Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO

2-year-old fatally shot on far South Side

By Michelle Gallardo

September 22, 2006 (last updated 3:59 p.m.) - A 2-year-old boy was shot dead inside his home Friday afternoon. Chicago police were called to the scene shortly after 10 a.m. It happened at 118th and Morgan on the city's far South Side.

Related Links
    Watch the Video

When Damarion Davis's parents left the Area 2 police headquarters Friday afternoon they wouldn't comment on the situation. But it could have all been a tragic accident.

"My little nephew, everybody loved him. I don't understand how this happened," said William Gillyard, victim's uncle.

Sorrow and shock greet the news of his death. Damarion Davis was shot in the head inside his home in the 11800-block of South Morgan Street shortly after 10 a.m. Friday morning. But how and why it happened is unclear.

"This could have been accidental. We just don't know. It's too early to determine just how the gun was discharged and how the child was shot," said Monique Bond, Chicago police.

Police apprehended a suspect within 15 minutes of the shooting just a few blocks away, near 115th Street. The man is described as relatives as a close friend of the family who had spent the night.

However, according to their story, as related by the mother, it was the toddler that shot himself.

"She told me that the boy left the gun laying around and he shot his own self in the head," said Thomas West, victim's cousin.

Damarion was one of four brothers, two of which are said to have been inside the home when the gun went off. It was unclear whether the boy's mother was in the room when it happened, but police say she was the one who made the 911 call.

"The paramedics tried to revive him. They put him on the artificial breathing apparatus, but when he got to the hospital he was already gone," said Herman Broy, neighborhood resident.

One of the problems determining whether this was an accident or not is police have not recovered the gun that was used in the shooting, and they tell us that apparently the suspect that they do have in custody, when he fled the home, he took the weapon with him and dumped it somewhere a long the way.

Police say until they finish interviewing witnesses and find that weapon, they probably won't have answers. An autopsy may help clear this up. That won't be done until Saturday.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    That is tragic. I hope it gets resolved quickly so the parents can properly greive, and the suspect can charged if it's determined he was the reason why it happened.

Thread Information