Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Angry Family 'shock' at shooting probe

The family of a man shot dead by police have reacted with "unbelievable shock and astonishment" to news that officers will not face criminal charges.
    Charity worker Simon Murden, 26, from Beverley, was shot after driving the wrong way down the A63 and walking towards armed police with a sword.

After an 18-month investigation the Crown Prosecution Service said no charges would be brought.

But Mr Murden's family said they had expected "a very different outcome".

'Terrible and untimely'

In a statement the family said: "It is with unbelievable shock and astonishment that our family and friends have responded to the news that no criminal charges will be brought against the police for the terrible and untimely death of Simon.

"The thorough and vigorous investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission and discussions with the Crown Prosecution Service and the knowledge that we have from this, had indicated a very different outcome."

He did not deserve such a shocking death at the hands of the police

Family of Simon Murden

The family described Mr Murden as gentle, sensitive, humorous, "calm in all circumstances", kind and genuine.

They said: "We know that a coroner's court is a court of law, but it is not the appropriate place for a full and transparent account of the events surrounding the terrible death of Simon to be judged.

"We and our friends are determined to pursue Simon's case to ensure justice for him. He did not deserve such a shocking death at the hands of the police."

'Volatile situation'

Humberside Police's Chief Constable Tim Hollis said Mr Muden's death was "tragic in so many ways".

He said: "It was tragic for the Murden family, who will still be struggling to come to terms with the death of a much-loved son; and my thoughts and sympathies go out to all the family at this time."

All my armed officers are volunteers and they carry a heavy burden in protecting the public

Chief Constable Tim Hollis

Mr Hollis said the incident was the first time in the history of the force that armed officers had shot and killed anyone and it was a "very sad event".

He said his thoughts were also with the officers involved and their families.

"The last 18 months have been very difficult for them too. They were confronted by a volatile situation. They only had moments in which to make decisions which would have been scrutinised and analysed at length.

"All my armed officers are volunteers and they carry a heavy burden in protecting the public, protecting unarmed officers and protecting themselves in difficult and demanding circumstances.

"I have a high regard for their commitment and their professionalism."

Earlier crash

Mr Murden worked for his father's fair trade charity, and was driving one of its vans down the A63 in the wrong direction when officers were called to the scene.

He began to approach them carrying "sword-type weapons" and was fatally wounded after baton rounds failed to stop him, police have said.

The van had been involved in a crash with at least one other car before police arrived.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/5401814.stm

This sort of thing makes me so angry, Someone drives the wrong way down a one way road, crashes, threatens police with a sword, they try to restrain him with less than lethal force he continues and they have to shoot him to prevent a murder the family make out he is an angel and the police enjoy hurting and killing people .

1*girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    This sort of thing makes me so angry, Someone drives the wrong way down a one way road, crashes, threatens police with a sword, they try to restrain him with less than lethal force he continues and they have to shoot him to prevent a murder the family make out he is an angel and the police enjoy hurting and killing people .
    I would have shot his ass, too.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    i am glad it turned out as it did!
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Dave, that one probably wouldn't have even made the front page in most US cities. Be thankful that this is such an odd happenstance that it brought the attention it did. Be even more thankful for the courts backing the police on this one. We don't always get that here.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Considering the stupidity of the son, why be surprised that his parents are morons as well.

Was the guy a tweeker?
    Last edited by Willowdared; 10-04-06 at 12:23 AM.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Stupid must be genetic, as you CAN'T pull a sword for anything other than display and not cause a reaction. And even when it's for display, you have to do it slowly and tell them you're doing it. BTDT.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    I think I can understand why parents would be upset, and would cling to the hopes that their child wasn't an a-hole that brought about his/her own death.

I can "get" that.

But what really annoyes me to know end is the media publishing this kind of crap.

I believe 100%, that modern day media, that no longer just presents "the facts" should have a civilian oversight committee to review what it publishes.. Hell, if "we" can't be trusted to police ourselves, how the heck can the media be trusted?

Dinosaur32 is offline Long In The Tooth
    "Media" cares nothing for you or me.......all "media" cares about is selling papers or on air ads. If they can rouse their lemming like fans they'll ruin you for the story.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Dave, that one probably wouldn't have even made the front page in most US cities. Be thankful that this is such an odd happenstance that it brought the attention it did. Be even more thankful for the courts backing the police on this one. We don't always get that here.
    +20

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO

and the police enjoy hurting and killing people .
    Well the 'hurting' half of that is true.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    People need the realize that when you approach police with a deadly weapon in your hands, you're going to end up on the ground whether it's by a taser, bullet, etc. Deadly force is something no officer wants to use, but in times like that it's kill or be killed.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Sounds like the whole family are Darwin Award canidates.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Guess he thought he would have had the same effect with his sword that Wonder Woman had with her bracers...

Kept at a distance a man with a sword (or other bladed or blunt object) can be dealt with. Up close, one swipe and its all she wrote. I would have reacted the same way as those officers.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

L.E. Psych is offline Officer First Class
    The family is obviously delusional and the media clearly has propagated this fantasy world they live in.

The Courts did the right thing, as well as the officers. Kill or be killed, they went home to their families, as it should be. I am glad to here that it turned out ok for them in the courts. Justice prevailed!!!!

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Angry

"The thorough and vigorous investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission and discussions with the Crown Prosecution Service and the knowledge that we have from this, had indicated a very different outcome."

Its clear the IPCC and CPS have been giving the family false information.
    What did they seriously expect.
    The british public and press need to get over the tv image of police shooting a suspect to incapacitate.
    He couldn't be controlled by baton rounds ( At least they tried non lethal )
    Their was only one option left or perhaps they'd like us tosmile sweetly and let him have the first swing just to see if he really means it.
    Whilst losing a close family member is horrible I can only say to them, and the spineless members of the IPCC and CPS who told them the cops would be charged ( That appears to be the implication )
    GET A LIFE AND WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Thread Information