Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: shots fired

ida40dj is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

shots fired

Shots fired

Suspect at large, faces attempted murder charge

By Evan Belanger

Authorities are on the lookout for a suspected car thief who reportedly exchanged shots with a Hanceville police officer Monday night.

Last seen in the Center Hill community, he is described as a white male, in his mid 30s, approximately 5-feet, 6 inches tall, weighing 160 pounds, with a short, unkempt beard. He was wearing a red shirt, blue jeans and a baseball cap at the time of the incident.

According to authorities, he should be considered armed and dangerous. He is wanted for grand theft auto and attempted murder of a police officer.

While on the scene, Hanceville Police Chief Philip Bray said the man apparently stole a black vehicle described as either a Chevrolet Camaro or a Pontiac Trans Am shortly before 6 p.m. Monday near County Road 668.

After the car owner and a another individual spotted the suspect driving the stolen vehicle, they reportedly followed and notified the police. The first officer to respond, Chris Price of the Hanceville Police Department, arrived to find the suspect had crashed into a tree off 668.

As the man fled the scene on foot, Price ordered him to stop, but the man reportedly turned, drew a pistol and fired a single shot at the officer, narrowly missing him. Price returned fire, but the man ran around the corner of a house on and disappeared into a nearby wooded area.

Authorities, numbering 22 in all, set a perimeter around the area, including a nearby field where the suspect was believed to be headed. Ground searchers included units from the Cullman County Sheriff's Office, the Hanceville Police Department, the Alabama State Troopers and the Cullman City Police Department.

They also called in two helicopters, one from the Alabama State Police and one from the Cullman City Police Department. While both air units were equipped with thermo-imaging devices, the search was unsuccessful and was called off at approximately 9 p.m.

There are unconfirmed reports that a man meeting the subject's description was seen driving a white Chevrolet Blazer into a field inside the search area.

Bray said that vehicle was discovered in the field during the search and has been impounded along with the wrecked car.

A second unconfirmed report alleges that during the early moments of the search, the suspect unsuccessfully attempted to carjack a passing motorist.

According to Sheriff Tyler Roden, who was also on the scene, a cash reward will be offered for any information leading to the arrest of the individual.

"Somebody out there knows who he is or they're going to by tomorrow," he said. "If they have any information for us, they can call the Sheriff's Office or the Hanceville Police Department."

To contact the Cullman County Sheriff's Office, call 734-0342. To contact the Hanceville Police Department, call 352-9811.

As the manhunt wound down, Price told The Cullman Times the shot he fired at the suspect was the first time he had ever fired at a person.

"At that point, I think I was mostly worried about the people in the houses around us," he said. "I wanted to make sure we didn't get a hostage situation or anything like that
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    If the S.O.B. comes to Birmingham, we'll cuff him, stuff him and give him back to you. If he resists, may he rest in pieces!
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

CopsRCool302 Guest
    Stay safe guys!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Prayers and hugs enroute.

Glad the officer was not hurt, and I hope BG gets caught.

I also hope that he gets eaten up by chiggers in the mean time.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    DJ, I hope you weren't the one that he shot at. Please pass along our sense of relief that the officer in question is OK.

Offhand note, I wonder if the wrecked car was a classic redneck Trans-Camaro.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information