Welcome to the APBWeb.
    stumpy is offline Officer First Class

thp trooper shot

Trooper shot and killed near Covington on 01-06-07

COVINGTON, Tenn. Authorities are looking for two suspects this morning in the fatal shooting of a state trooper in West Tennessee.
    A Tennessee Highway Patrol officer was found fatally shot late last night in Tipton County north of Memphis.
    Hunters found the 24-year-old state trooper lying dead beside his patrol car and notified authorities.
    A spokesman from the state Department of Safety says footage from the patrol car's video camera shows the trooper pulling over two men in a compact car.
    He was trying to get them out of the car when he was shot twice, at least once in the head.
    The trooper's name was not being released pending notification of family.
    Authorities believe the two suspects were carrying drugs and headed toward Nashville after the shooting.
    " Therefore those skilled at the unorthodox are infinite as heaven and earth, inexhaustible as the great rivers. When they begin again, like the days and months ; they die and are reborn, like the four seasons."
    - Sun Tzu
    " The Art of War "

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Catch the filth ASAP.

RIP my friend.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Rip BROTHER
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Rip

JCSO8 is offline JCSO8
    Can someone explain why his dispatch did not know where he was and upon countless status checks did not send someone to help possibly a little bit sooner?

CelticCop is offline The Dark Lord
    Godsdamn it... I grew up in TN... They have EASILY the friendliest troopers on the planet. Great guys. This pisses me the Hell off.

My prayers are with his family... My curses dog the steps of his killer/s.
    "Where's your towel Arthur?" -Ford Prefect

"You! On your knees!" -Green Jello

Some take delight in the carriages a rollin'
    and some take delight in the hurley and the bowlin',
    I take delight in the juice of the barley,
    and courtin' pretty fair maids in the morning bright and early...

"You are, without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of..." Cmdre. Norrington "Ah, but you have heard of me." Capt. Jack Sparrow

Warning my statements do not reflect the policies, procedures or views of my agency. As a matter of fact, they think I'm just as nuts as you do, so shove it and blow it out of your fart tube.

phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Rip
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    I just saw this on ODMP. Truly sad. May he rest in eternal peace. Thoughts and prayers en-route to his family, friends, department, and community.
    Last edited by Crimebytes2; 01-07-07 at 12:42 PM.

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    This is just an update and some more info...

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- State officials said Sunday they had arrested two people they believed were responsible for the killing of a state trooper who was shot during a traffic stop in western Tennessee.

The 24-year-old trooper pulled over two men and was trying to get them out of the vehicle Saturday night when he was shot twice, according to footage from the patrol car's video camera. At least one bullet struck him in the head, said Mike Browning, a Department of Safety spokesman.

On Sunday, two men were "arrested without incident" at a hotel near downtown Nashville, said Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jennifer Johnson.

TBI director Mark Gwin said "after interviewing the two men we feel confident we have the two people in custody that murdered the state trooper."

Hunters found Trooper Calvin Jenks' body beside his patrol car near the intersection of state highways 14 and 54, Browning said.

Authorities believed the suspects were carrying drugs and drove toward Nashville after the shooting in Tipton County, which is just north of Memphis, Browning said before Sunday's arrests.

Browning said Jenks smelled marijuana on the driver. He said that when Jenks asked the man if he had drugs in the car, the suspect eventually admitted there were "drugs in the center console" of the car.

Browning said Jenks then went back to the passenger and asked him if he had drugs. The man said he didn't, then opened fire, Browning said.

Investigators found what they believe is Jenks' flashlight in a garbage can at a Wal-Mart in Brownsville, 13 miles east of the scene of the shooting. Browning said one of the suspects bought a sweat shirt at the Wal-Mart and authorities were trying to get video footage from inside the store.

Jenks, 24, had been a trooper for two years and transferred to the Tipton area from Marshall County in 2005 to be closer to his fiancee, he said.

RIP Trooper Jenks..
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    RIP Trooper.....and may the gutless wonder/s who stole your life rot in an eternal pit of hell

Darkness is offline Memphis Police
    RIP.

I agree with the above statement.

Copper51 is offline Up all night
    Rest In Peace
    Last edited by Copper51; 01-08-07 at 03:32 PM.
    The statements and opinions made here are of Copper51's only. They do not reflect my department or the city I work for.
    So lay off, I'm offduty and spouting off.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by trooper_hopeful_51 View Post
    RIP Trooper.....and may the gutless wonder/s who stole your life rot in an eternal pit of hell
    +1. Love to know the reason he laid on the ground until hunters found him.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

bloomerpuddin is offline Rookie
    I attended the academy with Trooper Jenks. He was a great guy and a very good Trooper. This is a tragedy that we as Troopers here have managed to avoid since 1991(last Trooper shot and killed)
    Although we have had alot of OISings.
    Our radio system is late 1950's technology. We just got a CAD system in all districts LAST year!!
    We don't have enough dispatchers(or the right ones) to handle the volume of traffic stops that we do in a shift. So we don't call our stops out unless "we have a bad feeling" I'm in a 12 county district with most of the time a single dispatcher covering all 12 counties. On top of that we don't have laptops or GPS. The new administration is trying hard but the TN legislature is going to have to come off the money to help us. Unfortunately we are the red headed step children in the state right now.
    I won't Monday morning quarterback Calvin on this stop but I will try to learn from it. I will however question the administrators and politicians that supply our equipment.
    These scumbags were part of an organized drug trafficking ring and they had this planned before they left Texas. They knew what they would do if questioned beyond a simple traffic violation. I'm K-9 handler/interdiction officer and these are the people that I look for everyday I go 10-8. I just wish I could have been there for my brother.
    One more thing for you guys/gals that work smaller roads. These turds exited the interstate west of Memphis/Shelby county due to the amount of interdiction officers in that area. The bad guys know where interdiction efforts are strongest. They were on a desolate isolated two lane state highway in a 3rd party rental.
    Be careful!!!

Rest easy Troop...
    Last edited by bloomerpuddin; 01-08-07 at 06:11 PM.

OFK
    OFK is offline Trollicious
    Quote Originally Posted by jcso16-8 View Post
    Can someone explain why his dispatch did not know where he was and upon countless status checks did not send someone to help possibly a little bit sooner?

Uhhhh can you explain how you know that dispatch did not know where he was? Most traffic is called out and you get at the very least a tag...This happened in a matter of seconds, and it takes longer than that to take the info on the lic plate and to run whoever is attached to the vehicle.

KSCop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    For some reason, some troopers don't call out their stops. Dispatch makes them feel like they're too busy, so the troopers just handle things on their own. Please don't ever get into this mindset...bother the dispatchers. RIP Trooper Jenks.

OFK
    OFK is offline Trollicious
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Trooper shot and killed near Covington on 01-06-07

COVINGTON, Tenn. Authorities are looking for two suspects this morning in the fatal shooting of a state trooper in West Tennessee.
    A Tennessee Highway Patrol officer was found fatally shot late last night in Tipton County north of Memphis.
    Hunters found the 24-year-old state trooper lying dead beside his patrol car and notified authorities.
    A spokesman from the state Department of Safety says footage from the patrol car's video camera shows the trooper pulling over two men in a compact car.
    He was trying to get them out of the car when he was shot twice, at least once in the head.
    The trooper's name was not being released pending notification of family.
    Authorities believe the two suspects were carrying drugs and headed toward Nashville after the shooting.

RIP wee one..

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    My thoughts and prayers to his family and partners are enroute.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information