Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO

I-Team: Mobile command center still not ready for action

By Chuck Goudie

September 20, 2006 - Mayor Daley and Chicago emergency officials unveiled the city's latest counter-terrorism tool -- a mobile command and control center -- two weeks ago. Now, there are questions about whether the $2 million truck is ready for service.

Three years ago, Mayor Daley said the city had bought a state-of-the art emergency communications truck, but he and the city were embarrassed when the I-Team revealed that the truck was just a prop for a news conference. The city never actually took delivery on the command van.

Two weeks ago, the mayor and his top crisis deputies unveiled yet another high-tech communications vehicle that they say is ready to roll.

It was a new command van that the city claimed to own but did not. Shortly after the city news conference, the van was sent back to the east coast company that owned it, never to be returned to Chicago. Two weeks ago, the mayor announced the city's latest command van.

"Chicago is far ahead of most other cities when it comes to using state of the art technology," Daley said two weeks ago.

Mobile technology that would replicate the city's 9-1-1 emergency call center and communications facility were terrorists to take out the actual building.

"No city in the nation can boast of such a vehicle," said Andrew Velasquez, Office of Emergency Management.

Shortly after the mayor's new conference two weeks ago, the vehicle was driven out of Chicago and is currently housed at the DuPage County Airport.

Sources familiar with the high-tech project say the truck is at the airport because it has at least 30 major high-tech problems. Suburban-based engineers with a Virginia company are working to fix them.

A spokesman for the Chicago Office of Emergency Communications vigorously denies that allegation, saying the truck is fully functional and that the van is in DuPage County because city employees who are being trained to use it need an immersion environment where they will not be distracted.

In the meantime, it is about an hour from the Loop.

Chicago's new communications van was not on the scene for Wednesday's tactical communications exercise conducted by emergency officials from Chicago, several west suburbs and the federal government.

Sources close to the drill say the new van was not there because its central communications hub is non-functional, preventing communication between municipalities and other agencies. The city says the truck was not involved in the drill because the plans were written six months ago and could not be changed.

The new van is officially known as a "Unified Response Vehicle." It was parked outside Chicago's recent downtown evacuation drill and city officials say it was used.

Chicago emergency officials say the mobile communications center is not intended to be a first responder and is only a phone call away being parked in western DuPage County were the city to be hit by terrorists.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    I am so glad that they cry poor for our pensions, health care and raises, but dammit we will spend 2 million on a truck that don't work. I am just gald that King Richard (da' Mayor) got caught in a lie, twice, again.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

slamdunc is offline On The Beat
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56 View Post
    I am so glad that they cry poor for our pensions, health care and raises, but dammit we will spend 2 million on a truck that don't work. I am just gald that King Richard (da' Mayor) got caught in a lie, twice, again.
    This happens a lot (not the Mayor lying, but) agencies spend bunches of money on anti-terrorism. Their defense "this was funded by a federal grant, not tax dollars". There are some misguided souls out there that don't know that grants are 'tax dollars' that have come back home.
    They fight like hell to keep from giving us a .35 per hour raise, but can get grants to buy communications equipment to fight terror.
    'The Art of War' teaches us to "Rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's coming, but on our own readiness to receive him"--Sun Tsu

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Mobile Command Center

This is a photo of our Mobile Command Center. Got a tight budget so you do with what you got.

Thread Information