Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you think a sex education class for Kindergarten students is appropriate?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure, why not

6 19.35%
  • Absoluetely not

25 80.65%
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Cleveland city schools will begin sex education classes for Kindergarten students

CLEVELAND - City schools will expand sex education curriculum to include age-appropriate lessons that begin as early as kindergarten, officials said.

The initiative comes as Cleveland's teen birth rates are high but dropping - about 40 of every 1,000 girls ages 15-19 become pregnant every year, according to state data - and rates of some sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV, are rising.

Cases of chlamydia, the most common STD, rose 30 percent over the past five years while HIV, rarely diagnosed in adolescents, turned up in 19 Cuyahoga County teens.

"One-third of all the HIV/AIDS cases in Ohio are in Cleveland," said Lita Townsend, responsible sexual behavior coordinator for the district. "Really, the best weapon we have right now is education."

Cleveland schools already offer sex education to many of their middle- and high-school students. The schools also are required to teach HIV prevention.

The new classes, which begin soon, will address self-esteem and peer pressure as well as biology. Children in grades K-3 will learn about how viruses work and appropriate and inappropriate touching. Grades 4-6 will start learning about menstruation and other aspects of reproductive health.

In grades 7-12, the discussion shifts to interpersonal relationships, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, teen pregnancy and respect for sexual orientation.

Abortion will be explained and defined but not promoted, said Townsend, adding that she's unaware of other programs in the state that target every grade level.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    It is not the kids. It is the parents and the culture. Just because the world is a mess does not mean we need to encourage it.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    Sex ed has nothing to do with teen pregnancy. The teens knew what they were doing, what the risk was and what contraception existed. They either choose to ignore elements or perhaps are simple part of the 50% which are unplanned.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    My goodness. The kids can't even be kids anymore. But of course the parents won't ever talk to their kids about it so when the kids end of pregnant or with an STD they will blame the school system.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    The new classes, which begin soon, will address self-esteem and peer pressure as well as biology. Children in grades K-3 will learn about how viruses work and appropriate and inappropriate touching.
    This sounds like a good idea--it's age-appropriate, so it's not like they're teaching kindergarteners how to use condoms. Knowing the difference between appropriate and inappropriate touching could save some kids from child molesters. And germ theory should be taught as early as possible--it's not just about STDS, but can also help kids protect themselves from diseases like influenza and the common cold (not to mention the avian flu pandemic should it arrive), as well as give them a head start in science education (which is one of the weakest areas of US education).

The age-appropriate sex ed for older kids makes sense too. Sure, some kids will know it already from their parents, TV, the internet, etc., but others won't, and this kind of knowledge would be critical in preventing helping those less knowledgeable kids avoid pregnancy, STDs, rape, etc. Learning about biology isn't going to cause kids who would otherwise be chaste to go out and have sex, just as learning about physics isn't going to cause otherwise sensible kids to jump off buildings.
    Last edited by Jenna; 10-22-06 at 06:21 PM.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Learning about biology isn't going to cause kids who would otherwise be chaste to go out and have sex, just as learning about physics isn't going to cause otherwise sensible kids to jump off buildings.
    That's actually not a fair comparison, jumping off buildings is no fun.
    Last edited by cwtlady; 10-22-06 at 08:12 PM.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    This sounds like a good idea--it's age-appropriate, so it's not like they're teaching kindergarteners how to use condoms. Knowing the difference between appropriate and inappropriate touching could save some kids from child molesters. And germ theory should be taught as early as possible--it's not just about STDS, but can also help kids protect themselves from diseases like influenza and the common cold (not to mention the avian flu pandemic should it arrive), as well as give them a head start in science education (which is one of the weakest areas of US education).
    Do you have children, Jenna? Teaching appropriate versus inappropriate touching including when and how to wash your hands is fine. Anything else (HIV/AIDS, STDS, etc.) is simply too much for little ones at that age to comprehend. Besides, how can you teach about HIV/AIDS, STDS without bringing sex into it? It's impossible. Did anyone say condoms? Gee, let children be children and parents be parents.

Sex is everywhere today - in magazines and newspapers, on television and radio. Children will learn about sex whether you want them to or not. Children will also learn about sex from each other Ė information that can be and often is inaccurate. As a parent, it is our responsibility to make sure our children have the correct information. That is why I firmly believe that sex education should start in the home. Unfortunately, many parents feel uncomfortable or unsure about talking about sex with their children. Why is this? Sex is a natural thing. If our children grow up knowing it is okay to discuss sex and their feelings, then they are much more likely to come to us for support regarding other issues as well. Still, there are parents who donít know and/or donít care. Hence, the need for sex education in schools, but not at a kindergarten level. What are they thinking?

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by Garda View Post
    Sex ed has nothing to do with teen pregnancy. The teens knew what they were doing, what the risk was and what contraception existed. They either choose to ignore elements or perhaps are simple part of the 50% which are unplanned.
    I am with you on this.. its not about sex and knowledge, many are just looking for comfort and attention which isnt happening at home...

I had sex ed in 4th grade.. didnt make a shit difference...

its about what happens at home
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    I don't see what the big deal is, we had sex ed in grade 1, grade 4, grade 9 and I think in grade 11. But I agree that you have to have open and honest communication at home. Lets look at out culture every day kids see death and destruction on TV, but oh my god janet jacksons booby falls and it's the worst thing ever. People need to get their prioroties straight. I remember the stuff were taught when we were young was, the proper names of our genitals and good and bad touching, I think thats fine for youngsters, as we got older the curricilum advanced, std's and such were covered in junior and senior high.

stupid
    Last edited by HardNoseBull; 10-23-06 at 03:00 PM.
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

Roses is offline Member
    Good, I'm glad to hear that the new classes will begin soon.
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

Thread Information