Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Chris Rock's mother says Cracker Barrel racist & she's suing.

Enter Al Sharpton, one of the most racist bigots that ever stomped the Earth's crust. But I can't help laughing, the place is CRACKER Barrel!!!

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?se...ent&id=4672573

Chris Rock's Mother Claims Racial Discrimination At Cracker Barrel Restaurant

CHARLESTON, SC, October 18, 2006 - Rose Rock, the mother of comedian Chris Rock, claims she was racially discriminated against when she was seated but ignored for a half hour at a Cracker Barrel restaurant along the South Carolina coast.
    Rock said Tuesday she planned to sue the Lebanon, Tenn.-based company. A Cracker Barrel spokeswoman said the restaurant chain was investigating and taking the complaint "very seriously." Cracker Barrel has in the past faced numerous lawsuits and a federal inquiry over complaints of refusing to serve black customers, discriminating against minority workers and firing gay employees. The company has taken steps to rebuild its folksy image and reach out to minorities.
    Rock, who is from Georgetown, said she and her 21-year-old daughter were the only blacks at the chain's Murrells Inlet restaurant in April. She said when she asked the manager about the delay she was told they could have a free meal.
    //

"He never called over the waitresses and asked, `Why did these people sit here for a half hour without service?"' she said. "The only thing he said was we could have a free meal and neither of us wanted to eat." [Then why were they there????]

Cracker Barrel spokeswoman Julie Davis said the company doesn't "tolerate any form of discrimination."
    "It has always been a violation of our policies and procedures and it is neither condoned nor allowed," she said. "We do not allow the type of behavior you are describing," Davis said.
    Rock said she contacted the South Carolina Human Affairs Commission and was told her complaint would be handled, but "nothing ever happened."
    The head of the commission, Jesse Washington, said Tuesday that after initial discussions, the complaint was finalized Aug. 7 and his agency also was investigating. He would not comment on the complaint.
    "We get thousands of charges coming through here in the course of a year," he said. "It's not out of line - the time frame on this. It is being investigated and we will be in touch with her when we have a report."
    The Rev. Al Sharpton will join Rock on Wednesday in South Carolina to announce that Sharpton's Action Network will finance the planned lawsuit.
    "I'm getting reports from all over the country about Cracker Barrel," Sharpton said from New York on Tuesday. He also said state officials are slow to act on such complaints.
    "When people are talking about there is no more discrimination, a lot of it is because they are not following this stuff up," Sharpton said.
    Cracker Barrel, established in 1969, operates 547 restaurants in 41 states, according to the company's Web site. Georgetown is about 60 miles northeast of Charleston.

Personal note: As I type this, the "2006 Black Movie Awards" is airing on TNT, the Black Entertainment Television channel is doing its thing, and JET magazine is on racks all over the country, just to name a few. But of course, those aren't racist, but if there was the "White Movie Awards", White Entertainment Television, or Ivory magazine, people would be screaming "RACISM" from every streetcorner. We currently have an author claiming that my store is prejudice against her because her book didn't sell while she was in town. The fact that she spoke at a predominantly black school (telling the kids to "shut up" and yelling at them for talking) and managed to upset the administration of that school to the point where they have had to turn over all of her emails and a video tape of her performance to the district head and school board has no bearing on anything.

I'm just sick to death of the race card. Everyone's got a fair shot in my eyes, I don't care if they're purple, it's behavior that I judge.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    You know, I'm a fan of Chris Rock. He never strikes me as the type of guy who goes around playing the race card, and since she's the woman who raised him, I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I do remember hearing about a Cracker Barrell somewhere also giving poor service to blacks repeatedly, so the story has some merit.

I agree that many programs and organisations that were started to help fight intolerance against blacks are now outdated and racist themselves- but the fact is racism still exists, and to dismiss it at every turn is dangerous.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Rhino, I'm not dismissing it, far from it. However, it's also SOP anymore for someone to cry racism when, in fact, there wasn't any. Someone gets bad service? Racism! Passed over for a promotion? Racism! Thing is, here at least, the opposite is likely true. Thanks to certain practices, you have to be caught on tape doing something VERY bad before you even get written up - unless you're not a minority. Rumors are enough to get you fired if you're prone to sunburn.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I hope this goes to court and gets a lot of publicity, just so that we can watch judges, lawyers, and journalists try to talk about "Cracker Barrel being sued for racism" with a straight face. Maybe Chris Rock can make it part of his comedy act!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Cracker Barrel discriminated against me too - Their service sucks - And I'm a Cracker!!!

Thank God she didn't go to Denney's

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I've never been a fan of Chris Rock primarily for that reason, I feel as though he goes too deep into racist jokes in some of his gigs. When I listen to a comedian, the last thing I want to hear are racist comments whether it's aimed at whites, blacks, asians, etc...

Sadly, I honestly don't think racism will ever die. But it sure as hell won't get any better with people still making racist comments whether it's intended to be funny or not. I just don't find any of it funny.

As far as the whole Cracker Barrel story goes, well, we'll see how it plays out. I love the restaurant and have never had any problems there. I'm not going to assume anything about what happened, so hopefully we'll stay updated with the results.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell View Post
    Sadly, I honestly don't think racism will ever die.
    Didn't you get the memo? http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/...ead.php?t=9373

Racism will die in 1000 years, after everyone is coffee-colored. That is, if we don't mess up and end up as globally warmed radioactive human-cockroach mutants enslaved by the Artificial Intelligence Bein' Evil, Formerly Known as Google first.

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I should be offended by the term Cracker Barrel as a white guy! Im suing too!!
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

kay88 is offline Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Rhino, I'm not dismissing it, far from it. However, it's also SOP anymore for someone to cry racism when, in fact, there wasn't any. Someone gets bad service? Racism! Passed over for a promotion? Racism! Thing is, here at least, the opposite is likely true. Thanks to certain practices, you have to be caught on tape doing something VERY bad before you even get written up - unless you're not a minority. Rumors are enough to get you fired if you're prone to sunburn.
    The Racism card is played a lot. But what about overall discrimination. I think people are too quick to call that out too. Like if a woman is passed over, she says it's because she's a woman. I even know of a place here in my town (Nicollet) where the manager discriminates against males... People just want someone to blame.

I don't mean to drone on and on, so I'll just say this one last thing. I really believe that everyone can be capable of great things, no matter what their race, ethnicity, or gender. Some people don't realize this potential because they think they do not have it because of their race, ethnicity, or gender. I guess I've always been a dreamer, but I still have a hope that someday that can change.
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I've never been a fan of Chris Rock primarily for that reason, I feel as though he goes too deep into racist jokes in some of his gigs. When I listen to a comedian, the last thing I want to hear are racist comments whether it's aimed at whites, blacks, asians, etc...

Sadly, I honestly don't think racism will ever die. But it sure as hell won't get any better with people still making racist comments whether it's intended to be funny or not. I just don't find any of it funny.
    I think the best way to confront and defeat racism is to stare it in the eye and make fun of it. To just ignore it and hope it will go away will give it force beyond endurance. However laughing at ethnic humor breaks down walls, I think.

The first time I said the "N" word to a black man was in the context of a joke- and that man was my friend. We got a good laugh about it (I forget what the joke was now, unfortunately). But I got wrapped up in the joke and simply forgot who I was saying the joke to- but he laughed so it was all good. After that we cracked ethnic jokes on each other all the time.

But my overall point was Cracker Barrell has been accused of discrimination in the past. I'm not saying they are guilty- but we shouldn't dismiss Mama Rock's claims, either. Let them have their day and court and hopefully the truth will come out (as long as idiots like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson keep their bigoted noses out of it).
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I'm black below the waist, and I've always had great service at Cracker Barrel.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

As far as the whole Cracker Barrel story goes, well, we'll see how it plays out. I love the restaurant and have never had any problems there. I'm not going to assume anything about what happened, so hopefully we'll stay updated with the results.
    I'm a firm believer in the difference between being "racial" while joking, and being "racist". The very definition of racism is the belief that certain races are inferior to one or another. Calling my Mexican friend a beaner when he makes fun of me for ordering Chinese is a far cry from lynching someone because of their skin color. Laughing at a good racial joke is a far cry from owning slaves because you think that black people are inferior.

If you honestly think that racism is perptuated by people laughing at the ridiculous stereotypes that people (most often minorities themselves) point out in order to get a laugh...is a little far-fetched. Racism is evil...racial humor is theraputic.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

kay88 is offline Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    I'm a firm believer in the difference between being "racial" while joking, and being "racist". The very definition of racism is the belief that certain races are inferior to one or another. Calling my Mexican friend a beaner when he makes fun of me for ordering Chinese is a far cry from lynching someone because of their skin color. Laughing at a good racial joke is a far cry from owning slaves because you think that black people are inferior.

If you honestly think that racism is perptuated by people laughing at the ridiculous stereotypes that people (most often minorities themselves) point out in order to get a laugh...is a little far-fetched. Racism is evil...racial humor is theraputic.

I completely agree. But you gotta know your audience. Some people may take offense to seemingly ridiculous stereotypes. But there is a big difference between really believing stereotypes and being prejudice and joking around with friends. Side note: I am a fan of Chris Rock too.
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    (as long as idiots like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson keep their bigoted noses out of it).
    Al Sharpton is planning on getting his "Action Network" to finance the lawsuit. Check the last little bit of the article.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Man, I have been told so many times that I was arresting somebody cause they were black. Normally its a crackhead or dealer. My response is usually "No sir, Crack and the Laws of Kentucky dont care about what color you are."

Seriously though I am tired too of the race issue. With agitators like Sharpton and sometimes Jessie Jackson, they are sure to keep the wrathful fires burning. To me, if the race issue was removed, they would find that majority of their bluster would fade away.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Oh believe me, I will laugh at a good racist joke just like the rest of them no matter who it's aimed at. I used to be addicted to Chappelle's Show before it went off the air. That show had some sort of race joke in almost every single skit and it was all hilarious. I'm a white male and I used to crack up at their portrayel of the white man (nerdy, speaks as proper as they come, tight clothes, uptight and nervous, etc...). I think it's just the fact that Chris Rock comes on stage and makes fun of white people the entire time that always got me to turn it off. Dave Chappelle on the other hand makes fun of every race, totally bringing light to the entire racism problem. It was comedic genious.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this case. If they were surely ignored then shame on the Cracker Barrel, if not then shame on the woman for giving false allegations or being over sensitive.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I'm black below the waist, and I've always had great service at Cracker Barrel.
    I'm afraid to ask what that means

(\__/)

BabyGirl is offline Rookie
    Why the hell is it called Cracker Barrel? Is it because they serve saltine crackers there, or because they're making fun of white people???? Just a thought.

It's a chain theme restaurant decorated like a fake ol-timey country store, which used to sell saltine crackers that came in barrels. Now the barrels are loaded with other crap that they want to sell you in their gift shop, which you have to stand in forever waiting on a table sometimes.

In the interest of international diversity, I go to IHOP... They usually have no lines, and their name doesn't insult my race.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 10-21-06 at 12:45 AM.

(\__/)

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    I'm going to Cracker Barrel....
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information