Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Murder Most Foul

Bodies Of Children Were Found In Washer, Dryer

EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. -- By all accounts, Tiffany Hall and Jimella Tunstall were like sisters, survivors in this place defined by crime, poverty, crumbling buildings and potholed roads.
    The two were quiet loners who gravitated toward each other at school. They both became teenage mothers. Years later with two children of her own, according to media reports, Hall baby-sat Tunstall's three kids.
    With numbing grief, both families are trying to fathom how things went so horrifically wrong.

Hall, 24, is jailed on $5 million bond, accused on Saturday of killing 23-year-old Tunstall and the fetus that authorities say was cut from her womb, perhaps with scissors.

Later Saturday, a furious two-day search for Tunstall's missing children - ages 7, 2 and 1 - ended with another grisly discovery: Authorities found the children's decomposing bodies stuffed in the washer and dryer at the apartment they shared with their mother.

"At least they're at peace with their mom," LaDonna Tunstall, the slain woman's stepmother, told the Belleville News-Democrat.
    As for Hall, she added, "God is going to have to deal with her."
    Hall hasn't been charged in the children's deaths. Autopsies were conducted Sunday as investigators traced back over a 10-day stretch that appeared to get darker by the second.

Refusing to discuss a motive, prosecutors say Hall killed Tunstall, who was seven months pregnant, on or about Sept. 15. Later that night, St. Clair County deputy coroner Ace Hart says, Hall summoned authorities to the Frank Holten State Park where police found her with a dead baby she claims she delivered stillborn.

Hall and the baby were taken to a hospital, where she refused to let doctors examine her and gave conflicting accounts of why she went into labor, alternately saying she had consensual sex and was raped, Hart says.
    The baby girl showed no signs of trauma and an autopsy the next day failed to pinpoint a cause of death. "We didn't even figure it was a homicide," Hart said.

When the funeral for the baby - named Taylor Horn - took place six days later, the mortuary's director found Hall acting strangely. Just minutes before the service, Levi King says, Hall called to ask if she could reschedule for a different day so more family could attend. Hall turned up two hours late. "That's never happened before," King says.
    Then during the service, Police Chief James Mister says, the woman confided in her boyfriend - a sailor home on leave - that the child belonged to a pregnant woman she said she killed. The boyfriend told police, who arrested Hall hours later.

By that time, authorities already had found Tunstall's body in a weedy lot just blocks from the sprawling state park where Hall had summoned police six days earlier. Near the body were scissors Hart suspects were used to carve out the woman's fetus.

In his nearly quarter century in the coroner's business, Hart says he'd seen it all around this city where violent crime typically dominates the headlines. But this carnage, he admits, "was very graphic and very brutal." It got worse.

By the next morning, investigators were imploring the media and public to help in locating Tunstall's three children they said were last seen four days earlier with Hall. Dozens of law enforcers and volunteers converged on the state park in a frantic search by horseback, foot, air and boat. Everything, including cadaver dogs, proved fruitless.

On Saturday, searchers rechecked the overgrown plot where Tunstall was found dead, thinking maybe they overlooked something. They scoured other sites around town, only to come away empty-handed.
    Still, "we have no evidence that leads us to believe they're dead," Illinois State Police Capt. Craig Koehler told reporters later that day in announcing Hall had been charged in the deaths of Tunstall and her fetus. "We are not going to stop until we find these children." Little did they know they'd already brushed past the kids.

Hart says investigators on Friday had been inside Tunstall's apartment 28J at the John DeShields public housing complex to get photographs of the missing children for media outlets to publicize during the search.
    Authorities found nothing unusual and left, only to return on Saturday night when Hall "'fessed up where the kids were," Hart says. Inside the closed apartment, the pungent stench of death greeted them.
    Police found 7-year-old DeMond Tunstall's body - 4 feet tall, 55 pounds - dead in the dryer. The other two children - 2-year-old Ivan Tunstall-Collins and 1-year-old Jinela Tunstall - were lifeless in the washer. Two of the children were nude, the third wearing only underpants.

Hart can't fault anyone for not finding the children during their previous visit. "Who would be looking in the washer and dryer?" he says.
    One by one, coroner Rick Stone declared each child dead a minute apart. Hart had the grim chore of pulling each from the appliance, softly laying them on the floor and zipping them into separate body bags. The outcome rattled Koehler.

"Any time you have three deceased children, it's a very emotional time," the state police investigator said, his eyes misting. "All these investigators have worked tirelessly with one outcome in mind - to find these children alive."
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    I'm speechless. How can someone be such an animal.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    What's disturbing, is this is not the first time something like this has happened.

In the previous case, it was a girlfriend of the baby's father that murdered a pregnant woman and her 3 children.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Follow up to original story

A woman accused of killing a pregnant woman and her fetus told police she drowned the woman's three young children and stuffed them into a washer and dryer at their apartment, an official said Sunday.

Preliminary autopsies on the dead children Sunday appear to show they were drowned, Ace Hart, a deputy St. Clair County coroner, told The Associated Press.

As of Sunday, Tiffany Hall, 24, had not been charged in the children's deaths, but prosecutors on Saturday accused Hall of killing their mother, Jimella Tunstall, 23, and her fetus. The fetus had been cut from her womb, authorities said.

According to Sunday's autopsies, there were no signs of physical abuse or trauma on the children — ages 7, 2, and 1 — and toxicology tests were pending "to see if they were poisoned or possibly drugged," Hart said.

"They were not drowned there in the wash machine," Hart stressed.

On Sunday, the community turned to prayer to understand the slayings at a service for the slain family.

"This is an opportunity for people to turn to God," said Debra Kenton, a member of the New Life Community Church. "Who else can explain things like this?"

Authorities suspect Tunstall was slain on or about Sept. 15.

That day, Hall summoned police to a park, saying she had given birth to a stillborn child, Hart said. She was arrested after she told her boyfriend during the baby's funeral that the baby wasn't his and that she had killed the mother to get it, authorities said.

Tunstall's body was found Thursday, and authorities began a furious search for her children. Police said the children were last seen with the Hall on Monday.

Authorities had visited Tunstall's apartment Friday but noticed nothing amiss while looking for photographs of the children for media outlets to publicize in their search, Hart said.

Hall told police where the bodies were and told police she drowned them, Hart said. He said he understood why investigators may have overlooked the children during their previous trip to the apartment. "Who would be looking in the washer and dryer?"

By Saturday night, Hart said, "you could find them by the smell."

The oldest, 7-year-old DeMond Tunstall, was found in the dryer and the younger two children — 2-year-old Ivan Tunstall-Collins and 1-year-old Jinela Tunstall — in the washer. Two of the children were found nude, the third wearing only underpants, Hart said.

Hall remained jailed Sunday on $5 million bond, charged with first-degree murder in Tunstall's death and with intentional homicide of an unborn child.

Meanwhile, stuffed animals continued to mount outside Tunstall's apartment, its door crisscrossed with white evidence tape. There was a white teddy bear, and a stuffed race car with DeMond's name.

An autopsy showed that Jimella Tunstall bled to death after sustaining an abdominal wound caused by a sharp object, believed to be scissors, Hart has said. Authorities believe her womb was cut open after she was knocked unconscious.

Relatives say Tunstall grew up with Hall and had let her baby-sit her children. Hall has two children of her own. Illinois State Police Capt. Craig Koehler said they are "safe and sound."

Hall likely will be arraigned Monday on the two charges, each carrying a 20 to 60 years or life in prison, prosecutors said. The murder count could be punishable by the death penalty.

DNA tests should determine definitively whether the baby was the one Tunstall was carrying, Hart said.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I think I'm going to be sick. I can't think of anything bad enough to do to this woman. Torture lasting for years wouldn't even be bad enough. Conscious vivisection wouldn't be bad enough.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

hopefully the other inmates, will show her painful hell. mentally and physically. ram her head in the toilet, just enough to not drown...burn her stomach just enough to not die...basically fear for her life everyday. for the rest of her life. course that wouldnt' be enough either..
    you remind me so much of the ground. I'd love to walk all over you.

OFK
    OFK is offline Trollicious
    This is truly a sad and disturbing case. I did tear up when I heard on the news where the childrens bodies were found. It is difficult to conceive someone doing something so horrific.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    It is difficult to believe that one who could conceive could conceive of doing something so horrific.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Dinosaur32 is offline Long In The Tooth
    Even with all the sh*t we see here in the Courts, I still get upset when the victim is as young as these. People watch us and think we must be then most cold-hearted bast8rdsw around. But if show our true feelings these cases would all be mis-trials.

Thread Information