Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

New bill approved by the US House to allow teachers to strip search students

A bill approved by the U.S. House yesterday would require school districts around the country to establish policies making it easier for teachers and school officials to conduct wide scale searches of students. These searches could take the form of pat-downs, bag searches, or strip searches depending on how administrators interpret the law.

The Student Teacher Safety Act of 2006 (HR 5295) would require any school receiving federal funding--essentially every public school--to adopt policies allowing teachers and school officials to conduct random, warrantless searches of every student, at any time, on the flimsiest of pretexts. Saying they suspect that one student might have drugs could give officials the authority to search every student in the building.

DPA supporters and others who opposed this outrageous bill called their members of Congress this week to express their disapproval. However, House leaders circumvented the usual legislative procedure to bring the bill to a quick vote. It did not pass through the committee process, but went straight to the House floor. There, it was passed by a simple voice vote, so constituents cannot even find out how their Representative voted.

The bill moves next to the Senate, but it is unlikely to be considered there this session.

Bill Piper, DPA's director of national affairs, said, "It looks like this bill was rushed to the House floor to help out the sponsor, Rep. Geoff Davis (R-KY/4th), who is in a tight re-election race. This vote lets him say he's getting things done in Washington. But I would be surprised to see a similar push in the Senate."

HR 5295 is opposed in its current form by several groups, including the Drug Policy Alliance, Students for Sensible Drug Policy, the ACLU, the American Federation of Teachers, the National Parent Teacher Association, the American Association of School Administrators, and the National School Boards Association.

DPA will be watching the bill so that if and when it does come up again, this wide array of opponents can mobilize to stop it.

1*girl Guest
    Teachers would be allowed to do a pat down? Oh hell no. Look at how many teachers and school officials are sex offenders now. That just gives them ample opportunity to gratify their sexual cravings. Bag searches are fine. That was a thing in my high school. Pat downs and strip searches, however, should be left to the SRO's since that is part of their job as a police officer. If the school has no SRO, then they should just call the local department. I can see how this might help keep drugs, etc down in schools, but as far as school officials such as teachers and principles conducting these searches, no way. There is just too much risk there.

That's just my own personal opinion on the matter.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I guess I can understand pat searches.

But a search where a school official start digging in pockets, waistbands, etc seems a bit outlandish.

And strip searches are absolutely ridiculous.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Reminds me of that video of the kid who managed to conceal something like 10 guns on his person- so long as he didn't move. A pat down would have caught him, but so would walking across the classroom. You can't walk very well with a 12 gauge stuffed inside your boxers.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Some teacher strip searches my daughter, I will kill them. Period. End of story.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Reminds me of that video of the kid who managed to conceal something like 10 guns on his person- so long as he didn't move. A pat down would have caught him, but so would walking across the classroom. You can't walk very well with a 12 gauge stuffed inside your boxers.
    That was fake. Mike Moore did that for his fake documentry bowling for whatthefuckever.
    dlefdal said:

CopsRCool302 Guest
    it is sad the world got this bad.. they lay a finger on my son, i will pat search there lips with four of my knuckle friends...

pretty soon, you'll have to pee in a cup before each class...... SAD!

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    strip searches in school.... hell no.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    thats alittle to far but they should allow the teachers to do more if they need to but hell a police officer cant just do a strip search. I think its a joke that a student can get away with alot of stuff just by making a threat to sue. Strip search goes too far but being able to pat search ect why not they are watching our kids and BTW not all schools have SRO's so leaving things to the SRO is not an option. School is not the same as it was when alot of people here went.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Strip search my son? I don't think so! You'll be seeing a side of this mom you never knew existed.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    I know there was one teacher that was in my school that I wouldnt mind being strip searched by....

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    $10 says the next school shooting will be done by an enraged parent.. any takers?

I think the schools would be wise to buy some metal detectors and leave it at that...
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320 View Post
    I know there was one teacher that was in my school that I wouldnt mind being strip searched by....
    LOL- you beat me to it. I can laugh about the story. My son is 24 and he probably can name a couple of teachers he'd allow to do the same.

But, I think they're going a bit too far with this whole thing. I predict there will be some rich students and parents out there should a school district try going the strip search route.

Quote Originally Posted by CT209 View Post
    I predict there will be some rich students and parents out there should a school district try going the strip search route.
    I mean no disrespect, CT209, but what does being rich have to do with it? I am by no means rich, but if my son's school decides to go this route, I'll be the first parent in line to challenge it.

Quote Originally Posted by General Patten View Post
    $10 says the next school shooting will be done by an enraged parent.. any takers?
    Thanks, but no thanks, General... I'm no fool!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    Some teacher strip searches my daughter, I will kill them. Period. End of story.
    I was gonna make a smart-ass comment about suddenly wanting to be a teacher... but never mind

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    I was gonna make a smart-ass comment about suddenly wanting to be a teacher... but never mind
    Good choice.
    dlefdal said:

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2 View Post
    I mean no disrespect, CT209, but what does being rich have to do with it? I am by no means rich, but if my son's school decides to go this route, I'll be the first parent in line to challenge it.
    I think they meant it would be "new money" rich -gained through the lawsuits the school and district would be slapped with.

If they're THAT worried about drugs, how about invest some extra funds with the K-9 units and get a drug dog stationed in the school.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

lynnz05 is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320 View Post
    Agreed
    What I say is my opinion, not my employers or that of my academic institution.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    We search students all the time. But we rarely lay hands on the students. Usually we have them empty there pockets and go through there bookbags. School Administrators only need reasonable suspicion where LEOs need probable cause..............but I have every right in the world to be standing there when the principal does the search.
    As far as the strip searches........I wouldnt do it if I had 5 cops, 3 judges, and the Pope standing there with me. Too much liability.
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information