Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

Cops take CCW'ers guns, again!

Police find weapons arsenal at house close to St. Charles School

UPPER DARBY - A Drexel Hill man is being held on $1 million bail after police allegedly discovered an arsenal of guns, ammunition, and bomb-making materials in his home near an elementary school.

"We headed off a tragedy waiting to happen," said Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood as a diverse array of weapons, including swords, a sniper rifle, and Uzi were laid out during a press conference Monday.

"I'm not a psychiatrist," said Chitwood. "But this guy wasn't playing with a straight deck."

Charles R. Conner, 47, of the 3800 block of Dennison Avenue, is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on DUI terroristic threats, and related charges Oct. 11 in Upper Darby District Court.

In the meantime, police said, a mental health evaluation is being requested.

Further charges are expected after police investigate the origins of 54 firearms, 16 ounces of mercury, two empty grenades, and a book detailing how to build explosive devices, among other things, according to officials.

Chitwood expressed frustration at a court order that allowed the suspect to re-acquire 23 of these guns and other items after they had been confiscated in 2005 following earlier contact with authorities.

"I can tell you I'm not giving these guns back. They'll have to put me in jail first," an impassioned Chitwood told a group of reporters. "This guy knew the system and he used the system."

Conner was arrested Sept. 27, 2006 by patrol officer Fran George for allegedly driving under the influence and prescription drug offenses. He had a loaded handgun in his vehicle with a permit to carry it from Chester County, according to reports.

As his blood was being tested at a local hospital, he allegedly told a hospital employee, "I like you. I'll kill you last."

While in police custody awaiting arraignment, Detective David Madonna recognized Conner from an earlier incident.

On Sept. 12, 2005, officers responded to Conner's home for a suicide attempt, reports state. At that point, they removed all the weapons they found, including the swords and knives, and transported Conner to Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.

Conner was later released from the hospital and over the next several months he came to police headquarters asking for his property back. Police refused him repeatedly, reports state.

On March 20, 2006, Conner obtained a court order from Delaware County Common Pleas Court Judge Joseph P. Cronin. The property was then given back.

Madonna and other officers executed a search warrant on the house after last week's arrest, and found many more potentially dangerous items that were not there the year before, police said.

Detectives are still trying to determine where the guns and other items came from, and whether or not they were legally purchased. The township health department condemned the residence because of the mercury, which Madonna said could be used as a detonator. The substance was sent to the Pa. Department of Environmental Protection.

"It's going to be a long process," said Madonna as he explained the evidence gathering.

The county's bomb squad was called in during the search and police evacuated several houses on the street to ensure safety, according to Madonna.

The house was close to St. Charles Elementary School, police said. Conner allegedly constructed a barrier obstructing a window, according to the reports. Conner has a prior arrest in Haverford Township on charges of criminal trespassing, loitering, and related offenses.

"The sad thing is that this happens across the country," said Chitwood referring to Conner's ability to amass an arsenal. "It's too easy to get guns."

link
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    And the problem is?

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Would your average law-abiding CCW holder want to claim this guy?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Its people like the one above that gives the anti-gun nazi's ammo for banning firearms. I am all for a person having weapons, collecting them and shooting them.

However there are some things that I dont agree with. Bomb making material? Come On...in this day and age, that is a sure ticket to get detained, questioned and labeled as a threat.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Yeah, being drunk with a firearm is a big no-no in my book, and illegal for a CCW/CHL holder, even in Texas, but I don't think it would get your whole collection confiscated.

Except for the suicide attempt and driving drunk with a firearm, I didn't see much else that would warrant this...

Mercury can be used for lots of stuff besides switches for bomb detonators, I didn't see any mention of actual explosives, and the gernades were empty (like anyone could run down to the Army Surplus store and buy). And last I heard, books about explosives are not illegal, otherwise a good many engineering colleges would be in violation, for starters.

Bomb-making materials can be very subjective - for example, reloaders often keep smokeless powder onhand for reloading their cartridges, or black powder for muzleloaders. Usually not illegal, especially in small quantities (less than 5 lbs). Can it be used to make a bomb? Sure - but so can the gasoline in your car!!!

They also didn't say whether the Uzi was full auto or semiauto - Big difference in most places.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 10-09-06 at 09:49 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Well, there's that whole thing about "I'll kill you last" that is a bit worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Well, there's that whole thing about "I'll kill you last" that is a bit worrying.
    The guy was drunk - Drunks say a lot of stuff like that. the trick is to know when it's a joke or empty threat, and when they mean it - And that can change from one minute to the next. I know, I've been around a few.

(\__/)

**shrugs**

There is a reason the local LE did not want him to have those guns back. There is probably some history with this individual that we are not privy to, but if the cops don't think he should have guns, then there is probably some really good reasons he shouldn't.

There's always more to the story.

Probably so.

(\__/)

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    The guy was drunk - Drunks say a lot of stuff like that. the trick is to know when it's a joke or empty threat, and when they mean it - And that can change from one minute to the next. I know, I've been around a few.
    If you get so drunk that you say stupid shit like that then you have no business owning all that stuff.
    If you look at the whole story...........attempted sucide, drinking problem, "Ill kill you last" comment, in addition to what he owned.......it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see it was a time bomb
    The #1 rule for firearms: Treat them as if there loaded
    #2 If your a fucking dumbass dont buy them
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    I thought if you were baker acted you cant have a weapon of any kind anymore... at least here..
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Quote Originally Posted by wcso234 View Post
    If you get so drunk that you say stupid shit like that then you have no business owning all that stuff.
    If you look at the whole story...........attempted sucide, drinking problem, "Ill kill you last" comment, in addition to what he owned.......it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see it was a time bomb
    The #1 rule for firearms: Treat them as if there loaded
    #2 If your a fucking dumbass dont buy them
    I agree (I was once shot at decades ago by a drunk who didn't make a threat at all, he was just cussing me - He missed by about 5 feet - and I've been threatened by a drunk on multiple occasions when he obviously had no means to carry it out - When he sobered up he was fine & never even remembered the threats), but unfortunately is being a drunk suicidal dumbass enough to legally do anything about it except for the 72-hour visit to the loony bin, and some sort of misdmeanor threat charge???

I honestly don't know, so that's a question... It's enough to revoke a CHL, but I don't know about confiscating the guns.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 10-10-06 at 07:35 PM.

(\__/)

Thread Information