Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Another school shooting - this time PA

Multiple people have been shot at an Amish school in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, a state police spokesman says.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    http://www.nbc10.com/news/9981916/detail.html

There have been several people shot at a school in Lancaster County, Pa., in the town of Paradise.

The Wolf Rock school is a one-room Amish school located on Mine Road. Police say the situation is now under control.

Reports into NBC 10 indicated that numerous medical personnel were called to the scene. Helicopters have taken some people to a nearby hospital.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What the hell? An AMISH school shooting? Did someone listen to Wierd Al while tripping on acid or something??
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    it would be better if it read...

slingshots were involved
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/02/ami....ap/index.html

Police: Number of people dead in Amish school shooting
    POSTED: 12:41 p.m. EDT, October 2, 2006

NICKEL MINES, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A gunman killed "a number" of people at a one-room Amish schoolhouse Monday in Pennsylvania's Lancaster County, state police said.

The shooter was among the dead, state police Cpl. Ralph Striebig said.

"There are a number of people dead," Striebig said. "The exact number I do not know yet."
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    At least six killed in Amish school shooting

NICKEL MINES, Pa. - At least six people were killed Monday in a shooting at a one-room Amish school, the county coroner said. The identities and ages of the victims were not immediately available.

The shooter was among the dead, state police Cpl. Ralph Striebig said.

“There are also a number of wounded,” he added.

Three girls, all critical with gunshot wounds, were admitted to Lancaster General Hospital, spokesman John Lines told NBC affiliate WGAL-TV.

WGAL-TV also reported that the shooter was an adult male who had entered the school in rural Lancaster County and and started making threats.

Some people in the Amish community learned about the situation and contacted police, WGAL reported. Negotiations apparently then took place but at some point at least 10 shots were fired within the school, WGAL said. It appeared the shooter took his own life.

Two hours later, about three dozen people in traditional Amish clothing, hats and bonnets stood near the small school building speaking to one another, several young people and authorities.

At least two ambulances had left the scene, and at least one person was taken on a stretcher to a medical helicopter.

Twenty-seven students are said to have attended the private school, which teaches first through eighth grades.

Officials at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center confirmed that victims were being admitted there. A spokeswoman said the hospital anticipated more than one patient, but did not know how many.

Other recent incidents
    The shooting followed reports earlier on Monday of lockdowns at two schools in the Las Vegas area.

Police and trained dogs had deployed around Mojave High and Elizondo Elementary schools in North Las Vegas, Nevada, and police were looking for an armed youth, KLAS-TV reported.

Monday’s violence followed two gun-related incidents that shook U.S. schools last week.

On Friday, a 15-year-old student fatally wounded his school’s principal in western Wisconsin. A drifter in Colorado Wednesday took six female high school students hostage, molested them and then shot one to death and killed himself as police closed in.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15105305/
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

nitestokker is offline Banned

Arm and properly train the staff!

I feel that the world has come to a point where the staff should be armed and properly trained in the use of firearms for self-defense and defense of others. This, in conjunction with proper security procedures at the front desk, locking outside access doors, joint training with law enforcement, and seminars for parents to teach them about identifying this type of thing at home would all, in harmony, help to quell this sort of thing. In every place I have ever worked, EVERYONE always says " That stuff always happens somewhere else. No one will ever do that here." Ignorance and denial will get you KILLED! Wake UP!!!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    More info

Police: Pa. school gunman a truck driver

By MARK SCOLFORO, Associated Press Writer 8 minutes ago

NICKEL MINES, Pa. - A 32-year-old truck driver took more than a dozen students hostage in a one-room Amish schoolhouse Monday, barred the doors with boards and fatally shot at least six people including himself, authorities said.

The gunman, identified as Charles Carl Roberts, had been in the school about 45 minutes before police got the call, State Police Commissioner Jeffrey B. Miller said. Officers had to break windows to get into the school. By then, three young girls and the gunman were dead, he said.

Police said earlier the gunman sent the male students outside while keeping the girls in and blocking the doors.

It was the nation's third deadly school shooting in less than a week, and one of the deadliest in U.S. history.

"So far, six confirmed dead, and the helicopters are pulling into (Lancaster General Hospital) like crazy," Coroner G. Gary Kirchner said.

Three girls, ages 6-12, were admitted to Lancaster General Hospital in critical condition with gunshot wounds, spokesman John Lines said. Officials at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center confirmed that victims also were being admitted there.

Police late Monday morning surrounded the one-room schoolhouse, a tiny building surrounded by a white fence and farm fields in southeastern Lancaster County. The Lancaster County 911 Web site reported that dozens of emergency units were dispatched to a "medical emergency" at 10:45 a.m.

Hours after the attack, about three dozen people in traditional Amish clothing, broad-brimmed hats and bonnets stood nearby speaking to one another and authorities. Others gathered with a group of children at a nearby farm while investigators stretched out in a line across a field searching for evidence.

The school is just outside Nickel Mines, a tiny village about 55 miles west of Philadelphia.

On Friday, a school principal was gunned down in Cazenovia, Wis. A 15-year-old student, described as upset over a reprimand, was charged with murder in the killing. Just two days earlier, an adult gunman held six girls hostage in a school at Bailey, Colo., before killing a 16-year-old girl and then himself.

Nationwide, the 1999 Columbine High School massacre in Littleton, Colo., remains the deadliest school shooting, claiming the lives of 15 people, including the two teenage gunmen. Last year, a 16-year-old shot seven people to death at a school on Minnesota's Red Lake Indian Reservation, then killed himself.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061002/...chool_shooting
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    He dropped his own kids off at school, had boards in his truck to board up the windows, he tied up the girls and shot them execution style.

Apparently because of a grudge he harbored from 20 years ago - when he was 12.

This is really beyond arming teachers, this is about teaching our children to not be passive victims.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

CopsRCool302 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nitestokker View Post
    I feel that the world has come to a point where the staff should be armed and properly trained in the use of firearms for self-defense and defense of others. This, in conjunction with proper security procedures at the front desk, locking outside access doors, joint training with law enforcement, and seminars for parents to teach them about identifying this type of thing at home would all, in harmony, help to quell this sort of thing. In every place I have ever worked, EVERYONE always says " That stuff always happens somewhere else. No one will ever do that here." Ignorance and denial will get you KILLED! Wake UP!!!
    AGREED BRO!

CopsRCool302 Guest
    this is sad, My thoughts are with those familys...

L.E. Psych is offline Officer First Class
    Absolutely Nitestokker, I could not have even come close to saying it any better. What the hell is going on out there in the world?

ticktwrter is offline Rookie
    The Pennsylvania shooting was in a little one room type building, what kind of security can there be there? Sadly, there was nothing probably that could be done. This is a reason I carry a gun off duty all the time. You never know when some nut will try something there you are.
    God Bless those kids and their families.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I feel that the world has come to a point where the staff should be armed and properly trained in the use of firearms for self-defense and defense of others.
    +1 Dittos to you, buddy...

And also I think this proves once again that negotiations should be skipped in these types of situations - It only allows the hostage taker time to set things up for the slaughter. If is tactically possible to neturalize the hostage taker immediately, then do it.

If you want to negotiate to distract him while guys with flash-bangs, .223's and .308's set up for the take-down, then ok - But anytime you have a bead on them is a good time to pull the trigger, I think.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 10-02-06 at 05:22 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    A wise old SWAT commander once said "In those types of situations, hostage negotiators are good for one thing. That's tying up the shithead's attention and thoughts in order to give the SWAT team time to prepare before going in and shooting the motherfucker."

Prayers for those families.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I think sadly there was a delay do to the lack of modern utilities. I read it took 45 minutes, and I'm guessing because there was no phone.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    The whole situation is very sad, my thoughts are prayers are with the families.

OFK
    OFK is offline Trollicious
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    He dropped his own kids off at school, had boards in his truck to board up the windows, he tied up the girls and shot them execution style.

Apparently because of a grudge he harbored from 20 years ago - when he was 12.

This is really beyond arming teachers, this is about teaching our children to not be passive victims.

I totally agree, however, I do take issue with the adults he let go that actually left the children behind. I can totally understand the mind set of not wanting to die, leave family behind, it's not in my job description etc...but I would like to think, that if facing a dire situation like that, that as a citizen, I would at the very least stand up for innocent, defenseless children despite the odds of survival. I would not be able to live with myself if I simply walked away.

ticktwrter is offline Rookie
    Let's not be too quick to judge the adults. None of us were there and had to make that kind of decision.

OFK
    OFK is offline Trollicious
    Quote Originally Posted by ticktwrter View Post
    Let's not be too quick to judge the adults. None of us were there and had to make that kind of decision.

I agree about judgement, you are right, we were not there, but if you look at what little facts that are known, there are children who have been killed pretty much execution style and a few adults that are alive who were let go. I am preeeeety sure they knew when they walked out that it was not going to end well. I am not saying they were "wrong", but I would not want to survive something like that by just walking away and I feel that it is actually inhumane no matter what you are going through. That's the problem with society today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information