killing, as that posting suggests, we give up on our future."

If you would like to read the comments made by people here is the links.

NEWEST:http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/20...ous-again.html

OLDER ONE:http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/20...man-being.html
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

pmfc is offline ^
    There is no way I would have picked up those kids. I trust no one. I have seen what happens here in California when people spit out kids solely for the purpose of receiving more welfare. They end up like those junior thugs.

The kids aren't taught any morals or good values. There is absolutely no discipline. On top of that, if they are abused things get even worse.

Hell, around here kids start walking around with their pants sagging years before their 10th birthday

I'm sorry the woman in the article had to learn about reality the hard way. I'm glad she wasn't hurt bad or killed.

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    I work in a school as an officer with 6-8 grade kids and even at that I know first hand what these kids are capable of. There is no way I would pick them up! At this age they feel they really don't have anything to lose, so they don't care about what they are doing.
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    A pistol in the hands of a 12 year old can kill just as readily as one in the hands of a 22 year old. Sometimes even more so, as at 12 they think it'll make them a man or use it as a gang initiation.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56 View Post
    The moment we start labeling our children as animals or juvenile predators, instead of children, we have a real serious problem.
    If Mr. Professor walked through the neighborhood with his head in the clouds, "everyone is beautiful" attitude, he would soon call the police and demand that he be protected from the juvenile predators that would probably rob him, shoot him, and leave him for dead.

"A Conservative is a Liberal who has been robbed, raped, or burglarized."
    Last edited by snuffy2202; 09-12-06 at 09:51 AM.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    This still reinforces my belief that there are still hordes of people that believe that they can change a child with one kind act. Its a kind act yes, and for that I applaud her. However, one kind act upon a sea of wrongdoing, lack of morales and upbringing will do little to nothing to alter their lives.

Would I have stopped? Not at all. Do I think all kids are juvenile predators that hang out? No, but Im a realistic enough person to know that Murphy's law is ready to be applied any time anywhere.

I will go home at the end of my shift. I will go home to see my kids and wife. I will let nothing stop me from doing that....if that means leaving the kids I see on the side of the road as I drive by...then so be it.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    A pistol in the hands of a 12 year old can kill just as readily as one in the hands of a 22 year old. Sometimes even more so, as at 12 they think it'll make them a man or use it as a gang initiation.

You're right, Ducky.

I can't believe that woman did what she did. She's lucky that she wasn't killed. Now, I would help someone in a minute, particularly a child, but there is no way in the world that I'm not going to use common sense in doing so.

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    Huh, I thought for sure that with the title of this thread there would be a pic of my ex on here.

Oh well..................

When you find yourself in a hole............QUIT DIGGING!!!!!!!!!

OK guys time to come clean. I am not only a police officer but I am also a big time movie star. I am using my real photo as my avatar now. Please NO autographs!!!!

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by dlefdal View Post
    Huh, I thought for sure that with the title of this thread there would be a pic of my ex on here.

Oh well..................

No worries, there's all kinds of stupid to go around. Damnit.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information