Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Gunmen reported killed in college shooting

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

Terrorists?

At least one gunman opened fire Wednesday in the cafeteria of a Montreal college and wounded an unknown number of people before shooting himself, witnesses and police said.

Scores of students at Dawson College near downtown fled into the surrounding streets after the shooting broke out in the school of about 10,000. Some of them had bloody clothes.

CBC-TV showed police with guns drawn standing behind a police cruiser. (Watch as a police spokesman says authorities are using dogs to search campus -- 5:25)

Martine Millette of the Montreal police said authorities did not know how many people had been shot. There also was uncertainty if there was more than one gunman.

Millette said the man later shot himself. Constable Philippe Gouin said, "In all probability, the suspect has committed suicide."

'The guy was shooting at people randomly'
    Student Devansh Smri Vastava said he saw a man in military fatigues with "a big rifle" storm the school's cafeteria.

"He just started shooting at people," Vastava said, adding that he heard about 20 shots fired. He also said teachers ran through the halls telling students to get out.

Other witnesses spoke of a gunman wearing a black trench coat.

"We all ran upstairs. There were cops firing. It was so crazy," Vastava said. "I was terrified. The guy was shooting at people randomly. He didn't care; he was just shooting at everybody. I just got out."

Derick Osei, 19, said he walking down the stairs when he saw a man with a gun.

"He ... just started shooting up the place. I ran up to the third floor and I looked down and he was still shooting," Osei said. "He was hiding behind the vending machines, and he came out with a gun and started pointing and pointed at me. So I ran up the stairs. I saw a girl get shot in the leg."

Osei said people in the cafeteria were all lying on the floor.

Another student who gave her name as Chloe tearfully recounted seeing the gunman pointing a weapon at people.

"All of a sudden I turned around and saw a man who was all dressed in black," she told radio station 940 News.

"This dude with the clothes started pointing the gun at other people. He was right behind me. He turned around and went in the corner of the cafeteria," she said.

Another student told 940 News that she had seen two people who had been shot, including one who was hit in the neck. The student said a friend told her four people had been shot.

'89 shooting spurred tighter gun laws
    Ingrid Keigan, a 17-year-old student, said she saw one person outside who had been shot in the chest.

A SWAT team and canine units were at the college, going floor by floor to look for victims, Sgt. Giuseppe Boccardi told CNN.

"Most of the students have exited the college grounds," he said.

People have also been evacuated from the nearby Alexis-Nihon shopping center.

Canada's worst mass shooting also happened in Montreal. Gunman Marc Lepin killed 14 women at the Ecole Polytechnic on December 6, 1989.

That shooting spurred efforts for tighter gun laws and greater awareness of societal violence -- particularly domestic abuse. Canada's tighter gun law was achieved mainly as the results of efforts by survivors and relatives of the victims.

Another shooting in Montreal occurred in 1992, when a Concordia University professor killed four colleagues.

Dawson College was the first English-language institution in Quebec's network of university preparatory colleges when it was founded in 1969.

It is the largest college of general and vocational education, known by its French acronym CEGEP, in the province.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    From CNN

Several students were injured and two gunmen killed, one shot by police, at a college in Montreal, Canada, the administration office confirmed in a recorded message. Police sealed off the city center campus fearing there might be "multiple shooters," a police spokesman said as students ran from the city center college.

From Fox -

AP
    A woman is evacuated from Dawson College in Montreal. 2 suspects reported dead after shooting in cafeteria
    • At least 12 victims injured, 6 critically
    • 1 shooter turns gun on himself
    • Police reportedly kill second shooter
    • SWAT teams trying to secure campus

Supporting Member Lvl 2

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Sounds like they were wearing all black, but I've heard rumors of mohawks or some other type stuff that indicates more of a Columbine style attack.

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    I read in another story that the police have already said that this "isn't terrorism related."

Seems like any time something like this happens, the police say it isn't related to terrorism well before they could have possibly conducted enough of an investigation to soundly come to that conclusion.

Something more accurate might be, "This does not appear to be obviously related to a typical terrorist attack carried out by an Islamist terrorist group."

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    So far it's saying 20 students wounded, and the only fatality is the gunman. I guess that's the best you can hope for, considering the circumstances.

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    Canada eh? Ahhh, who cares then.

Just kidding, jesus people, relax......

(no smiley)
    When you find yourself in a hole............QUIT DIGGING!!!!!!!!!

OK guys time to come clean. I am not only a police officer but I am also a big time movie star. I am using my real photo as my avatar now. Please NO autographs!!!!

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Looks like one woman has died, along with the shooter, who was killed by police.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/na...16&k=65542&p=1
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

HockeyChick is offline Blah.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlefdal View Post
    Canada eh? Ahhh, who cares then.

Just kidding, jesus people, relax......

(no smiley)
    Bad time for a joke, friend.

The plus side, the officer's active shooter training obviously saved many lives. God bless those officers who ran into danger to blow that shithead's brains all over the place.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyChick View Post
    The plus side, the officer's active shooter training obviously saved many lives. God bless those officers who ran into danger to blow that shithead's brains all over the place.
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Thread Information