Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

4 US Army soldiers court martialed for rape and murder of a 14 yr old and her family

EVANSVILLE, Ind. - Four soldiers from the U.S. Army's 101st Airborne Division will be court-martialed for the alleged rape of an Iraqi girl and the murder of her family, and two will face the death penalty, the military ordered Wednesday.

The charges against the Fort Campbell soldiers stem from rape and murder of 14-year-old Abeer Qassim al-Janabi in her family's home in Mahmoudiya, about 20 miles south of Baghdad a case that sparked international outrage and added more fuel to claims of abuse by U.S. forces in Iraq.

The charges came as the military announced that a total of eight soldiers would be court-martialied, with the four others to be tried in a separate court martial on charges of murdering Iraqi prisoners in northern Iraq's northern Salahuddin province during a raid on a village.

In the rape and murder case, military authorities said they would seek the death penalty against Sgt. Paul E. Cortez and Pfc. Jesse V. Spielman.

Spc. James P. Barker and Pfc. Bryan L. Howard are also accused in the rape and murders but will not face the death penalty, the military said in a statement.

Former Pvt. Steven Green, who was discharged for a personality disorder and arrested in North Carolina, will be tried in federal court in Kentucky. Green has pleaded not guilty to one count of rape and four counts of murder.

Military prosecutors have said the five all from the division's 502nd Infantry Regiment planned the attack from a checkpoint near the family's home, changed their clothing to hide their identities and set the girl's body on fire to destroy evidence.

In the other case, Pfc. Corey R. Clagett, Spc. William B. Hunsaker, Staff Sgt. Raymond L. Girouard and Spc. Juston R. Graber are accused of murdering three Iraqi men taken from a house May 9 on a marshy island outside Samarra, about 60 miles north of Baghdad.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I wonder what their evidence is.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Hopefully it isn't true. Only time will tell I guess...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Unless it's changed since I got out, the military doesn't like to go to courts martial unless they have a pretty solid case. The acquittal rate is a lot lower than in civilian courts because of that.

We have a lot of troops there, the percentages are that a few are going to be bad apples.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I was listening to Michael Savage earlier. The guy's a raving lunatic, but he was talking about this story. I only heard part of the show but he was saying the "evidence" in this case was coming from a liberal reporter and "the enemy". I don't know if by "the enemy" he meant Iraqi insurgents or muslims or what.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Damn that was my unit I was in...glad I got out before this happened. Must have happened on their second go round, cause I didnt hear a thing when I was with them on the first time.

No excuses, no reasons...if this is true I am ashamed of them and the fact that we all share the same unit history. They deserve what the courts decide.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

Thread Information