Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO

How is this the polices fault?

Cops faulted in woman's ordeal
    Mentally ill, she was freed, injured in plunge

September 25, 2006
    BY FRANK MAIN AND ANNIE SWEENEY Crime Reporters
    A California woman displayed bizarre behavior in a South Side police lockup in May, refusing to be fingerprinted, screaming all night for help and smearing bodily fluids on the walls, sources said.
    But a hierarchy of Chicago Police officials allegedly failed to heed her symptoms of mental illness or act on her mother's statement to an officer that her daughter suffered from bipolar disorder.

Lockup workers at the police station at 51st and Wentworth were indifferent to the woman's screaming, with one referring to her as "the white bitch in the back making all that noise," the sources said, in a first peek at a long-awaited review of her treatment by police.

Officials at the front desk there failed to give her mother in California an adequate explanation about the process for bonding her daughter out of jail, which would have cost her $100, the sources said.

At Rehabilitation Institute
    Instead, the 21-year-old woman was freed from the lockup without her parents' knowledge and wound up being sexually assaulted at a nearby public housing complex. She was critically injured when she plunged from a seventh-floor window.
    A police internal investigation is expected to lead to discipline against officers -- possibly including a watch commander -- for violating the department's rules on handling mentally ill detainees and displaying a lack of concern about her condition, sources said.

Dozens of witnesses, including police officers in the Chicago Lawn and Wentworth districts, have been interviewed in the probe.

The woman, a former UCLA student whom the Chicago Sun-Times is not naming because she is a sexual assault victim, suffered massive brain injuries as well as broken legs and a broken pelvis. She is paralyzed and being treated at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.

Monique Bond, a spokeswoman for the Police Department, would not comment on what disciplinary action is expected.

"The appropriate disciplinary action will be taken once the investigation is complete," Bond said. "This is a complicated matter and one that deserves a thorough, impartial and professional examination. In the meantime, the Chicago Police Department will be looking to the experts to assist us in identifying a more comprehensive approach to identifying irrational behavioral patterns."

Sources said they do not expect any disciplinary action that would exceed a 30-day suspension.

The woman, in Chicago for a dancing job that never materialized, was arrested May 7 after causing disturbances at Midway Airport and on an L platform, police said.

She initially was taken to the Chicago Lawn District, where an officer spoke to her mother on the phone about her mental illness and was told her parents wanted her to come home to California, sources said. The officer properly notified her superiors of the conversation, sources said.

Released 2 hours earlier
    A sergeant -- untrained at the time in recognizing signs of mental illness -- interviewed the woman, and a watch commander approved her transport to the Wentworth District, the sources said. The watch commander is under scrutiny over that decision.
    The woman's mother spoke to officers on the desk at the Wentworth District and was prepared to have relatives in Illinois go to the station to get her daughter out, sources said.

But the mother was not told how exactly to have her daughter released on bond. The mother was shocked to learn in a phone call that her daughter had been released about two hours earlier on her own signature, sources said.

The 21-year-old woman then wandered into a JJ Fish restaurant, and young men took her to an apartment in the Robert Taylor Homes, sources said. A video camera in the restaurant reportedly captured bizarre behavior by the woman.

A reputed gang member, Marvin Powell, forced his way into the apartment and was alone with her, investigators said. Powell was charged with criminal assault in the attack, but it is unclear how she came to plummet to the street below. Powell told investigators the sex was consensual and that the woman abruptly jumped from the window.

The victim's mother, Kathleen Paine, has filed a federal lawsuit against the city, and a judge last Monday issued an agreed protective order that certain documents in the case cannot be discussed.

Documents sought
    But on Thursday, the family filed a petition asking that the Police Department's internal documents -- including about 47 interviews with officers and civilians -- be released for public view. City attorneys argue that the agreed protective order covers those documents and other details of the department's internal review.
    Sources have told the Sun-Times that the woman, who worked at a health club in the Los Angeles area, had also worked as an exotic dancer.

fmain@suntimes.com

asweeney@suntimes.com
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    So she was off her meds and behaving like a total bitch, (just like every other total bitch in jai) and the cops let her go, so Mommy's all pissed because her daughter's a ho bag.

If the daughter's that bad off, why did her parents allow her to move away to being with? If she's as unstable as Mommy Dearest claims, how was she able to hold a job?

I think Mommy is looking for someone to blame.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Here is the deal on this one though, when it happened, she had come out here for a "dancing gig" from California. Well the john decided against taking out the "dancer" for whatever reason. Well, she goes to Midway Airport broke and crying to daddy she has no money and is stranded here. What ended up happening is that she started to flip out in the airport and they arrested her for something. She goes to the female lockup and acts like every other stugats that gets arrested. Then someone claiming to be a family member says she has mental problems and must be held longer. She is an adult, she can be released on her own recognisance (sp? to big of a word for me) then she meets the little shites from the projects and things happened and she was tossed out of a window after being raped. Well, if Ducky was my g/f and I didn't like her and she got locked up, Who is to say I wouldn't call claiming to be her husband, father, brother etc. and say "Oh she is nutz hold her longer" Are you kidding me? that is liability right there now you are going to hold someone longer violating the orders of the pd and her rights? Either way someone would have gotten screwed, there is no hard proof that the person on the other end of that phone line is telling the truth right?
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I think Mommy is looking for someone to blame.
    Nope, mommy is looking for a check plain and simple. She probably doesn't even give a rat's ass about her daughter.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Dinosaur32 is offline Long In The Tooth
    Thanks to liberal politicians and the ultra-liberal media, the concept of personal and family responsibility is fast disappearing in this country. Every couple of weeks we get a similar case in NY. Sonny boy wakes up fails to take his meds and slaps mommy around. Does the rest of the family try to get him to calm down and dose himself? No. They call the cops. Now when the cops have to take action because sonny boy attacks them, it is the cops' fault that he is injured, killed. This society is going to hell in a hand basket.
    Last edited by Dinosaur32; 09-26-06 at 01:37 PM.

CopsRCool302 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
    Thanks to liberal politicians and the ultra-liberal media, the concept of personal and family responsibility is fast disappearing in this country. Every couple of weeks we get a similar case in NY. Sonny boy wakes up fails to take his meds and slaps mommy around. Does the rest of the family try to get him to calm down and dose himself? No. They call the cops. Now when the cops have to take action because sonny boy attacks them, it is the cops' fault that he is injured, killed. This society is going to hell in a hand basket.
    Oh man, I agree with you there. it's always the police at fault, never the civi..

people need to wake up and smell the coffee... will it ever end? good question.

Thread Information