Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul

Teen Plays 'Space Invaders' Using Only Brain Waves

I for one want to be the first to welcome our new Android overlords.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,220318,00.html

The days of attacking aliens with a joystick could soon be over, thanks to a breakthrough technique where a teenager played "Space Invaders" using only signals from his brain.

With a technique that takes data from the surface of the brain, a 14-year-old boy from St. Louis was able to play the two-dimensional Atari game without so much as lifting a finger.

In "Space Invaders," a popular video game from the 1970s, players control a movable laser cannon in attempts to shoot rows of aliens that move back and forth across the screen.

The objective is to kill the aliens before they have a chance to get to the bottom of the screen. Once they land, the game ends.

The aliens can also shoot at the cannon, so the player has to try to evade the shots.

The boy, who already had had neural-sensor grids implanted to monitor his brain for epilepsy, was connected to a computer program that linked the video game to the grids.

He was then asked to move his hands, talk and imagine things. The researchers correlated these movements to the different signals fired by his brain.

They then asked the boy to play "Space Invaders" by moving his hand and tongue and then to imagine those movements without actually performing them.

"He cleared out the whole Level One, basically on brain control," said Eric Leuthardt, a researcher at the School of Medicine at Washington University in St. Louis. "He learned almost instantaneously. We then gave him a more challenging version in two dimensions, and he mastered two levels there playing only with his imagination."

A couple of years back, Leuthardt and colleagues performed this research on four adults. But they wanted to explore possible differences between teenagers and adults.

Although it's too early to tell from testing just one teenager, Leuthardt thinks that teens may win this game.

"We observed much quicker reaction times in the boy, and he had a higher level of detail of control for instance, he wasn't moving just left and right, but just a little bit left, a little bit right," Leuthardt said.

kay88 is offline Sergeant
    Do they like coming up with ways to make kids lazier?
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kay88 View Post
    Do they like coming up with ways to make kids lazier?
    Do you honestly think that the entire intended sweep of the fruition of this research is merely to give teens the ability to jedi mindtrick their video games?

In case you've been in a cave your whole life, there are scores of people in this world whose brains are effectively no longer hardwired with their bodies, or are otherwise neurologically impaired. The subsequent technology and sheer scientific momentum of this breakthrough could have pretty long lasting positive effects on how we can better help people whose minds are basically all they have left.

I, for one, commend these guys for the results. It's just freaking cool!
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I imagine it's just a matter of time before computer games are played like the people in The Matrix. Personally, I can't wait.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    ...there are scores of people in this world whose brains are effectively no longer hardwired with their bodies, or are otherwise neurologically impaired. The subsequent technology and sheer scientific momentum of this breakthrough could have pretty long lasting positive effects on how we can better help people whose minds are basically all they have left.

I, for one, commend these guys for the results. It's just freaking cool!
    Prof Stephen Hawking is a prime example of this. I can imagine being trapped in a body that no longer works, and I sincerely hope that I never have to experience it. Bedrest was close enough for me.

Massively cool.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information