Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO

Should Have Let Him Bleed Out

Man stabs self 20-30 times
    Alleged gangster knifed himself as cops closed in

November 4, 2006

BY STEFANO ESPOSITO Staff Reporter

A top Chicago gangster linked to a bloody gang war is near death after he stabbed himself 20 to 30 times just as police were about to arrest him this week, authorities said.

Cook County prosecutors said Friday that Lamell "Slim" Burns -- a reputed leader in the New Breed gang -- remains in critical condition at Stroger Hospital.

Also Friday, Cook County Judge Maura Slattery Boyle ordered Burns and another alleged leader in the New Breed, Melvin "Ben Ben" Martin, held without bail in connection with a planned hit of a rival gang member that police foiled Oct. 31 at a Humboldt Park intersection. The incident ended with officers shooting to death two of the would-be hit men.

Prosecutors say Martin and Burns orchestrated the planned hit, using cell phones to direct their underlings to the target, a member of the Traveling Vice Lords. Burns and Martin were arrested at separate locations a day after the shootings.

Martin was arrested without incident near his home in Riverside, prosecutors say. Martin, 30, appeared briefly in court Friday, and his attorneys described him as a father of two.

Police use stun gun

Prosecutors say police were trying to arrest Burns, 29, in the 1700 block of North Lockwood when he fled and ran into an empty first-floor apartment.
    "As [police] were attempting to place the offender in custody, he began stabbing himself with a knife," according to a Chicago Police arrest report. "A [stun gun] was deployed by [police] to prevent further injury or death and officers were able to gain control of the offender."

Investigators say the on-going gang war between the Traveling Vice Lords and the New Breed has claimed the lives of at least 19 gang members this year.

sesposito@suntimes.com
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

kay88 is offline Sergeant
    That's horrible. I mean this is the basic plot of West Side Story to the tenth degree. All the talk about a "planned hit" and that 19 gang members have been killed just makes you think about how little another's life is valued to them. Sad.
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by kay88 View Post
    That's horrible. I mean this is the basic plot of West Side Story to the tenth degree. All the talk about a "planned hit" and that 19 gang members have been killed just makes you think about how little another's life is valued to them. Sad.
    They are killing other gang bangers, as far as I'm concerned they were doing the City a favor. What if the police were there to give him an award and not arrest him?
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I vote that all the gang members get rounded up and stuffed into a small, locked space together. Give them a week to do what they want, then turn on the sprinkler system to wash everything down the drain. It'll probably take an industrial size garbage disposal unit to keep it from backing up. Vent the place through DHEC approved environmental charcoal-enhanced filters. Add some soap, repeat. Then reopen for the next batch.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I like the way Ducky thinks
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Shoulda just let him keep stabbing himself IMHO
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    20-30 times... ouch...
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I vote that all the gang members get rounded up and stuffed into a small, locked space together. Give them a week to do what they want, then turn on the sprinkler system to wash everything down the drain. It'll probably take an industrial size garbage disposal unit to keep it from backing up. Vent the place through DHEC approved environmental charcoal-enhanced filters. Add some soap, repeat. Then reopen for the next batch.
    Wow...you have really thought that idea out!!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by fscf3801 View Post
    Shoulda just let him keep stabbing himself IMHO
    I wonder if hes going to sue the cops for infringing on his civil liberties for Taseing him before he was done with his little demonstration of his right to express himself?

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Thread Information