Welcome to the APBWeb.
    nitestokker is offline Banned

Thumbs down A Very Bad Idea!

Believe it or not, this type of idiocy is becoming a trend. Just last week this very idea was proposed to our SWAT team by the FREAKIN' PRINCIPAL of the High School! He actually got upset and defensive when every one of the several LEO's in the room told him it was a lawsuit waiting to happen. This proves my point! (BTW, the school Superintendent was also there and wanted us to do this very exercise in the ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS, both of them!)

School Safety Drill Upsets Some Parents
    Published Saturday October 28, 2006 by The Associated Press
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

WYOMING, Mich. (AP) - A school safety drill that included police officers in riot gear with weapons has caused concern among some parents who say it was too realistic and frightened some students.

Police in the western Michigan community of Wyoming entered two classrooms at Lee Middle and High School on Thursday and announced there was a threat to the school, The Grand Rapids Press reported.

Students, who were unaware police were conducting a drill, were taken from the classroom into the halls, patted down by officers and asked what they had in their pockets, the newspaper said.

"Some of these kids were so scared, they just about wet their pants," said Marge Bradshaw, a parent with four children in Godfrey-Lee Schools. "I think it's pure wrong that the students and parents were not informed of this."

Officers wore protective gear, including vests and helmets, and carried rifles that were unloaded and marked with colored tape to indicate they were not live weapons, the newspaper said.

Diana Silva, a parent of an eighth-grade student, said the drill went too far.

"My child was with his face to the wall in the hallway of the high school," Silva said. "I certainly don't want anything like this happening to my child."

Principal David Britten said students weren't told ahead of time to make the drill as realistic as possible. Teachers were informed moments before it took place, he said.

"I think this is the best way to do it," Britten said. "We're not looking to scare anyone, but we want a sense of urgency."

But Wyoming Police Chief James Carmody said his officers were not aware students and parents were not told. He said his department will mandate that parents be notified ahead of time in the future.

"The purpose was to show how we will evacuate the classroom, not to assault the classroom," Carmody said.

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    maybe Im just too tired, but I can't figure out what this was supposed to accomplish... I could understand them practicing this kind of thing with willing participants after school hours, but what were the kids supposed to learn from this?
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

In my case, the principal thought it would be a good idea because we could actually see what the kids would do if they thought it was for real. It seemed as though he either wanted to use them as guinea pigs for his own pet experiment or else he just wanted to cause some excitement. Either way, he should be fired, beaten severely about the upper body by Hells Angels and deserted in the mountains somewhere. I find it utterly disgusting that he would want to expose our children to this sort of trauma. And what really amazed me was the fact that he was serious about it! He actually said "I think it would be a good training tool for all of us to see how they would react to such a thing". You believe that shit?

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I understand what he was trying to accomplish, but that was dumb. Knowing whether or not the kids are going to be able to respond the way we would need them to is important. Kind of like fire drills. Yeah, traumatic as hell, but I can understand where he was coming from. Now, in reality, this was dumb for all kinds of reasons. Scared kids do stupid things for one, two- eighth grade? In my area, good chance some of those kids would be holding or carrying. three-parents don't want their precious little angels that never do anything wrong exposed to the big bad poleese.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I think it would be good training to let the drug dogs wander the schools every so often, just to see how it thins the herd.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I think it would be good training to let the drug dogs wander the schools every so often, just to see how it thins the herd.
    Now THIS we do! It doesn't create chaos and it actually produces a lot of interesting items. We then quietly have the student removed from class by the teacher and he explains to us outside why he has a dead body and a pound of smack in his locker.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine

i dont have the words
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post

i dont have the words
    So just show us in gestures.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by nitestokker View Post
    So just show us in gestures.
    lol.. i would hate to be a parent who has to deal with my kid having nightmares on this one...
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped