Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Woman shoots herself in Deputy's car after finding his back-up gun under the seat

A woman was hospitalized Tuesday after she shot herself with a gun that she found while sitting in a Hendricks County sheriff's deputy's cruiser near Danville, police said.

Nicole Butler, 26, of Brownsburg had been sitting alone in Deputy Evan Love's car outside her boyfriend's house while Love investigated a complaint there, authorities said.

Butler, sitting in the passenger seat, found Love's backup gun under the driver's seat and shot herself in the abdomen shortly after 5:30 a.m., police said.

After the deputy found her wounded, Butler was taken to Indianapolis' Wishard Memorial Hospital, where she underwent surgery. Her condition was described as being stable Tuesday afternoon.

Love had been called to the home, located in the 2500 block of County Road 200 South, after one of Butler's relatives called 911 to say Butler was being held against her will by her boyfriend, according to police.

Love placed Butler in his vehicle so others could be questioned at the home, police said. Butler was not under arrest.

Police said they found no evidence that Butler was being held at the home against her will.

Butler's boyfriend, Ryan Randall, told police that Butler was on methadone and was not herself, 6News' Tanya Spencer reported.

Randall said Love was in Randall's house when they heard a gunshot outside. He said Love went to the car to see what happened.

"He came out here and he said, 'She shot herself,' " Randall said.

Officers involved in the incident had no indication that Butler had wanted to hurt herself before she was placed in the car, sheriff's Capt. Brett Clark said.

Clark said a firearms review board would consider altering policy that allows people to be placed in cars while others are interviewed.

"There could be changes, but it's certainly not the time right now to say that there will be," Clark said. "Those guys will look at this in-depth, and make sure no rules violations occurred."

Investigators said Butler has had 10 arrests on various minor offenses since 1999. Friends told 6News that Butler has a history of drug use and mental illness.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    geez, sorry but I don't let anyone sit in the front seat.....sorry it happened to this deputy....
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    That wasn't the smartest choice on the Deputy's part. Hopefully everything for him will work out...

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    crazy woman.
    the only people that ever got into my front seat was my lt.'s mother and my son.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    So she had time to rummage around in the car? bad idea unless behind a partition.. Better her than the deputy.
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

Thread Information