Welcome to the APBWeb.
    nitestokker is offline Banned

Smokers Beware of The Nicotine Police!

These same liberal nazis fight for the right to burn flags in public as "a freedom of expression." Hmmmm, aren't there just as many (if not more) noxious chemicals in a burning flag?!?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WHERE THERE'S SMOKE, THERE'S IRE
    See a smoker in Omaha? Dial 9-1-1
    Nebraska city imposes toughest enforcement policy in nation

Posted: October 22, 2006
    8:12 p.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Actor Sean Penn could face trouble next time he's in Omaha

Omaha's tough new anti-smoking ordinance banning the practice in nearly all public places comes with an even tougher enforcement policy.

The Nebraska city's elected leaders and police department are urging residents who see violations to call the 9-1-1 emergency system for an immediate response.

Omaha banned smoking in public Oct. 2. Penalties are $100 for the first offense, $200 for the second and $500 for the third and subsequent infractions.

Teresa Negron, sergeant in charge of public information for the police, explained the department encourages observers of infractions to pick up the phone to report the infraction – just like they would for any other crime they observe being committed.

In the three weeks since the new smoking ban took effect, people have been observing the law, according to the city prosecutor.

The new smoking ban applies to bars that serve food and those that don't have keno licenses. Some bars have applied for keno licenses to keep their smokers happy, and a few decided to give up food instead of smoking.

The Mayor's Hot Line hasn't had any complaint calls, the 9-1-1 dispatch director said call volume related to smoking complaints has been "insignificant," and city prosecutor Marty Conboy said he hasn't had any citations cross his desk.

"We're very grateful people in the city have taken it seriously," Conboy told a local television station. "So far, we have not seen any reports or citations. And as near as I can tell, there have not been any arrests."

The local emergency coordinator and Omaha police don't agree over how residents should report illegal smoking after the city's smoking ban.

Douglas County Emergency director Mark Conrey said people should not call 9-1-1 every time they see someone light up in a restricted area. He said the very idea threatens Douglas County's emergency system.

But, even after Conrey's concerns, Omaha police insisted residents should use 9-1-1 to report smoking law violators.

The ban affects 97 percent of all Omaha businesses immediately and provides a five-year moratorium on enforcement across the board.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you'd like to sound off on this issue, please take part in the WorldNetDaily poll.
    Special offers:

Tired of freedom-snatchers? Get Joseph Farah's "Taking America Back" and fight back

Bill O'Reilly is America's 'Culture Warrior'

What liberals really mean when they talk

Glenn Beck's 'Real America'

Previous stories:

Beijing to ban smoking ads, vending machines

Lighters banned on U.S. airliners

China's 350 million smokers

Labor union: Smoking a disability

Taxpayers propping up Big Tobacco

NYC busts shop owner for ashtray

Global tobacco treaty approved
    Copyright 1997-2006
    All Rights Reserved. WorldNetDaily.com Inc.

Today's WND Highlights

News

U.S. immigrants pose TB threat
    Virginia Muslims supporting Democrats
    New use for schoolbooks: Stopping bullets
    Christian landscaper refuses to work for 'gays'
    U.S. fears inside job by airport workers
    'Pro-marriage' sign leads to firing
    White House says Condi 'showing due deference'
    Border Patrol agents sentenced to prison
    Discriminate against tattoos, piercings at your own risk
    See a smoker in Omaha? Dial 9-1-1

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Seems pretty extreme, however, I'm for the new smoking laws. I've never smoked a cigarette in my life and I sure as hell don't want to be breathing in other people's smoke either. Some people are down right rude about it...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

nitestokker is offline Banned

Angry

I'm a part-time smoker, but I do it in private and not around others. My biggest problem with this is that you cannot legislate morality. Either leave the people alone to make their own decisions about these things, or else let's just outlaw everything.

I am deeply offended by some punk thumping "Cop Killa" at full volume at the stop light. Let's outlaw that.

Fat girls who wear spandex offend me. Let's outlaw that.

That freakin' "Head-On" commercial makes me wanna put a gun barrel in my mouth. Where are the politicians there?

Radio ads that repeat the "800" number FIVE DAMN TIMES! Where's their $500 fine?!

Hot girls who dress like hookers and then get mad when guys stare. Excuse me?

Guys at bars or cafes with a hot chick who get angry when the other guys stare at her. Shouldn't you be proud, douchebag?

Most perfume in enclosed spaces makes me have an allergic reaction. Same as smokers? What's the difference?

People with meth mouth and dog breath who feel the need to tell their story from about two inches away. Enough to make you vomit. That's pretty rude, isn't it?

I could go on, but you get the picture. I am sick and tired of a few holier-than-thou politicians telling we the people how we need to live when they themselves are writing these laws as they are jerking off a young boy and smoking a crack pipe. It's bullshit.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    "The Nebraska city's elected leaders and police department are urging residents who see violations to call the 9-1-1 emergency system for an immediate response."

Bet the dispatchers just love them for that.

Hell things were pretty dull around there anyway; hardy any calls coming in and such a low percentage of them crank or idiot calls anyway.

Thanks for allowing us to provide an important and valuable service.

No Miss I'm sorry we don't have a unit available to respond to your crazy ex breaking down your front door while threatening to kill you and your childen, they are all engaged in important anti smoking calls; maybe if you call the mayors office ------- I know it's 3 AM you'll just have to wait untill normal business hours ---- what ----- Oh, no one is needed now, thank you sir; always glad to be of help, have a nice day.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by nitestokker View Post
    [B]
    The Nebraska city's elected leaders and police department are urging residents who see violations to call the 9-1-1 emergency system for an immediate response.

But, even after Conrey's concerns, Omaha police insisted residents should use 9-1-1 to report smoking law violators.
    I completely agree with banning smoking in public places for MANY reasons. I also agree with levying heavy fines against those that do not comply.

What I don't agree with is the ridiculous notion that citizens should dial 911 to report it. That is insane for more reasons than I can name.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    My partner at work smokes, but he never lights up in the car or in a room with other people.

He is like most smokers I know prettty considerate about where they smoke.

Suggetsing people dial 911 is irresponsible beyond belief.

Obviously a desk jockey who came up with that one.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I couldn't care less what people put in their mouths as long as it doesn't affect me, and smoke does. I love anti-smoking laws.

That being said, they are civil violations in Oregon. Police aren't involved in enforcement and off the top of my head, I can't tell you who is. We would only be called if there was a problem between the smoker and the mgr if the smoker refused to put it out or leave.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Thread Information