Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class

Don't miss Fatwa Fridays!!!

Radio ad draws fire for Muslim references
    Sunday, September 24, 2006
    Associated Press

Columbus - A car dealership's tongue-in-cheek radio advertisement declaring "a jihad on the automotive market" will not be changed, the company said, despite drawing sharp criticism that the ad's content is offensive.

Several stations rejected the spot from Dennis Mitsubishi, which boasts that sales representatives wearing "burqas" - head- to-toe traditional dress for Islamic women - will sell vehicles that can "comfortably seat 12 jihadists in the back."

"We firmly believe the ad does not in any way disrespect any religion or culture, but we feel, I guess, that maybe poking a little fun at radical extremists is fair game," dealership President Keith Dennis said Saturday. "It was our intention to craft something around some of the buzzwords of the day and give everyone a good chuckle and be a little bit of a tension reliever."

While Dennis defended the ad as a harmless attempt to bring levity to a serious situation, the Columbus chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations decried it as disrespectful.

"Using that as a promotional pitch when so many are dying from the criminal activity of suicide bombers, that's not funny," chapter President Asma Mobin- Uddin said. "I don't think it's appropriate when it causes real pain. It exploits or promotes misunderstanding in terms already misunderstood or misused."

In the ad, Dennis talks about "launching a jihad on the automotive market" and giving away toy swords to children.

"Our prices are lower than the evildoers' every day. Just ask the pope!" the ad says. "Friday is fatwa Friday, with free rubber swords for the kiddies."

A fatwa is a religious edict.

Some radio stations are balking at the dealership's attempt to poke fun at extremists, though.

"With no disrespect to their creativity or their desire to build business, everything we're about is promoting the values of diversity. To air things of that sort would go against our mission statement," said Jeff Wilson, general manager of three Radio One stations in Columbus.

The dealership says that nothing in the ad is intended to promote a negative stereotype of Islam. A group that previewed the ad didn't raise any objections, although no one from the group was Islamic, Dennis said.

Radio executives who heard the ad last week thought it was funny and aggressive, dealership general manager Aaron Masterson said.

"This is one where we feel we're taking a bull's-eye on terrorists," Masterson said. "After all the nonsense that the terrorists put the public through, they're fair game."

The ad, written and produced by the company, will begin airing next week, although Dennis said he was uncertain of which radio stations had accepted the spot.

Twisted, but I love it!!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Too bad it's too far away for me to deal with, I'd like to start getting my parts through them. LOL
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Sucks that the whole "Freedom of Speech" thing doesn't always favor them, don't it?
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    I think it's hilarious!

Dinosaur32 is offline Long In The Tooth
    Seems like some pretty funny copy to me.........but then again I think most muslims should be bombed back into the stone age.

Thread Information