Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO

Everyone Makes fun of me about my fear of the dentist

'Doesn't look good' for 5-year-old in coma after dentist visit

September 25, 2006
    BY ART GOLAB Staff Reporter
    A 5-year-old girl who was sedated during a visit to the dentist Saturday never woke up and remained in a coma late Sunday at Children's Memorial Hospital.
    Diamond Brownridge of Chicago, who had just started kindergarten, was on life support and in critical condition, according to hospital officials. Diamond's mother, Ommettress Travis, said she was told by doctors "to prepare for the worst. It doesn't look good."

Before being put on life support, Diamond had no pulse and had not been breathing for at least an hour, her mother said.

Travis said her daughter was given an oral sedative, followed by an intravenous sedative and nitrous oxide gas at a storefront dental clinic in the Little Village neighborhood.

Representatives of the clinic could not be reached for comment Sunday.

Mom says head rolled back
    Diamond had complained of tooth pain and had been diagnosed with two cavities, her mother said. In addition she was going to get caps on her lower front teeth. In all, six teeth were treated.
    When the dentist started working on her daughter, Travis said she was told to leave the examination room. She returned a half-hour later, after paying the bill, and found her daughter lying on her side in the chair.

"There was nobody watching her," Travis said. "When I turned my daughter over, her head rolled back and her eyes were in the back of her head. She wasn't breathing."

Travis called for the dentist, who she said began pinching Diamond in the shoulder but got no response.

Desperate, Travis appealed to another dentist in the office for help. He attached a pulse monitor to Diamond's finger, and when it did not register a heartbeat, "They shook the machine like it may have been broken," Travis said.

At that point someone called 911. Paramedics arrived, failed to resuscitate the girl and took her to the hospital, where she was put on life support, Travis said.

In Illinois, the law requires dentists who use intravenous sedation to have a special license, as well as special monitoring and resuscitation equipment on hand. The state Department of Professional Regulation said the dentist who treated Diamond had been licensed since 1997, held the required sedation license and had no record of discipline.

Late Sunday, Travis said Diamond's life "is in God's hands."

"She loved to go to church; she loved life," Travis said. "I'm devastated. She was my baby."
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Emily is offline Corporal
    Wow, that sucks. Poor girl.

The day before I got my wisdom teeth out I read a story about a 17-year old that died during his oral surgery.......

I don't blame you for hating the dentist!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sadly, a lot of people have essentially allergic reactions to general anestesia. Most are limited to intense nausea and vomiting, but a rare few cases go farther.

Poor kid, poor family. Even if she lives, it won't be much of a life at all. Not with that degree of oxygen deprivation.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Oh thanks, I have an appointment today.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56 View Post
    Travis said her daughter was given an oral sedative, followed by an intravenous sedative and nitrous oxide gas
    Anyone else think this was waaaaaaaaaaaay too much juice?
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Emily is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    Anyone else think this was waaaaaaaaaaaay too much juice?
    It seems like a lot, but it's really not.

I had a intravenous sedative and once I was out they gave me an oral sedative.

But then again... I'm not a 5-year old girl.

CopsRCool302 Guest
    Here, they go by the childs weight and stuff, i smell a screw up, a over dose.. Heart goes out to the parents, I would kill....

wayyyyyyyy to much juice for a child...

Verified LEO
    Last time I went it took 8 shots of novacaine to get me numb. Then I couldn't feel my face for like 2 days.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by dadyswat View Post
    Good luck, anything you want to leave me?

CopsRCool302 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dadyswat View Post

don't worry, you'll be ok. i get the shots to numb.. I never got put out.

so My friend, your safe

CopsRCool302 Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56 View Post
    Good luck, anything you want to leave me?
    hahahaahaahahaahh... yer bad!

HockeyChick is offline Blah.
    This story upsets me.

Sounds like the dentist was grossly negligent. You don't EVER leave an unconscious patient unattended, nor do you EVER leave an unconscious patient without monitoring equipment on!

I wish the girl will pull through, but not breathing for an hour? It is definitely grim.

I hope the mother sues the hell out of the dentist, and the dentist never works again.

And I hate the dentist too. Having my wisdom teeth removed was a torturous experience.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    My nerve endings are super sensitive. When I go, they have to give me enough for person three times my size, but I still hate denists with a purple passion.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    My wife is a dental hygienist. In Texas, you must have serious training to practice dental medicine. She's BLS/health care provider certified. The same level that I am. That being said, the problem is that if you go to a strip mall for dental care, then you get what you pay for. Once under sedation, a patient must be monitored. You don't go dick around somewhere else. You stay with the patient. Your equipment WILL work or you face HEAVY fines. The state board actually has LE officials on staff.

You think you hate going to the dentist? Try being a patient while yer dating the girl in dental school. And she was mad at me that day. I laugh at novicain. It doesn't work-ever. I've gotten used to saying, "Hey doc, let 'er rip", just as soon as I hit the chair. I'm not going to get the benefit of it, so why get jabbed in the gums with a needle?

Lizzy is offline Rookie
    My biggest fear in life is the dentist. Had a few bad experiences when I was a child. True story....my dentist as a child worked his way through dental school as a butcher.

As a health professional I cannot believe that the child was not monitored with all those meds. I smell a HUGE lawsuit although it does not bring the child back.

Finally....my husband is having all 4 wisdom teeth done next week under general. Not sure which of us is more nervous. He will get lots of TLC afterwards.

Lizzy

SRT Sniper is offline Improvise-Adapt-Overcome!
    This story sucks!! I realize that the "facility" was a strip mall, but if you don't have the required equipment, etc., which you probably WON'T in a strip mall, the practice should be limited. Then I guess if the guy was licensed, you should be able to expect competent care... So sad, I really wish people would pay a bit more attention to their children... I know that there is NO WAY I would leave the room during something like that with one of my kids. I'm NOT blaming the mother, but a lawsuit doesn't bring a child back!!

So what's up with the strip mall medicine these days?? A clinic just opened here inside our walmart store, my eye doctor is in the mall, and I think my dentist just moved into one as well!!

And Pedro, man... I don't have anything to say about you being skeered of the dentist!!
    You are a sniper when all other methods to save a life are failing...
    You are a counter-sniper when someone else thinks they are as good as you with a rifle.

Nec hostium timete, nec amicum reusate - Audentes fortuna iuvat - Nemo me impune laedere
    Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas

Lizzy is offline Rookie
    Explain to me what child gets caps? They don't even have all their adult teeth.

SRT Sniper is offline Improvise-Adapt-Overcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy View Post
    Lizzy, my son had to have some of his teeth capped because the enamel was not thick enough to protect his teeth until he could get his adult teeth. It does seem silly, but when the child gets cavities much more easily than other children and you have to deal with the toothache issues, the caps are at least, some solution to the problem.

Just my .02 worth...
    You are a sniper when all other methods to save a life are failing...
    You are a counter-sniper when someone else thinks they are as good as you with a rifle.

Nec hostium timete, nec amicum reusate - Audentes fortuna iuvat - Nemo me impune laedere
    Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I still have two of my "baby teeth" and still hate going to the dentist.
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

CopsRCool302 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy View Post

Lizzy, when my son was 10, he had caps put on...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information