Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

Strangers Try to Stop Attack

Not something that happens often these days, most people don't want to be involved.

Woman stabbed on sidewalk; husband to be charged in slaying

By Mark Arner
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    October 4, 2006

CASA DE ORO – Paula Stead was the first of several strangers who tried to stop the savage stabbing Saturday afternoon on the sidewalk outside the thrift store where she worked.

Stead hit the 170-pound man twice over the head with a wooden table leaf, but it had no effect, she said. He kept on stabbing a woman who was facedown on the concrete.

While Stead ran back into the store to call 911, another woman, a customer, grabbed a golf club and broke it over the man's head. She grabbed a second club and this time struck him in the forehead, slowing him down, Stead said Monday.

Two young men jumped in and wrestled a bloody steak knife from his grip, then held him down until deputies arrived about 4:15 p.m.

The valiant efforts to save Peggy Ann Chillis weren't enough. The 47-year-old woman died three hours later at a hospital. She had been stabbed 24 times, authorities said.

Her estranged husband, Marion Chillis, 54, was scheduled to be arraigned today and charged with her murder.

Court records show that Chillis had been accused of domestic violence three times in four years, twice in 2002 and once in 2005. Each time, the court dropped restraining orders after Chillis contended the allegations were false and claimed his wife was a convicted felon.

Peggy Ann Chillis, 47, was stabbed to death outside a thrift shop in Casa de Oro.
    The day she was killed, Peggy Chillis had just gotten off work at the KFC restaurant in the Casa de Oro Center on Campo Road at Conrad Drive.

Stead, 47, said she heard a couple arguing outside the PossAbilities Thrift Store.

“He was pushing her and she was saying 'No! No!' and trying to get away,” Stead said. “She ran into a column and he pushed her down. She was pleading with him and crying, and I was inside the store.

“I yelled at him to quit hurting her and said we'd call the sheriff.”

Stead said the man pulled out a medium-sized steak knife, hit the woman once and started stabbing her.

“She turned over onto her stomach and then he stabbed her in the back. So I grabbed a leaf from an oak table and hit him on the head a couple times. It didn't do anything to him,” Stead said. “He didn't flinch at all. He just kept on stabbing. After that, I went back inside and called 911.”

Stead said one person called her a hero and gave her a fist full of cash, which Stead is donating to the family.

Donations were being collected in a bucket this week at the KFC restaurant nearby, where Peggy Chillis had worked as a clerk for six months.

Employees at nearby stores were shocked and saddened by the brutal slaying.

“To have such a crazy thing happen like this in broad daylight, it's unreal,” said Bobby Wickey, a 20-year-old clerk at Starbucks Coffee. “It was a real tragic loss. She always had a smile on her face. Even if it was a down day, she was always cheerful.”

Relatives and friends said Marion Chillis was jailed after being accused of physically abusing his wife in June 2005, and since then, he had stalked and harassed her.
    Dolores Smith was Peggy Chillis' roommate for the last 18 months. She said that while Peggy was outwardly upbeat, she hid her problems from others.

“She was doing her darndest to get herself together and get back with her kids,” Smith said.

Peggy Chillis had two boys and a girl, ages 14 to 17, from previous relationships. All three were living with relatives in San Diego, Smith said.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Hopefully their actions will be mentioned for some sort of citizens award from the mayor or Police dept, It is rare these days for people to become involved they diserve some kind of recognition.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Sounds like the guy was flat out possessed. Good job by the citizens, unfortunately it wasn't enough this time...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

“A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.”
    -Winston Churchill

SRT Sniper is offline Improvise-Adapt-Overcome!
    This is an obvious time when someone with a CCW would have been able to address the problem within the necessary time frame to have possibly made a difference in this woman's life.

A prime example of why law abiding civilians should be armed...
    You are a sniper when all other methods to save a life are failing...
    You are a counter-sniper when someone else thinks they are as good as you with a rifle.

Nec hostium timete, nec amicum reusate - Audentes fortuna iuvat - Nemo me impune laedere
    Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas

L.E. Psych is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT Sniper View Post
    This is an obvious time when someone with a CCW would have been able to address the problem within the necessary time frame to have possibly made a difference in this woman's life.

A prime example of why law abiding civilians should be armed...
    SRT, I have to agree with you in some cases, civilians should have the ability to have a concealed weapons with a permit, of course. It is their right and privledge. However, as I have previously posted in a thread on this CCW topic and it has clear connection to this case, my comments where.......

"I am frequently asked by women that are victims of domestic violence whether or not they should get a gun. Here is how I answer them always:

It is your right as a U.S. Citizen to possess a gun for protection of person and property.

You must do it legally, attend the courses, and go through the background check- which may eliminate them in some circumstances. Basically whatever is required by laws here in Florida.

Then I ask them some hard questions: Would you actually be able to shoot your batterer if they were attacking you? Would you actually be able to retain possession of your weapon if they attempted to take it from you? Would you be prepared to die if they got it away from you?

We also go into great detail with them about personal protection. Staying out of the kitchen during a heated argument; getting as many barriers between themselves and the batterer in an attack with a phone calling 911. We explain to them that their Orders of Protection are really only as good as the piece of paper they are written on and response time. We basically explain to them there are, no guarantees to their safety with an Order, and that there are no guarantees if they have a gun.

I also explain to them that they have been beaten down not only physically but mentally, if given the opportunity with all the fear that has been instilled would they actually be physically and mentally able to pull the trigger. Are they willing to take that chance?

Basically this is what anyone needs to thinks about prior to obtaining a concealed weapons permit. Going through the classes and getting a weapon does not mean that they would be able to pull the trigger if their life or the life of a family member was threatened. Can they actually say they would be ok (mentally) with taking another life? Or in a worse case scenario could they live with the knowledge that the offender was given the opportunity (if they fail to use it) to use that very weapon against them or someone they love?" (me in other thread)

There are pros and cons to being able to carry as a civilian, but who would really know if it would have helped in this case.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    This one went down really fast, the deputies were on scene while the call was still in progress...not sure an armed citizen would have made a difference.

This happened right up the road from me, and I live in a part of town where a lot of people "carry."
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    At least somebody stood up and took a stand. People got no spine no more.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    i feel so bad for those kids....
    geesh...
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    At least somebody stood up and took a stand. People got no spine no more.
    Good point. Seems like most people would rather look the other way these days...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

“A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.”
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information