Thread: On duty Suicide

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

On duty Suicide

Jessica Hansen KENOSHA NEWS
    Jan 8, 2006

A Pleasant Prairie police officer died Friday night of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, Chief Brian Wagner said Saturday.

Officers were called about 9:10 p.m. Friday to a report of an "officer down" at the Keno Outdoor Theater, 9102 Sheridan Road.

Officer Eric C. Feifer, 29, of Kenosha, was on patrol in that area, Pleasant Prairie Assistant Chief Tim Becker said. Feifer apparently shot himself while on duty and reportedly used his duty weapon.

Wagner would not comment on whether Feifer left a note, but said police were confident the death was a suicide.

"It's difficult because nobody saw this coming," Wagner said. "And he was a nice kid and a good policeman, and there's not much else to say."

Feifer was a Pleasant Prairie police officer for five years. He spent the last roughly two years as a field training officer who handled mostly new cops, Becker said. He worked second shift patrol Friday night.

A debriefing was held Friday night for Pleasant Prairie police and firefighters. Counseling services will continue to be offered, Becker said.

"Any loss here is a big loss. We're a very small department, a very small family," he said. "These guys are really taking it hard."

Wagner echoed that. "We're going to handle this as a family would," he said.

Feifer was a graduate of Tremper High School and Gateway Technical College, according to records.

He had no children and was not married, Becker said. His parents live in Kenosha. Wagner said he spoke to them and they were "stunned and heartbroken."

"He always seemed to be a happy kid," said one relative, who did not want to be identified. "He was well-liked and well-loved by everyone who knew him. And we will miss him very much."

An autopsy was expected to officially determine the cause of death. No autopsy had been scheduled as of Saturday afternoon, Wagner said. Police will be present, he said.

No funeral arrangements had been made as of Saturday either, Becker said.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

lepdford is offline K-9 Officer
    Prayer sent

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    That's rough....
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    it's a tough thing to deal with...If anyone ever has to deal with this from their department check out www.tearsofacop.com ...seems to be a decent website
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    That's awful. I hope I never have to deal with that.

Einstein is offline Officer First Class
    Saddening. Prayer sent as well.
    Servamus et Servimus........"To Serve and Protect"

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Sad whatever he thought was going on atleast he is much happier and safer now.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Curt581 is offline Whatever
    Verified LEO
    That happened a few miles south of me. I got my AS from Gateway Tech, too. I know a guy with the S.O. in that county. He told me he heard the whole department was completely shocked. No indication of depression, no warning signs at all. Very sad.

26Trainer is offline Master Officer
    That was a great site jmur5074, it brought back a lot of memories. It is sad that our brothers and sisters turn to suicide to end their troubles. Unfortunatly most of us miss the signs of their despair or just brush it off as them having a bad day. God bless us all!!!
    "This flag, which we honor and under which we serve, is the emblem of our unity, our power, our thought and purpose as a nation. It has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation." Woodrow Wilson, 1917

Thread Information