Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

Another stupid law for cops to put up with.

New ordinance requires gun owners to report stolen weapons
    BY KERRY CAVANAUGH, Staff Writer

Article Last Updated:10/18/2006 04:11:58 PM PDT
    The Los Angeles City Council unanimously approved a new ordinance today that would require gun owners whose weapon is lost or stolen to report it to police within 48 hours.

The law is designed to crack down on "straw buyers" who purchase weapons for criminals, juveniles and others unable or unwilling to buy their own guns.

Too often, police track guns used in a crime back to individuals who say they lost their gun or had it stolen, said Councilman Jack Weiss, who proposed the law.

"At that point, the police don't have an investigative or legal tool as a recourse," he said. "This will give police the tool to pursue those people who are the source of so much of the violence in our city."

The ordinance would require city residents to report the loss or theft of a gun within 48 hours of learning the gun is missing. Failure to do so would be a misdemeanor.

The rule would reach back five years and require anyone who lost or had their gun stolen within that time to report the loss to the Los Angeles Police Department within 60 days.

Sam Paredes, executive director of Northern California-based Gun Owners of California, called the ordinance "ridiculous" and said it will likely be challenged in court.

"There are so many occasions when people do not or could not know that they had a weapon lost or stolen," Paredes said. "The law in and of itself discourages people from reporting firearms that are stolen. It's a ridiculous idea and will face legal challenges."

The Los Angeles ordinance is modeled after similar laws in San Francisco and Oakland.

The state legislature had also considered a law that would make it a crime for failing to report a missing gun within five days after realizing it's gone. However, the draft was made less stringent during negotiations, and the gun control community ultimately pulled its support.

Suzanne Verge with the Million Mom March Los Angeles chapter said she hopes Los Angeles' law will spur neighboring cities to enact similar ordinances.

"If we can make strong bills in each city," she said, "it's easier to pass a statewide law."

City News Service contributed to this report.

kerry.cavanaugh@dailynews.com

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_4511712
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Like most other gun laws, I'm sure it will go unenforced.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    I dont see the problem with this, surely its common sense and safer to report a gun lost or stolen rather than not bother and have a supposed legal weapon in criminal hands?

Also, I would imagine this law could be used like most others, when WE feel its justified and the delay was not honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post

Like most other gun laws, I'm sure it will go unenforced.

Actually, this ordinance will be harshly enforced. It's another way to screw with legal gun owners and that is the main goal of the groups getting these type laws passed.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Quote Originally Posted by Garda View Post
    I dont see the problem with this, surely its common sense and safer to report a gun lost or stolen rather than not bother and have a supposed legal weapon in criminal hands?

Also, I would imagine this law could be used like most others, when WE feel its justified and the delay was not honest.
    Suppose you had a second car in a garage, your hobby, an old Landie.
    Some one breaks in steals it on Monday; you do most of your tinkering on the weekends.
    Bad accident on Wednesday; your the criminal?

There was a case where the kids buddy stole a weapon while visiting.
    Dads at fault?

between you

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    Accepted 1st but this is a weapon not a vehicle and requires far more security and precautions.

Like I said, wheres there are genuine reasons for not reporting the crime then fine, such as being on holidays or whatever but what about situations where you believe the reporting is in order to conceal a crime commited by him or with his knowledge? I have investigated dozens of supposed 'stolen vehicles' where the owner really smashed into a tree while drunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Quote Originally Posted by Garda View Post
    Accepted 1st but this is a weapon not a vehicle and requires far more security and precautions.

Like I said, wheres there are genuine reasons for not reporting the crime then fine, such as being on holidays or whatever but what about situations where you believe the reporting is in order to conceal a crime commited by him or with his knowledge? I have investigated dozens of supposed 'stolen vehicles' where the owner really smashed into a tree while drunk.
    I agree; it should be up to the cops, not the idiots.

between you

Thread Information