Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Music store owner changes his name to Andy Griffith and runs for Sheriff

PLATTEVILLE, Wis. (AP) A local music store co-owner is putting a touch of Mayberry in the race for sheriff in western Wisconsin's Grant County.

The former William Fenrick changed his name earlier this year to Andy Griffith the name of the actor who portrayed the fictional Sheriff Andy Taylor of Mayberry on TV's "The Andy Griffith Show" in the 1960s.

He said his goal was to focus attention on a sheriff's race that otherwise gets little.

"Nobody knows who's running or what the issues are, if there are any issues, or how the people differ," Griffith said.

He's running as an independent in the Nov. 7 election against incumbent Sheriff Keith Govier, a Republican who has held the job for 10 years, and Democrat Doug Vesperman, who has worked in the sheriff's department 16 years.

Griffith, 42, said, when contacted Tuesday night, he has worked in the past in private security and knows how to set priorities and make the best use of a limited budget and manpower.

Part of his motivation, he said, came when drug officers acting on an anonymous tip launched a drug raid in Dodgeville last May but went to the wrong address, then picked up some young people in the apartment next door for having marijuana.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I live in the middle of Mayberry. Not kidding. There are locals that are nationally known for being look alikes and doing Mayberry Festivals. Scary shit.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    I just hope it doesn't give NC any bad press. I love and grew up watching Andy Griffith re runs. However, Crime in NC isn't Otis, the lovable drunk, or the occasional "Who stole aunt bea's rubarb pie" caper.

We need more people like Sheriff Hege. I know he screwed up some personell issues, but he had his deputies squared away.

A little off topic, but I hope this guy's serious and not just trying to make a statement.

Thread Information