Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    kay88 is offline Sergeant

Should teachers be allowed to carry guns?

MADISON, Wis. - In the wake of school shootings in Wisconsin, Colorado and Pennsylvania during the last two weeks, a state legislator says he plans to introduce legislation that would allow teachers, principals, administrators and other school personnel to carry concealed weapons.
    For the full story go to:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15142930/

I don't think that this is a very good idea. I really honestly believe that it would not help the school violence issue. I think more people could end up getting hurt....
    what do you think?
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    If the teacher gets a CCW and wants to carry, I don't see a problem.

If nothing else, I think it could provide a good deterrence factor. Schools are pretty "soft targets" in that there usually aren't too many police officers around and there are large groups of people congregated together. The fact that there might be teachers that are armed and trained might make a bad guy think twice.

Of course these animals don't have much in the way of mental sanity so who knows if they'll even consider it. In that case, it might be good to have a method of putting them down right away.
    Last edited by Welpe; 10-06-06 at 03:17 AM.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Last edited by conalabu; 11-30-06 at 01:47 PM.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

kay88 is offline Sergeant
    As I am currently in school for the profession of teaching I think I would be more afraid if teachers and staff were allowed to carry guns. It just doesn't seem right to me.
    My profs have instilled in us the idea that we need to make our students feel safe in order for them to learn. news travels fast in schools and if one student finds out they all do. Then that defeats the 'safe' feeling in i'm sure a lot of kids.
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Verified LEO
    Last edited by conalabu; 11-30-06 at 01:47 PM.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I see nothing wrong with it. I would like for there to be some sort of state-mandating training and qualifications, though- like police must have.

What's wrong with telling students who are potentional gunmen: Okay, fine, you want to come in here in shoot? Just keep in mind that some of your "target" may start shooting back.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

ticktwrter is offline Rookie
    I agree with Rhino, require some training just as airline pilots are required to do to carry on a plane. I don't see it happening, though, because there are too many people who mistakenly think guns are evil.

OFK
    OFK is offline Trollicious
    No, bad idea. Teachers are citizens, if anything, there should be more Official presence, SRO's etc. Schools need to put money into security, not guns in the hand of their personnel. This is just a knee jerk reaction to the recent shootings and a bad one at that.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    I think that everyone that is not a convicted felon should have one.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

OFK
    OFK is offline Trollicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56 View Post
    I think that everyone that is not a convicted felon should have one.

Then the entire nation would be armed

dlocke1419 is offline Officer First Class
    I think this a good idea as long as they are trained to use them as well as weapon retention.

Bellum is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by OFK View Post
    Then the entire nation would be armed
    Thats the point , Darwin would weed out the bad ones fairly quickly at that point.

CopsRCool302 Guest
    It's sad its come down to this, but yeah, I believe a teacher should be able to carry a gun, dang, at one time it use to be the paddle, now it's a rod... who would ever guess this would happen...

Dudleydoright is offline Officer First Class
    OMG, I don't even want to think about this!

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    tough call...

I think it could help, as long as they have proper training and have some sort of a plan to minimize crossfire in the event of a school shooting, so the teachers dont just spray lead back and forth and end up hitting more kids than the original gunman

I prefer the idea of having well-trained, uniformed security officers, but I also like the idea of a gunman not knowing for sure who has a gun and who doesnt...
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Verified LEO
    Last edited by conalabu; 11-30-06 at 01:46 PM.

K9ForLife is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
    If the teacher gets a CCW and wants to carry, I don't see a problem.

If nothing else, I think it could provide a good deterrence factor. Schools are pretty "soft targets" in that there usually aren't too many police officers around and there are large groups of people congregated together. The fact that there might be teachers that are armed and trained might make a bad guy think twice.

Of course these animals don't have much in the way of mental sanity so who knows if they'll even consider it. In that case, it might be good to have a method of putting them down right away.
    If the police can hand pick and train the teachers I'd be in favor. I've seen some strange teachers in my career and have seen a number of them arrested. I wouldn't trust some of them carrying a gun. I would agree though that knowing there are a number of concealed weapons in a school may cause some punk to think twice.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    No way to say some teachers can, some teachers can't. I can think of plenty of my teachers that did not need a gun in their possession.
    Yes, there is a way - Run teachers through the same training and physiological testing that SRO's (School Resource Officers) get, including Police Academy, minus whatever doesn't apply to them. Then if they don't pass, they don't get the card - Same principle that they're using to select & train pilots to carry guns into the cockpit.

That would be much better than armed security guards, which only get like four days of training - Not enough time to even go over the scenarios and issues, much less train for them.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 10-06-06 at 04:24 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

oldtrooper is offline Rookie
    Nothing is perfect. The school shooting at the high school in Pearl, MS by student Luke Woodam was stopped by a teacher with a handgun. The teacher ran to his vehicle in the parking lot and retreived a handgun. When he confronted Woodam he surrendered. It is however hard to deter a psycho that intends to die as part of his goal in attacking unarmed school children.

The one thing that could be of benefit would be a lockable gun case that would be hard mounted in selected rooms where the teacher was determined to be competent with a firearm and willing to accept that responsiblilty. Once a code was called that indicated a lockdown the teacher could lock the room door, retreive the weapon and at least offer some protection for the students in the event a shooter forced the door to enter.

Some of this is generated by the intense media coverage with explicit details about how the event was planned and carried out by the shooter. In reality if you look at the number of children that are killed by school shootings each year they are in more danger riding to and from school in a motor vehicle than from a school shooting. We have averaged well over 40,000 fatalities in motor vehicle crashes each year nationwide for the last several years.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtrooper View Post
    The one thing that could be of benefit would be a lockable gun case that would be hard mounted in selected rooms where the teacher was determined to be competent with a firearm and willing to accept that responsiblilty. Once a code was called that indicated a lockdown the teacher could lock the room door, retreive the weapon and at least offer some protection for the students in the event a shooter forced the door to enter.
    I've actually suggested that AR-15's should be stashed in undisclosed secure locations like this, mostly for the SRO's to use, as well as equiping Beat Patrol officers with AR-15's, because some of these shootings have been commited by people in body armor (such as at Red Lake High School), and SWAT is rather slow to get on the scene sometimes - Meantime, 20 people could die.

But believe it or not, I've had people in my town argue with me very strongly that Beat Patrol Officers don't need AR-15's, and shouldn't be trusted with them
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 10-06-06 at 04:32 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information