Welcome to the APBWeb.
    121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Killer Found Guilty of Murder Two in Denver Cop Slaying

http://9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNA...7-c589c01ca7bf

DENVER - After finding Raul Gomez-Garcia guilty of second degree murder and attempted second degree murder, jurors spoke publicly about the case on Friday.

The jurors who convicted cop killer Raul Gomez-Garcia spoke with 9NEWS on Friday. 9NEWS at 10 p.m. September 15, 2006.
    It took the jury eight hours to convict cop killer Raul Gomez-Garcia on all counts. 9NEWS at 9 p.m. September 15, 2006.

Jurors said they did not believe Gomez-Garcia's excuse that he thought the off-duty officers Donnie Young and Jack Bishop were wearing bulletproof vests when he shot at them.

"We took into consideration the number of shots fired," said juror Ben DeWitt. "Not believing the testimony on the bulletproof vest and obviously the direction of the shots being at center torso (were factors for the decision)."

Members of the jury said they took their duty very seriously, especially in such a high-profile murder case. One juror commented it was a difficult decision because Gomez-Garcia seemed so human to her.

It took the jury more than eight hours to reach their guilty verdict. In the end, they said they all felt good about the decision they reached.

The jury found Gomez-Garcia guilty of attempted second degree murder, not attempted first degree murder, a charge the prosecution was seeking.

"We honestly believe that he was not trying to kill Jack Bishop and that Jack Bishop was inconveniently in the wrong place," said juror Mara Fielding-Purdy.

Jurors added they were surprised Gomez-Garcia took the stand in his own defense, after being told in opening statements that he probably would not. They would not comment on whether it helped or hurt his case, but said it was important to hear his perspective.

Fernando Freyre, who became Gomez-Garcia's attorney in December, said he was disappointed by the verdict.

"You do whatever you can," said Freyre. "You're representing a kid that you get to know in a way that nobody else gets to know. And you get to know him as a human being and a kid and someone who has always been very nice and respectful with me. And I get to see a side of him other people don't get to see."

Gomez-Garcia now faces up to 80 years in prison - 48 years for the death of Donnie Young and 32 years for the attempted second degree murder of Jack Bishop.

The sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 25.
    I would say that I hope this fucker fries, but we took the murder One charge along with death penalty off the table in order to get those corrupt assholes in Mexico to extradite. I'm glad the jury did what was right for Donnie Young's family, in the best way they could.

If you get a chance, check out this link to a story about his funeral. http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...83/detail.html The eulogy video is pretty gut-wrenching, but I watch it every once in a while to remind myself of what that day was like for us at the funeral, and to keep my survival in mind when I go on shift.
    Last edited by 121Traffic; 09-17-06 at 06:32 AM.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Thread Information