Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Unhappy Officer Dwayne Freeto, Fort Worth, TX

Fort Worth Police Officer Killed In Crash
    http://www.nbc5i.com/news/10556031/detail.html
    (news video with police spokesman on web site)

POSTED: 9:24 am CST December 17, 2006
    UPDATED: 10:41 am CST December 17, 2006

FORT WORTH, Texas -- A Fort Worth police officer assisting a motorist was killed Sunday morning after a traffic accident on Interstate 35W.

The officer stopped to help a woman change a flat tire at about 4 a.m. in the southbound lanes of I-35W between Morningside and Rosedale. Investigators said when the officer returned to his vehicle just moments later another car slammed into the cruiser.

Both vehicles burst into flames on impact and the officer was trapped inside his car. After the fire was extinguished his vehicle was almost unrecognizable. He was pronounced dead on the scene.

The driver of the other vehicle was taken to Parkland Hospital's burn unit where police said he's in critical condition. The woman the officer was assisting was not injured and is now talking to investigators.

A spokesman for the department said investigators are trying to determine the cause of the accident. Police said the driver of the other car appears to have been traveling at a high rate of speed. [And Drunk???]

Officials said the officer killed is a rookie who is married with two children. His family has been notified. The officer's name will be released later Sunday.

============================== =======================

FW officer dies in collision on I-35
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....1a8fad08.html

09:53 AM CST on Sunday, December 17, 2006
    By MARISSA ALANIS / The Dallas Morning News

A Fort Worth police officer responding to a call about a stranded woman with a flat tire off I-35 early Sunday morning was killed when his squad car was rear-ended by another car.

Police received a call at 3:38 a.m. Sunday about the stranded woman in a BMW at Morningside Drive and I-35 south, said Fort Worth Police Lt. Dean Sullivan.

A good Samaritan in a gray Dodge pickup truck had also pulled over to help the woman.

The officer, who remains unidentified, was inside his squad car at 3:36 a.m. when the driver of a Lexus slammed into the back of his car.

The collision triggered a chain reaction as the squad car hit the back of the woman’s BMW, which then struck the pickup. The squad car and Lexus both caught fire.

“Speed is the predominant factor in this one,” Lt. Sullivan said.

Lt. Sullivan said the officer perished inside of his car when the collision pinned him in his front seat.

The driver of the Lexus was taken by helicopter ambulance to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas where he is in critical condition in the burn unit.

The good Samaritan, whose identity is unknown, tried to rescue the officer.

“He was the one who hurt himself trying to save the officer’s life,” Lt. Sullivan said. “He broke the glass with his hands, and got injuries to his hands.”

The good Samaritan was treated for his injuries and released at the scene. The stranded woman was not injured.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 12-17-06 at 10:28 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Rip
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    What a FUCKIN shame

phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Rip
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

hybrid is offline Corporal
    And this is exactly why i'm such a hardass on traffic and stupid drivers. I should show this to my admin. God bless his family.........

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    RIP brother and God bless the good samaritan who tried to rescue you!!
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Update: Officer Dwayne Freeto

The officer's name is now released.
    http://www.nbc5i.com/news/10556031/detail.html

Fort Worth Police Officer Killed In Crash

POSTED: 9:24 am CST December 17, 2006
    UPDATED: 6:42 pm CST December 17, 2006

FORT WORTH, Texas -- A Fort Worth police officer was killed early Sunday when his patrol car was struck from behind and burst into flames as he was helping a motorist with a flat tire, police said.

Officer Dwayne Freeto stopped to help a woman change a flat tire at about 4 a.m. in the southbound lanes of I-35W between Morningside and Rosedale.

Investigators said when Freeto returned to his vehicle, just moments later, a speeding Lexus slammed into the back of his cruiser. Both vehicles burst into flames on impact and Freeto was trapped inside his car, police said. After the fire was extinguished his vehicle was almost unrecognizable.

"The officer was pronounced deceased inside the car. We don't know what that is a result of, the crash or the fire. But it's just terrible," Lt. Dean Sullivan said.

The impact of the crash forced the patrol car into the stalled BMW and the pickup truck of a driver that had also stopped to help the motorist.

The 20-year-old driver of the Lexus was taken to Parkland Hospital's burn unit where police said he is in critical condition. Blood tests will determine if he was intoxicated.

The woman the officer was assisting was not injured and was talking to investigators. The pick up truck driver injured his hand trying to rescue the officer.

"He broke the glass with his hands, and got injuries to his hands," Sullivan said.

A spokesman for the department said investigators are trying to determine the cause of the accident, but speed is the prominent factor. Police also said although it is early in their investigation; they believe alcohol may have played a role.

Officials said Freeto, 34, was a rookie who had just graduated from the police academy in March, and had previously served in the U.S. Army. Freeto lived in Grandview and was married with two daughters ages 3 and 9.

Later in the morning, officers gathered at the police academy to support each other. Fort Worth Police Chief Ralph Mendoza said it is a difficult time.

"I hope that the citizens of Fort Worth support this family, support the department, and help them heal," Mendoza said.

Freeto died doing his job protecting the public, Mayor Mike Moncrief said.

"Please know that he was one of Fort Worth's finest," Moncrief said. "There's a reason we call them Fort Worth's finest. That's because they are."

Fort Worth Police have set up a help and support phone bank to aide with questions, condolences, or donation offers the public may have. That number is 817-392-6175.

(\__/)

General Patten is offline Surgeon General

RIP

best wishes to his friends and family, and the guy who tried to save him.

I dont know if this wouldve helped the guy get him out of there in time, but I'd advise everyone to get one and keep it in the car just in case. Ive heard they are quite useful, and are available at most hardware stores

Stanley FUBAR
    Last edited by General Patten; 12-18-06 at 12:16 AM.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

There are simply no words that can do justice to this tragedy!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Copper51 is offline Up all night
    RIP. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and partners.
    The statements and opinions made here are of Copper51's only. They do not reflect my department or the city I work for.
    So lay off, I'm offduty and spouting off.

Smile Stranded Motorist Calls Officer Her 'Guardian Angel'

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/10564020/detail.html
    (video of her account on web site)

FORT WORTH, Texas -- The two survivors and witnesses of the fiery crash that killed Fort Worth police officer Dwayne Freeto said he lost his life protecting theirs.

Sunday morning Adriana Delgadillo was stranded on Interstate 35W with a flat tire when Freeto stopped to help.

"I mean he was my guardian angel, my hero and if it had not been for him I just don't know what would have happened," Delgadillo said. "He told me he was there to protect me and that's exactly what he did."

Adriana's friend Roy Delgado was also there trying to get the flat tire off of the black BMW.

"We finally just gave up, we couldn't do it," Delgado said.

They called roadside assistance and Freeto offered to wait to protect them from traffic. When Freeto returned to his vehicle a speeding Lexus slammed into the back of his cruiser.

The impact of the crash forced the patrol car into the stalled BMW and Delgado's Dodge pickup truck.

"All I heard was the impact, the explosion, and how the police car was coming right at us," Delgado said

The officer's Crown Victoria and the Lexus burst into flames on impact and Freeto was trapped inside his car. Delgado broke the windows of the burning car trying to save the officer.

"I tried to reach in there and the flames were really, really high," Delgado said.

Delgadillo said the horror of the tragedy is unforgettable.

"All I can think of is the car, and his family and kids and how hard it must be for them," Delgadillo said.

Samuel Lee Hilburn, the driver accused of hitting Freeto was still hospitalized at Parkland Hospital Monday night with severe burns. Police are waiting for blood tests to see if he was drunk at the time of the crash. Police told NBC 5 they believe he will face criminal charges.

(\__/)

Memorial Fund Information

http://www.fortworthpd.com/Freeto.htm

Donations may be mailed or taken to:
    Fort Worth Police Officers' Association (FWPOA)
    904 Collier
    Fort Worth, TX 76102

or

Any Chase Bank
    (Dwayne Freeto Fund)

You may e-mail any messages to the family at:
    fwpdweb@fortworthpd.com

(\__/)

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Very very tragic. RIP
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    May he RIP.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information